Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 39,009 times

Advertisements

I live in Los Angeles. In February, my roommate moved out (we had just signed another 12 month lease), so I had a new person move in. The new girl gave her security deposit directly to the old roommate, and was considered a subleaser (she did not have to sign the lease, only roommate agreement forms through our landlord). On June 8, the new roommate told me she'd be moving out at the end of the month, giving me less than 30 days notice. While she lived here, she was late on rent 2 months in a row, causing my checks to not clear with the bank, which resulted in over $150 worth of charges that she never paid for. She was late on house bills every month. She did not clean her 'areas' when she moved out, even though I specifically asked her to. And now she's demanding her deposit back. What are my legal rights as far as this goes? Do I have to refund all or part of her deposit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:04 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnay765 View Post
I live in Los Angeles. In February, my roommate moved out (we had just signed another 12 month lease), so I had a new person move in. The new girl gave her security deposit directly to the old roommate, and was considered a subleaser (she did not have to sign the lease, only roommate agreement forms through our landlord). On June 8, the new roommate told me she'd be moving out at the end of the month, giving me less than 30 days notice. While she lived here, she was late on rent 2 months in a row, causing my checks to not clear with the bank, which resulted in over $150 worth of charges that she never paid for. She was late on house bills every month. She did not clean her 'areas' when she moved out, even though I specifically asked her to. And now she's demanding her deposit back. What are my legal rights as far as this goes? Do I have to refund all or part of her deposit?

$150 is alot in bank charges for 2 months, do you have proof of that?
Legally 30 days notice in writing is the law, what proof do you have of
the June 8th conversation, a he said she said. How much time did it take
to do the clean-up she didn't?

Honestly, she doesn't sound like a good tenant. Finding the right person
can be difficult.

You haven't mentioned how much the security deposit is either, is it equal
to one months rent? I wouldn't keep the entire deposit.

Last edited by virgode; 07-23-2009 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: pghing

Old 07-30-2009, 05:27 PM

The security deposit was $750. The bank fees were $25 for each NSF fee (2 months), $25 for a returned check fee (she was suppose to deposit money in my account but did not), $25 fee to the apartment manager for return check, and I had to drive a little over 40 miles r/t to my bank to get a money oder because of the returned check...so maybe more like $120 in fees for bank/check fees. But she was also late on bills every single month and caused me financial hardship because of that. I do have all my receipts and can prove all those charges.
I also have the text message she sent me on the 8th stating that she was moving out on the 1st.
As for the cleaning, I'd say it took a good 2+ hours. There was a lot of deep cleaning that needed to be done.
In your opinion, what would a fair amount of money be to withhold?

Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
The security deposit was $750. The bank fees were $25 for each NSF fee (2 months), $25 for a returned check fee (she was suppose to deposit money in my account but did not), $25 fee to the apartment manager for return check, and I had to drive a little over 40 miles r/t to my bank to get a money oder because of the returned check...so maybe more like $120 in fees for bank/check fees. But she was also late on bills every single month and caused me financial hardship because of that. I do have all my receipts and can prove all those charges.
I also have the text message she sent me on the 8th stating that she was moving out on the 1st.
As for the cleaning, I'd say it took a good 2+ hours. There was a lot of deep cleaning that needed to be done.
In your opinion, what would a fair amount of money be to withhold?

Your the lease holder, I'm assuming and financially responsible.
What that means to an LL is you should have the financial
ability to pay your rent on time, without the subleters. There the
icing on the cake for you.

1]I would charge her, late fees, if allowable by state and only if
late fees were previously discussed and agreed upon.

2]Also, since you do have email ,proof of the date you recieved
their move-out notice, charge them rent for the 8 days.

3]Charge for the cost of carpet cleaning and supplies.

Take into consideration , time frame, depending on the state
you have a certain alotted time to do SD refunds, proof of
charges and deductions. Otherwise, your making more trouble
for yourself. Get online and look at your States Landlord tenant
laws, do it the right way.

Last edited by virgode; 07-30-2009 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-30-2009, 06:08 PM

So would I be considered her landlord? The law states for California that I have 21 days after move out, which is already passed.
Ugh. I hate this!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
So would I be considered her landlord? The law states for California that I have 21 days after move out, which is already passed.
Ugh. I hate this!

If you end up in court your going to owe them money.

California law is strict on this from what I've read on the forum,
although I'm not real familiar myself. Charging the late fees is out,
you can not charge late fees in the state of CA, that much I do know.

You have to look at subleting as running a business, you can't wing it.

Technically, 30 days notice start at the beginning of the month, so legally
her notice to vacate would have started July 1st, so you
do have that in your favor and means you can charge for the month
of July and be with in your rights.

Last edited by virgode; 07-30-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: pghing

Old 07-30-2009, 06:33 PM

Well, I was charged late fees by my apartment manager because the roommate did not pay on time. I think it's only fair she pay for those, correct?
And if I'm reading it correctly, her giving me notice on June 8 means that the 30 days would have started on July 1? So 'technically' if I wanted to (which I don't necessarily want to do), I could charge her for the full month of July? If that's the case, I think withholding $200 for 8 days is fair (the daily pro-rated amount of rent x's 8 days), plus the fees I incurred for her being late on rent. If it came down to it, would that hold up in court? I know California is STRICT when it comes to renters laws, and the tenant almost always wins, so I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way!!!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:36 PM

You went over the 21 days,
Should your renter be aware of her rights, your in deep.
Honestly, give her back all her money.

The next subleting you do better get it right, like I said,
its business.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Well, I was charged late fees by my apartment manager because the roommate did not pay on time. I think it's only fair she pay for those, correct?
And if I'm reading it correctly, her giving me notice on June 8 means that the 30 days would have started on July 1? So 'technically' if I wanted to (which I don't necessarily want to do), I could charge her for the full month of July? If that's the case, I think withholding $200 for 8 days is fair (the daily pro-rated amount of rent x's 8 days), plus the fees I incurred for her being late on rent. If it came down to it, would that hold up in court? I know California is STRICT when it comes to renters laws, and the tenant almost always wins, so I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way!!!

Your renting through the complex and her subleting from you have nothing
to do with each other. The complex is your LL, not your subleters. You
are the subleters LL. You have to state your terms and conditions from day one.
Read my first post. You and only you are responsible to pay your rent on time,
with or without a subleter. Your subleter has no obligation to your LL.
Is that starting to make sense?

Last edited by virgode; 07-30-2009 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: pghing

Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 PM

California Department of Consumer Affairs

Your best website for Landlord Tenant Law in CA.

LL forfeits entire security deposit if not refunded in the allowable
21 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting