Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:09 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Your best bet right now would be to try and pay him to move. It will probably be cheaper than what you'll end up dealing with having an illegal apt.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:12 PM

24 posts, read 64,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Why didn't you investigate this guy before you rented to him?
Thanks for reply. As I am in this country only last 2 years, (I am a South Asian) I did not think people are this much difficult to handle. They came as husband and wife of their late 40s, and earning more than 60K, showed all the salary particulars. They both are working; wife is working more than 10 years in a company and husband is working more than 8 years in the same company. As we are couples of late 20s, we believed them and didn't inquire much. This is our first ever house; spend all our savings till now to down payment, we thought that we can get a small amount to support our mortgage. Now I cannot believe any one except my wife

Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Your best bet right now would be to try and pay him to move. It will probably be cheaper than what you'll end up dealing with having an illegal apt.
How many months rent I can negotiate? Any idea? But if he is agreed that he will move within one month and later if he is telling that "I will not go; do whatever you want", then it will take more time for me.
Please any idea?

One important thing is when I talk to him he always dominates me and talking in big voice; rude manner, Actually I feel inferior to him while talking.

Now I regret my parents taught me to behave very calm and cool...Now I cannot manage him..

Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 PM

278 posts, read 1,519,594 times
If it disturbs you to deal with him maybe a lawyer can handle him. You can have a lawyer talk to him and sign an agreement as to the move out date. He would collect the money from the lawyer once he leaves the keys. I don't know how much you would offer a tenant like this. Maybe someone on the forum has done this sort of thing before.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 PM

If some one offered any amount for a tenant to move out pl let me know. I need the procedure too.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 843 times
Advice PLEASE
I live in an illegal basement apartment with no lease. Several times the city came to inspect the house and I never let them in. There is another tenant living on the 2nd floor who has been making my life a living hell starting from putting garbage in my mailbox and front door to writing on my steps. She used knife to force my door open. The landlord has been notified on several occasions, he has not done anything. He has been making me pay utilities 60-90/month for over 2 yrs. I only get heat when the people from the 1st apartment are home. My landlorD only comes to collect money that's all. He does not respond to any calls b/c he does not want to be bothered with the whole drama with the other tenant who has been making my life miserable. the week before the 1st of this month, I called him more than 10 times to tell him that I will not pay anymore until I find a place to stay due to all the drama in the house. He never answeredso I left a message. He did not even bother to call back so he did not come to collect more money either this month. Some Homeowners make it seem like their tenants are taking advantage of them but they dont tell how negligent and passsive they can be sometimes. I have a door that looks like someone used a knife to open it for months now, nothing has been done. I found a place already but I feel like staying in the house or take him to court for treating me like that, for every penny that I wasted, for showing no interest in protecting me in the house.
People have adviced me to call the city and let them inspect the basement so that he can be fined. Don't get me wrong, I dont want to live off a hard working person. I already find a place but I really feel like leaving some of my stuff in the house so that he can pay for being so negligent and careless. People have adviced me to stay until he can evict me which will be really hard for him to do. Give me some advice please. I definitly want to take him to court so that he can pay for making me pay utilities for 2 yrs in an illegal basemnt apartment , for being negligent and careless. Open to Advice!!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 AM

49 posts, read 107,632 times
Couldn't he get the area condemned for not being alegal apartment if it is not up to code??

Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliette24 View Post
Advice PLEASE
I live in an illegal basement apartment with no lease. Several times the city came to inspect the house and I never let them in. There is another tenant living on the 2nd floor who has been making my life a living hell starting from putting garbage in my mailbox and front door to writing on my steps. She used knife to force my door open. The landlord has been notified on several occasions, he has not done anything. He has been making me pay utilities 60-90/month for over 2 yrs. I only get heat when the people from the 1st apartment are home. My landlorD only comes to collect money that's all. He does not respond to any calls b/c he does not want to be bothered with the whole drama with the other tenant who has been making my life miserable. the week before the 1st of this month, I called him more than 10 times to tell him that I will not pay anymore until I find a place to stay due to all the drama in the house. He never answeredso I left a message. He did not even bother to call back so he did not come to collect more money either this month. Some Homeowners make it seem like their tenants are taking advantage of them but they dont tell how negligent and passsive they can be sometimes. I have a door that looks like someone used a knife to open it for months now, nothing has been done. I found a place already but I feel like staying in the house or take him to court for treating me like that, for every penny that I wasted, for showing no interest in protecting me in the house.
People have adviced me to call the city and let them inspect the basement so that he can be fined. Don't get me wrong, I dont want to live off a hard working person. I already find a place but I really feel like leaving some of my stuff in the house so that he can pay for being so negligent and careless. People have adviced me to stay until he can evict me which will be really hard for him to do. Give me some advice please. I definitly want to take him to court so that he can pay for making me pay utilities for 2 yrs in an illegal basemnt apartment , for being negligent and careless. Open to Advice!!
I would just move. It's not worth the headache, plus you'll have eviction on your record. Unless you are worried him wrongfully witholding your deposit I would just leave. If you are worried about it I would report it, as I think the landlord won't be able to keep your deposit if it is illegal.
Though since he obviously isn't following the rules and providing unsafe/dangerous living conditions, I would report the apartment if you already have your security deposit.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 AM

278 posts, read 1,519,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliette24 View Post
Advice PLEASE
It sounds as if the tenant is your problem. Why after 2 years of occupying an illegal apartment do want to sue the landlord?

Do you really want to stay there and live for free? Causing frustration for yourself, the landlord and continued harrassment from the tenant?

If you ask me your looking for trouble. If you have a place then move. If the landlord does not return your deposit, then take him/her to court. Also, feel free to report it to the city. However, you already have them at your door. Why didn't you open it? Sorry but it sounds fishy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting