Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,539,533 times

Advertisements

The wife of my landlord last year made a nasty screaming tirade toward me accusing me of living like a "pig", accused me of starting a roach infestation claiming other residents saw roaches coming out of my apt. She threatened to evict me. I paid the super and his wife to clean the kitchen area(it was a bit dirty and i had put things in plastic containers which kind of helped) and after that they set off foggers in the kitchen and bathroom. Problem solved. At least for then.

I went to Atlanta for Thanksgiving to visit my ailing father who passed away when i was there. I wasn't planning for it so i had to track down a neighbor and asked him to please tell the ll i would be a few days late with the rent since i originally planned to come back to NY prior to the 6th(when the rent was due) but ended coming back on the 6th and had yet to cash my work paycheck before i could pay them

They gave me absolutely no problems and did not charge me anything for the late pay(3 days after the grace period). She told me she was sorry for the death of dad and then went on to tell me she wanted me to keep letting the exterminator in (when the roach problem was no more) on Saturdays which i did. then a month later she accuses me of not letting the ext in when i certainly did and even signed for it. When I tried to explain i did, she would not listen. Go figure

2 months ago she accuses me of "using the elevator too much"(I have a lot of errands to run and am normally very busy and she can see me come and go thru their security camera) and she tells me at the rate i come and go i should be living in the basement floor apts. She claims it's "abuse" of the elevator. Again, go figure

then out of nowhere 2 days ago she's up on our floor visiting her son(who lives in the end apt) as I'm opening my door and she's greeting me by my nickname and comes over asks me how i'm doing and asks me if i am letting the exterminator in and i tell her yes of course (i sign for it every month), very pleasant demeanor, no pit bull stuff. Like a totally different person

What gives? Could it be that compared to the trouble she gets from other tenants(I know for a fact she does get trouble from others) she knows that i am a quiet tenant who pays on time (and informs them if not) and i don't bother anyone

Her husband(who described me as a "nice guy" when i first looked at the apt 4 years ago) is always cordial to me, as is her son. i was always a bit confused by why she gets an attitude with me and not the hub and son

last month one of my neighbors circulated a petition complaining of a lack of hot water and sufficient water pressure, but in reality they informed tenants in advance by posting signs whenever work was being done on the boilers, that it would affect the hot water. my neighbor asked me if i would like to sign it but i refused because i didn't experience a problem and the neighbor told me she was doing it just to get back at the landlord anyway. these neighbors are cool with me but they have a situation going on where mother and daughter are quarreling loudly day and night and when we hearr these blood curdling screams the dog barks like a maniac and the kid can be heard crying. i know they have had several run ins with the landlord over what i don't really know

so anyway, perhaps the wife sees i'm not jumping on the bandwagon wioth the other tenants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 PM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,009,321 times
I'm sorry about your Dad.

My condolensces.

Ummm...roaches just don't "appear". I guess in NYC they might have a chance......

We don't do bugs out here.....considering the black widow factor, scorpions and such....

Just be nice....see what happens.

Jets fan?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 AM

Default thanks

for the condolences. Not a football fan but more of a yankee fan since i live 4 miles from the Stadium. I was in Arizona in 76 to Mesa Verde and the Grand Canyon

Old 08-13-2009, 08:00 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,417,662 times
She may well be mentally ill to some degree, at least some anger issues. You can't fix that.

She doesn't like you, and due to the above, I doubt you will be able to do anything about that either. I sounds like time to start looking for another place.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,440,167 times
I wouldn't feel singled out as her target. She's a Landlord not your
friend, although, I understand your deserving of more respect than
your given, don't expect it.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Default i've been told

their culture (Yugoslavian) frowns on people past a certain age who are unmarried. I fit that category. she was fine with me when i signed the lease and hopefully she will continue to be as cool as she was earlier this week(not sure what changed) from now on

Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,440,167 times
Marital status is part of Fair Housing .

Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 PM

Default well i suppose

she can't deny me an apt (which she didn't) since i'm 47 and never married(subversive, subversive!!) but nothing can stop her from thinking ill of me for being single at 47. she probably wonders how a single man in his 40's is able to have a decent job that pays the rent since i don't yet have a "successful woman behind me"

Old 08-13-2009, 02:15 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
read the post, late on the rent bugs in the apt.
only issues i saw. you dont like landlords do you?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,130,095 times
My condolences to your dad.

I have to say, I have never heard of one being accused of elevator overuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting