Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 PM

703 posts, read 2,934,789 times

Advertisements

Basically, the title said it all. This is for a professionally managed apartment community in Montgomery County, Maryland. The lease ended on 7/28/09 at 12am and I had a walk-through with them on 7/21/09 and paperwork was filled out as 'no charges', everything's fine. Gave them my forwarding address that day as well. Question is, how do I proceed and/or what should I do next? It's now beyond the legally stated 45 days for the return of deposit. Are they also now required to return 3X the security deposit for violating the law and/or breaching the terms of the previous lease.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

By the way, we were model tenants. Never filed any complaints or had any filed against us. Always paid rent about 5-10 days PRIOR to the end of the month. Gave notice to vacate well before the 60 days required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,427,107 times
Send a certified Demand Letter... probably have to do that anyway prior to filing in Small Claims Court...

Short and to the point... keep it neutral... who knows, maybe it got lost or overlooked... well it could happen

Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,660,331 times
physcofan,
Most of these so call professional rental management and LL's seem to have a memory of convenience. They never forget what day your rent is due on but then cannot seem to remember where they put your security deposit. Their favorite excuse "it must be lost in the mail or I just mailed it." Regardless of the excuse it is a pathetic effort to kept you SS. As Ultrarunner said, send a certified letter requesting your security deposit with a your current return address and phone number. Be firm but non threatening as anything you write or say can be used in court.
If they fail to pay file a complaint in SCC. Don't forget to also file a complaint with the BBB.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting