Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times

Advertisements

For those singles/couples who are 55+ in age, are the 55+ Communities a better place to live?

In regular apartment complexes there are kids (babies to teens), dogs, cats, loud Harley-Davidson's, early-morning (7AM) landscape maintenance crews working, no (or only a couple) Complex "get-togethers" and a lot of people who live in these "regular apartments" just seem to be very unfriendly. Some are not unfriendly at all, but for the most part, people who live in apartments are unfriendly!

When living in a 55+ Community, there are no yelling-screaming kids! These complexes pretty much demand quietness for their tenants! And, these complexes have Recreational Activities/Partys for the people who live in them! These complexes are NOT Nursing Homes, but are places for ACTIVE 55+ people to live in and enjoy activities with neighbors, but don't have to put up with all the noise that can come with many regular apartment complexes!

By the way, wife and I are 60-61 years old and live in a fairly quiet part of a nice complex. Harley riders do live here and we DO hear them.....at times too much! We also hear cars going BOOM, BOOM, BOOM with music! But, because a lot of the tenants here are quite younger than we are, we have absolutely NOTHING in common with them.......and it is somewhat VERY unfriendly! Two other complexes we lived in was the same way......unfriendly!!

Your thoughts.........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times
Well, the complex I live in now has gone to the dogs...In the year I have been here (we're on year 2 of our lease) we've had to move to a new apartment thanks to a druggy living above us.

Now yes, there is a lot of family noise but we have a child and I like seeing kids around.

As for the harleys and crap cars revving up, yes, that is incredibly annoying. We have several people I'd put on the 'white trash pile' (not because they are bikers or have loud cars) because of their lack of regard for neighbors.

In a complex you get a certain 'lower element' of people (in addition to nice peope). If you are home a lot, like I am, LoveBoating, it is going to bother you more. This summer our complex became some half way house to everyone off the streets! There was a population explosion of people using the pool constantly (many who did not live here!). It became very frustrating to listen to screaming and shouting till 10 pm every night.

I would love to come and go every day and not hear "Butchy" revving up his smelly sports car or having wild parties at 2 am, not listen to jabbering from kids mom let's out at 9 am on a Sunday but no, living in a Plus 55 place (I'm too young anyhow) would not be for me.

What I would like is my own house!!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
You may want to read this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...mmunities.html

Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
Know what you mean (in red below)! This last summer, a family would take over the pool area for a birthday party or whatever and we couldn't even use the pool! But, how does management keep outsiders from using the pool??? In a complex in we lived in in North Carolina, the Manager told me that he had to "scoot" some kids out of the pool area that didn't even live in the complex, but were at our pool b/c their complex pool was closed. A lot of apt. complex pool areas don't have a key or card access gate to them......you just push the gate open and go in!
We use to own a house and had problems there as well......next door neighbors dogs barking in the middle of the night, same dogs digging out from their back yard and running all over the neighborhood, neighbors (each side of us) bought Harley's and cranked them up early on Saturday AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Well, the complex I live in now has gone to the dogs...In the year I have been here (we're on year 2 of our lease) we've had to move to a new apartment thanks to a druggy living above us.

Now yes, there is a lot of family noise but we have a child and I like seeing kids around.

As for the harleys and crap cars revving up, yes, that is incredibly annoying. We have several people I'd put on the 'white trash pile' (not because they are bikers or have loud cars) because of their lack of regard for neighbors.
In a complex you get a certain 'lower element' of people (in addition to nice peope). If you are home a lot, like I am, LoveBoating, it is going to bother you more. This summer our complex became some half way house to everyone off the streets! There was a population explosion of people using the pool constantly (many who did not live here!). It became very frustrating to listen to screaming and shouting till 10 pm every night.

I would love to come and go every day and not hear "Butchy" revving up his smelly sports car or having wild parties at 2 am, not listen to jabbering from kids mom let's out at 9 am on a Sunday but no, living in a Plus 55 place (I'm too young anyhow) would not be for me.

What I would like is my own house!!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,263,873 times
I didn't think I'd like it but I do. Just bought a mobile in an over 55 place in Fla for winters. It reminds me of going to a high school reunion, all people your own age who have lived all over and done a bunch of interesting things. Fun meeting everyone. Most everyone seems to be in their 60's.

I like having my own individual place. Not much into apts unless it's necessary to be on the beach. We're close enough that we can keep an eye on each other and run back and forth but not as isolated as if you're living in a house I've found. We do still have the occasional Harley, didn't you know the over 55 group is the largest growing segment? And I'm not giving up my sportscar.

Here's a laugh. We recently got a complaint at our regular home where we're surrounded by lots of families with screaming little kids that our outside music (XM Elvis and Classical) which we listen to while in the hottub was too loud. Had to adjust our spa time from the late evening to when they're at work.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,686,508 times
Our society has become a "me first" and ********* society. You see it in all kinds of rental properties. Many of people with the "I can do whatever I want" attitude are beginning to retire and now we see it in the various retirement communities. I live in one of those now and I am looking forward to getting out. It seems that every other senior is taking in their middle-aged children and they bring the noise, the loud motorcycles and boom cars at all hours. People no longer have respect for their neighbors. Did I mention cliques? Wow, the "in-crowd" is composed of masses of all those neighbors who peaked out of their curtains and then phoned all their gossipy friends. I have termed this 55+ "the chicken coup" because that is what it sounds like, a bunch of noisy clucking chickens bitching about who's pecking where and what. As for being friendly, if you are not willing to join "the chicken coup club" then you might as well be on the moon.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:27 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,446 times
When I moved to FL and was looking I saw a lot of these rentals. It peaked my interest cause they were more affordable. I am young though but hate noise and don't understand people and how they don't respect others. I wish I could buy a home cause right now I do live in a complex that is older though not 55 and over but my neighbors are loud and they are over 55. I thought I read somewhere that some over 55 they can have a certain % that are not so one may want to check that out if an issue. I do know most it is true the owner must be 55 at least but one could have a significant other that is young.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:02 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times
Lots of these communites are overrun by "visting grandchildren" who do not seem to ever go home becuase granny is the daycare provider while mom (who lives in a different community) is at work.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
Is a 55+ community better to live in?
I really wonder sometimes about it. I have photographed some very special looking places down south for the City Data community. I think they look charming. I think they are for people who really want to be with only others their age.
I'm one of those though that loves, loves, my kids and grandkids around. They make me happy.......
When we go to the Aquarium ouselves.......hummm........we look around, we enjoy it. But, when we have the little fellows with us....its fantastic. Just watching them explore, watching their eyes get wide. It is a warming feeling I won't give up. We took a group of kids to Dolly's Dixie Stampede.
Now,I thought.....this might be uninteresting to them. These children did not take their eyes off of the show, except to figure out how to eat with their bare hands, as the Dixie show requires. LOL
I like the kids to come and visit as they please......running into the ocean with us in tow.
Our clubhouse in the winter is really all adults at the shows and dinners......But, its an all age place and kids are welcome. Seeing them ride by( in the golf cart) with their parents on the way for some fun at the shore is calming to me.
When the teens came in next door we smiled and waved........I'd like to know more about them.....
I've always liked the teen years. The show promise to the World, and have some great expectations. I've watched many reach those grand goals.
I'm sure many will head to the 55+ and like that it is a world for their age group.......
I just personally could never keep my family away, that rule in itself would make me cringe.
Some say their day and time with kids is over.........I say " mine will never be over until I am
six feet under" I can't imagine life without them near by......ever.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,417,590 times
Good points, Summering, gotta agree w/ you that looking at things thru the eyes of grandchildren is wonderful, they tend to get mesmerized and it's just awesome seeing their reaction, I think I'll borrow a couple of yours <VBG>. Thx for the reminder ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting