Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times

Advertisements

A new tenant just moved in and now the AC window unit is dripping right down into mine and water is building up. I don't see a tube diverting it to the side. Does it seem out of line to tell the LL to fix this? I have no clue why they would not do it right in the first place. My drip pan in overwhelmed with the current humidity + this improper install job.

Would pulling my window unit out and cleaning it do anything.

And of course this does only start when its dark so I can't go out there to see if my unit is clogged

HATE it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
I would let the LL know about the problem. It is a problem for you now and will be a problem for the LL later when rot and or mold sets in. Window units have a slot on the bottom for an insert and tube to divert the water if units are one over the other.
I also take window units to the spray carwash every 2 or 3 years. I spray the coils in front and back. Be careful on the direction of the spray, you could bend all the fins. The fins are thin aluminum. The spray cleaning cleans out the fins, front and back and also gets rid of crude that builds up in the case. it benefits you by making the unit run more efficiently. No matter how often you clean the filter, the unit gets dirty. The spray wash will not hurt the electric components. It rains into the unit and it is made to take some spray and wetness. The first time I did it I was scared to death that I was about to destroy the unit. So far, not one unit has suffered. They all run faster, better, and more efficient.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:37 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Oh my god dude...I did not take it to the car wash but I have a detachable shower head...

So anyway..first freaky thing...It just started clogging after it made a funny noise this past week. A HUGE shield bug came out of it half dead when I flipped it around so the water could drain. It was over and inch long and then it started draining better.

IMAGE: Wikipedia

But since I had the whole unit out I sprayed it anyway. I had done it while in the window with just a spray bottle and hot water...

But I sprayed diluted 409 on it and let it sit a few minutes and then really rinsed it out the shower...CHUNKS! They just came pouring out and it was soot-like (I live in a city). I thought some stuff would come out but..Good LORD! LOL

Double bonus is that I took the whole thing out (casing and all) and was able to slide it to one side just a little more while still being on the platform and now the unit upstairs does not hit it at all. ☺

It is running way better and sounds so much better. I had no idea it could get this dirty but I never had a window unit in a city before. Only small towns with cleaner air.

But being this is a huge unit that requires two people to lift it.. I am very glad this will only be an issue every couple years! LOL

Old 08-27-2009, 07:35 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
The chunks is why I take it to the spray car wash. Congrats on learning a new trick. I was amazed the first time I did it. I'm glad it worked for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting