Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 13,675 times

Advertisements

I just moved into my new apartment to find the place left uncleaned. There was heavy grime in the tub/toilets that it looked as if they were never washed since being installed. The fridge has what appears to be juice drippings on the walls and shelves and general dirt. There's strange brown drippings on the walls and the carpets and floors were not vacuumed or swept, among many other things.

However, my roommate had already been living here for a little over a month, and did not mention anything to the LL about the dirt. Do I have any right to say anything now? There's too much dirt to be solely the result of my roommate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,724,835 times
If the roommate didnt mention it on the initial walk through then I really don't think you have any options with the LL.

You should be questioning the roommate and having him either clean it or pay someone to because he moved in with it that way.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:06 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,356,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaurhirwen View Post
I just moved into my new apartment to find the place left uncleaned. There was heavy grime in the tub/toilets that it looked as if they were never washed since being installed. The fridge has what appears to be juice drippings on the walls and shelves and general dirt. There's strange brown drippings on the walls and the carpets and floors were not vacuumed or swept, among many other things.

However, my roommate had already been living here for a little over a month, and did not mention anything to the LL about the dirt. Do I have any right to say anything now? There's too much dirt to be solely the result of my roommate.
Does the roommate say it was dirty when they moved in? The reason I ask is that some people are really just that much of a slob, that they can get an apartment that filthy in a month. We just had to tear out and replace carpet in a rental with 2 month old carpet in it, because the people who moved in destroyed it that quickly.

Personally, I wouldn't have moved in if it were in that condition. If I had no where else to go, I would have loaded my boxes and furniture into the garage and demanded the place be cleaned.

I don't know that there is much that can be done about it now. Photos of the condition at move in would have been the 2nd best solution, but that isn't an option now either. I would go ahead and take photos anyway, for your own protection, but they won't really prove anything if you have already moved your stuff in.

If the roommate has lived there for a month and hasn't made an effort to clean, even if it wasn't his responsibility, then he doesn't sound like a roommate I would want to live with personally. Given no other choice, I would have dug in and started cleaning right away. I can't imagine just living on and ignoring other people's caked grime.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,675 times
I've known this guy for 4 years, though this is the first time living with him. He's not the type to make this much of a mess. And the first day I moved in, I scrubbed the tub and toilet, as there was no way i was going to use them in the state that they were in, and have been working on the other things since.

I suppose once the roommate comes back from wherever he disappeared to, I'll have a "nice" talk with him.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:01 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,302,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaurhirwen View Post
I've known this guy for 4 years, though this is the first time living with him. He's not the type to make this much of a mess. And the first day I moved in, I scrubbed the tub and toilet, as there was no way i was going to use them in the state that they were in, and have been working on the other things since.

I suppose once the roommate comes back from wherever he disappeared to, I'll have a "nice" talk with him.

Rurh Roh! (Scooby Doo)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting