Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petecheng View Post
The bad tenant was in court last week and the judge requested us to give them 2 months to find another apartment. If she doesn't move out Oct 12, then the shreiff will be taking her stuff out. She won't be paying us back for the 8 months rent she owed us. My parents agreed. thinking she can be nice for the rest of two months.

But last weekend she went crazy again in the apartment. At 3 AM, she has 3 guys coming and out of the house, bring heavy bricks up to the apartment (not sure what she is doing)

She spill water all over the apartment from her washer's pipe, and the water ended up leaking to the first floor ceiling, and all the ceiling tiles are falling down.

Can we call the cops on her? By the 2 months time comes, the second floor will be destroyed.

We paid the lawyers closed to $2,000 in fees, and this is what we got.

My mom is about to go crazy, She now suffering from depression.
First,
You now have a court order, make sure that you do not let the time/date on it, and read it very carefully, go by without following through. This means if they have not left the property by the time/date on the order then you will have to go to the court and file something called a non compliance (it may go by another name in your state).
Second,
Since you agreed with the judge to allow the tenant to stay until October then you must comply with this or the order will become void and you will be right back to where you started from. This means that you can not harass the tenant. She is holding all the cards and is hoping you will do something to void the agreement from court. Do not do that! The only manner at hand is that she leaves the property ok? Damages will be dealt with after the property is returned to you. Hang in there.
Believe it or not you are winning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 05:31 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
---"Believe it or not you are winning "--

Sounds like the big winner is the tenant.

2 months to find another apartment, 8 months of free rent already, and no lawyer bill of $2,000,

Heck, who said living is expensive for deadbeats?
( and sympathetic judges and laws that favor them are the problem )

Old 08-18-2009, 05:35 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I would also call child protective services if she is neglecting her children. Make life uncomfortable but do so in a legal way. I wish your parents luck in getting rid of this woman. She sounds HORRIBLE.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 AM

54 posts, read 265,459 times
Quote:
Since you agreed with the judge to allow the tenant to stay until October then you must comply with this or the order will become void and you will be right back to where you started from. This means that you can not harass the tenant. She is holding all the cards and is hoping you will do something to void the agreement from court. Do not do that! The only manner at hand is that she leaves the property ok? Damages will be dealt with after the property is returned to you. Hang in there.
Thanks for the advice, yes, we are doing exactly that, we are not going to give her any excuses to bite us back.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM

54 posts, read 265,459 times
Quote:

2 months to find another apartment, 8 months of free rent already, and no lawyer bill of $2,000,

Yes, we are down $12,000 as a result of this tenant, big lesson learned.

I sometimes feel bad for her because she basically destroys her own life, she might be happy temporary, but it usually never lasts. I feel very sorry for her kids.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:47 PM

You are so welcomed!
Lessons are often learned the hard way.
You are winning, just follow the order to the very letter.
The next tenant will not be able to push you around, you will soon have your property back to you. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:54 PM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
one thing about being a landlord ,its good until its not... i have been doing it for over 20 years in nyc and we are now in the process of liquiding the apartments and retiring....i would never ever be a landlord again....ever did i say EVER

Old 08-18-2009, 08:38 PM

See my current location
I have already done that!
Hurry, it is a nice change.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
one thing about being a landlord ,its good until its not... i have been doing it for over 20 years in nyc and we are now in the process of liquiding the apartments and retiring....i would never ever be a landlord again....ever did i say EVER
hoping to be in your shoes in 3 years. Never again.
d

Old 08-20-2009, 02:13 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

The judges believe they are looking out for the children's best interest. That's another reason why our system is so screwed up. Bleeding hearts and the parents that know how to use it in their favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting