Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 06:06 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,947 times

Advertisements

I live in a garden apt on the third floor and one of my obnoxious neighbors constantly plays loud music on large speakers, where the bass vibrates the walls and the building. I called the landlord and they have an onsight police officer who went there and they turned it down. An hour later it is up again. I know it is in this building, but the bad thing is that I cant' figure out which apt it is coming from! I think it is in the basement or one of those apts, but it does not sound like it when I go out and look. I hear noisy tvs, but not the loud speakers. I called the police and they said they will come out to talk to them, but need an apt. It is also hard because none of my neighbors speak English, only Spanish. I live in a so so area. I live in a section 8 apartment also and I am on disability. I am not sure if I can contact the housing authority about it or not. My apartment is not bad, its just some of the people who live here that are obnoxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,437 times
i can empathize with you---being om disability usually means well made apts in quiet buildings r not available to you----apply for a different locale if you can----i'm doing that myself---good luck!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2long View Post
i can empathize with you---being om disability usually means well made apts in quiet buildings r not available to you----apply for a different locale if you can----i'm doing that myself---good luck!
Well believe it or not, the apartments are built very well! I only hear that vibrational music because it is outrageously loud. Otherwise it is quite and I never hear a lot of stuff except maybe for kids. I only moved here, because I was a fool and messed up my credit. Those free credit report commercials are so me! The guy with the old car, 1980s phone! People do not realize how important credit is and i was not taught this when I was young. I wish I could go back in time!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,261 times
could you talk to the building/apartment manager also so he/she will be aware of your dilemma? They might be able to help you track down which apartment is coming from or have a talk with the tenants living there.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:01 PM

267 posts, read 1,288,826 times
Read your contract/rental agreement. It should/might have a clause that covers loud noise. Mine does. Mine says that between 10pm and 8am tenants are supposed to keep it down.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 AM

78 posts, read 225,515 times
Your agreement is a good place to start. However, if it is silent on the subject (no pun intended) you still have rights. You have a right to quiet enjoyment of your property. That is the case whether you own the property or rent it. You are in lawfull possession of your unit and have a right to quiet enjoyment. Violations of such a right, in this situation, is a private nuisance.

You have to try and nail down what unit the music is coming from. That way, you can begin to notify your landlord in writing regarding the nuisance. Maintaining that right is your landlord's responsiblity, especially if you report it. Again, it is always a touchy subject because you do not want to seem as the "problem complaining tenant". Enough documented complaints and the landlord will be forced to deal with the issue directly.

One remedy is to withhold rent until the problem is satisfied. That usually gets a landlord's attention, but I think you do not want to jeopardize your living situation. At this point, just try to figure out what unit is the problem and keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you make your complaints in writing if possible.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavethetable View Post
Your agreement is a good place to start. However, if it is silent on the subject (no pun intended) you still have rights. You have a right to quiet enjoyment of your property. That is the case whether you own the property or rent it. You are in lawfull possession of your unit and have a right to quiet enjoyment. Violations of such a right, in this situation, is a private nuisance.

You have to try and nail down what unit the music is coming from. That way, you can begin to notify your landlord in writing regarding the nuisance. Maintaining that right is your landlord's responsiblity, especially if you report it. Again, it is always a touchy subject because you do not want to seem as the "problem complaining tenant". Enough documented complaints and the landlord will be forced to deal with the issue directly.

One remedy is to withhold rent until the problem is satisfied. That usually gets a landlord's attention, but I think you do not want to jeopardize your living situation. At this point, just try to figure out what unit is the problem and keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you make your complaints in writing if possible.
Never withhold rent under such circumstances. That is "self help" and not legal. Rent can only be withheld by court order and in that case would be deposited into an escrow account until the matter is legally resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting