Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times

Advertisements

I have been in a condo that I rented for a year but it has been 2 months. I have constant repairs and problems that keep happening. I have had a ceiling leak that has been for 2 months and they have come out 3 times to fix it and now again it is happening. The air conditioning had to be fixed and was turned off for 24 hours due to it leaked downstairs into their condo. I live in FL on an upper floor so 24 hours plus with no air was brutal.Then the door and light that was previously fixed broke again and so I am still waiting for it to be fixed. All repairs I have to battle with the realtor as the owner is out of the country to get it done and then still have to wait. I had other things fixed when I moved in like another light,the fridge,one bathroom toilet did not work,etc all which I had to wait a long time for. I am super aggrevated.Is there anything I can do or I just have to accept it and keep calling? I am in a year lease and at this rate since it has 2 months the repairs will still be not done. Any advice is appreciated. These are condos in an expensive area and should no be having this amount of issues on a side note even if they are older. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have been in a condo that I rented for a year but it has been 2 months. I have constant repairs and problems that keep happening. I have had a ceiling leak that has been for 2 months and they have come out 3 times to fix it and now again it is happening. The air conditioning had to be fixed and was turned off for 24 hours due to it leaked downstairs into their condo. I live in FL on an upper floor so 24 hours plus with no air was brutal.Then the door and light that was previously fixed broke again and so I am still waiting for it to be fixed. All repairs I have to battle with the realtor as the owner is out of the country to get it done and then still have to wait. I had other things fixed when I moved in like another light,the fridge,one bathroom toilet did not work,etc all which I had to wait a long time for. I am super aggrevated.Is there anything I can do or I just have to accept it and keep calling? I am in a year lease and at this rate since it has 2 months the repairs will still be not done. Any advice is appreciated. These are condos in an expensive area and should no be having this amount of issues on a side note even if they are older. Thank you
Sounds like there bandaiding the ceiling problem, but it still doesn't sound like a habitability issue, you have two baths, so one toilets in working order.

I would write a letter sent certified mail, listing all the maintenance problems your still encountering. Nothing you've listed warrants
reasons to break a lease, if you were thinking along those lines.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:36 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Make sure y0u send the certified letter listing the problems and the attempts to repair. I agree there is no habitable issues. Just poor maintenance. In the future, send any and all correspondence to the LL or manager by certified mail. Keep all the receipts. That's about all you can do to prevent being charged for poor mainteneance issues when the lease is over.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Thank you for your feedback. Some of the repiars must be done though like the leak cause I can't have mold. I did not know if I could file a complaint somewhere or any other type of motivator for her to get on the ball. Really realtors I would think would want to get referals and how they do when they don't follow up is beyond me. I am not saying this is all but the 2 I have dealt with are such head aches. Thanks again

Old 09-05-2009, 01:31 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I'm afraid to say that the problems are likely to continue... maybe not the same problems... but problems none the less.

Have you thought about moving?

Old 09-05-2009, 02:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Make yourself familiar with the Florida Landlord Tenant laws:

Floridas' Landlord/Tenant Law

The roof leak sounds like a habitability issue to me, it is in violation of the state statutes.

Quote:
THE LANDLORD'S RESPONSIBILITIES

* Florida Statutes, Section 83.51, require a landlord to comply with the local
Property Maintenance Code. This means:

1. The roof must not leak.
2. The walls must be weather-tight, and in good repair.
3. The stairs must be safe for normal use and maintained in good repair.
4. Windows and doors must be basically weather-tight, water-tight, rodent-proof,
and kept in sound working condition. Outside doors have to have proper
locks.
5. Window panes cannot have cracks and holes. Outside windows must have
screens.
6. Inside floors, walls, ceilings must be basically rodent-proof and kept in sound
condition and good repair, and should be safe.
7. The house or apartment must have hot water, which is connected to the
kitchen and bathroom sinks, tub or shower.
8. All houses or apartments must have a flush toilet in good working condition.
9. When cooking and heating equipment are provided by the landlord, they must
be safely installed and in good working order.
10. There must be adequate garbage disposal facilities or garbage storage
containers.
11. Every habitable room must have at least two separate floor or wall electric
outlets and, additionally, every kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and hallway
must have a ceiling or wall-type fixture, or an outlet controlled by a wall
switch near the entrance to the room.
12. All electrical systems must be in good repair and good working order.

Quote:
IF THE LANDLORD DOES NOT COMPLY

* If your landlord has failed to comply with the previous listed code responsibilities,
and has ignored your request to undo their unlawful action, you can contact The
Code Enforcement Branch of city or county in which you reside and
request that they contact your landlord and explain that their action is illegal and
violates your local code.

* If your landlord fails to do what the law or lease requires, you may be able to
withhold the rent. You must give notice of your intention by certified mail at
least seven days before the rent is due to allow time for the landlord to remedy
the problem. If the problem is not corrected within seven days and you withhold
the rent the landlord may take you to court to collect it. You must them pay the
rent into the court registry pending the judges determination of the case.

* Always call the Consumer Affairs Division in your city or county regarding your landlord/tenant rights before withholding rent!!!
Also you are paying rent for facilities that are unusable by you which should entitle you to a refund for part of your rent if you were to press it in court. Learn your rights and do all you can to enforce them.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:37 AM

Thank you I am going to call the realtor on Tues and explain how on acceptable I find this and I am going to find out how to file a complaint. Maybe that will get her to do something.The leak and the door not closing properly seems like violations on that list. She has tried to take advantage from the get go and I have been very patient and accomidating making myself available for all the work people etc. I am young female and I feel sometimes I get treated differently. I am only in my 3rd month out of a year. Also on a side note I have been asking her to take the lock box off because I feel uncomfortable with it on. It makes the home look not lived in and also one day I felt like someone had been here when I was gone. I did not say anything but there was a door shut that I never close. Anyhow she still has not done it. There trying to sell this place but no one ever comes to look she said as they are so overpriced but I still want to be home if they do so there is no need for a lock box in my eyes. Am I being unreasonable as this was not stated in my lease or even verbally? If someone wanted to see it I am nice and would try to be accomidating. Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:25 PM

I need some advice on this again. They came back out for the 4th time for the leak. They said it was fixed again and again it is leaking. The other lesser things that I still need fixed have not even been touched after many attempts to contact. The realtor that I have to go through just never follows up. I asked the roof people about mold and they said no but it is still a concern to me. I already have health issues and don't need more. Is there another type of person who checks for that or is it the roofer? Anyhow I am sick of all these constant problems and either not getting fixed or if they do it takes forever. I am going to call the realtor again and tell her I want out of my lease with 30 days notice or in the mean time I am going to see legally if I am able to get out of it and then in the mean time I want to put my rent money in a special account. Does this sound ok or can anyone give me feedback? Thank you

Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I need some advice on this again. They came back out for the 4th time for the leak. They said it was fixed again and again it is leaking. The other lesser things that I still need fixed have not even been touched after many attempts to contact. The realtor that I have to go through just never follows up. I asked the roof people about mold and they said no but it is still a concern to me. I already have health issues and don't need more. Is there another type of person who checks for that or is it the roofer? Anyhow I am sick of all these constant problems and either not getting fixed or if they do it takes forever. I am going to call the realtor again and tell her I want out of my lease with 30 days notice or in the mean time I am going to see legally if I am able to get out of it and then in the mean time I want to put my rent money in a special account. Does this sound ok or can anyone give me feedback? Thank you
I would look into terminating your lease and moving. The landlord is obviously not interested in making the residence habitable.

Someone posted Florida statutes stating the roof must not leak. I found the same thing on the first link I found when I googled "Tenant Rights, Florida." The link also states that you may be able to terminate the lease on this basis. (Look under "Rent Withholding From Landlord.")

Florida's Landlord/Tenant Rights

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I cannot stand to see landlords abuse tenants. I hope you stick it to him/her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting