Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Quite simply say "Touch my s*** again and we will have a discussion about whats yours is yours and whats mine is mine. Mkay?"

I would put a motion detector on the flood lights. Its just easier all around no matter what wierdie does.
The flood lights do have a motion detector on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
The landlord pays for all utilities except cable & wifi. The rooms rent for $425. I pay $50 more as I have the studio.

It's possible he's thinking his rent is going to go up if the a/c bill goes up. However, we have one person in the house who's home all day long, with his a/c on so I don't know get it.
In that case, I have no idea. I wouldn't turn off my A/C when I go out, because I don't want it to be 100 degrees in my house when I come home. If the floodlights are on motion sensors, I would leave them on all the time.

I think some of the answers you got from people here are a bit harsh. I think cussing at anyone when addressing a problem is counterproductive, and causes problems where there don't need to be any.

I would, however, tell him that he needs to back off on micromanaging YOUR life. He isn't your parent.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
In that case, I have no idea. I wouldn't turn off my A/C when I go out, because I don't want it to be 100 degrees in my house when I come home. If the floodlights are on motion sensors, I would leave them on all the time.

I think some of the answers you got from people here are a bit harsh. I think cussing at anyone when addressing a problem is counterproductive, and causes problems where there don't need to be any.

I would, however, tell him that he needs to back off on micromanaging YOUR life. He isn't your parent.
Thank you Lacerta. I've been told I'm also making that little box unit work harder when it has to cool down the room after 9 hours of Florida heat.

I'm not one to yell unless totally pushed all the way. I just didn't know whether to talk to the housemate first or the landlord. I thought it odd that the housemate said the landlord wanted me to do whatever when, in fact, if the landlord wanted me to turn off my a/c, he could easily email me & let me know without a third party interference.

So, yeah, I will take a copy of my lease home, and make the following points:

1. No where does it say when, where or how long I can run my a/c.
2. You, Mr. Know it All are not on my lease & therefore, not my landlord and I do not need you managing my affairs.

Any more said will just be icing on the cake. I will try to remain dignified in my snap.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
He sounds quite an insufferable twit. I hope you knock the wind out his sails. After you've told him to mind his own bloody business, let us know how it works out!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:40 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
The flood lights do have a motion detector on them.

WTF is he doing? Setting it up so you can get attacked by your door because the flood lights are not working?!.....I would start to question this person's motivations quite a bit. Thats just odd. Creepy odd.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:13 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Tell him him he needs to find a female he can control and get a life.
He's probably really worried about a rental increase, I quess he needs a cheap date at that.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 AM

Update:

I went home last night and confronted him, sort of....he was walking through the kitchen & I told him that I don't have anything regarding when or how I use my a/c. He didn't even look at me but in zipping back by me he said he did. I find this hard to believe as we're all month to month where we live. The landlord explained this to me prior to moving in. That way, if someone's uncomfortable, there's no lag time in leaving & no one has to stay and be miserable. Many people have lived in the house long term this way, saving for their own downpayments on houses/condos, etc. The guy who's room I took over had been there almost 11 years. It's a quiet house, again, very convenient and certainly reasonable.

As long as Mr. Know it All eases up; we'll all get along just fine.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,077 times
It seems like your other housemates have it right. Listen to him so he will eventually shut up, and then, just disregard everything he said and move on with your day.

He sounds like a control freak and he probably won't ever change.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
It seems like your other housemates have it right. Listen to him so he will eventually shut up, and then, just disregard everything he said and move on with your day.

He sounds like a control freak and he probably won't ever change.
Exactly.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM

Update: 7/27

Came home last Friday & let this person know that they needed to screw my flood lamp bulbs back in...another housemate was present & just about hit the ground laughing...they didn't think I had it in me...

I went in cooked some dinner & the lights can go back on regardless of me being home...or not...lol

This same housemate is actually now being nice/more respectfull. Hmmm...and I told him he should actually keep his air on as it would probably not be good for him to let humidity creep into his new flat screen tv wires...he he he....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting