Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 10:33 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,345,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ196 View Post
With high demand and covid some are doing that now.

If so many apps and wasting time on those that dont qualify.

Like easy to ad on zillow get 100 request but only 5 qualify

Yes hard since have to consider scams.

I've been doing this even before covid. Not only getting many that don't qualify. Many of these "potential" tenants are scammers as well. You have a problem with requirements, move to the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 01:41 PM

661 posts, read 879,987 times
They always ask for your Driver's License and they even take a copy, before showing, just to prevent any crime.
In case she never comes back to her office, because you kidnapped her, or something...
In regards to your Social Security card or filling an Application, sounds fishy to me.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:23 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,138,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
They always ask for your Driver's License and they even take a copy, before showing, just to prevent any crime.
In case she never comes back to her office, because you kidnapped her, or something...
In regards to your Social Security card or filling an Application, sounds fishy to me.
Why is that "fishy?" Why would a LL/property manager want to waste their time showing a place to someone who isn't even qualified for it? Rentals don't usually need "open houses."

Old 10-29-2021, 03:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Why is that "fishy?" Why would a LL/property manager want to waste their time showing a place to someone who isn't even qualified for it? Rentals don't usually need "open houses."
There in lays the problem. The property is a negotiating asset. One where each entity is given an opportunity to invest THEIR time. Renting is a two way street.
I cannot in good faith have my financials dug into and kept on file by a entity that I MAY not even wish to sign on the dotted line.
When I go to test drive a car , I don't pay ahead of time . It's not the salesman's business when I walk thru that door . It's his business WHEN the sales agreement is read, agreed to and financing or full payment is garnered.

The property managers duty is to list it, show it , regard the state rules on tenants rights. And landlord duties.

I'm currently coming upon more LLC property managers requiring Pre screening before showing. All non refundable. I may see close to 8 or 9 properties before I even get to the contract table. So dishing out 300$ for them to pocket . Yes that is a deficit from the get go to the potential lessee . I'm all about transparent transactions . I'm not about losing my hard earned money for a money grab Manuever. The Landlord is in business . The showing is an opportunity to showcase and to vett in person. It's preposterous to not show it first. Put the horse before the cart.

Old 10-30-2021, 05:30 PM

2,649 posts, read 1,177,499 times
Well I have been on both sides and I can tell you no matter how much times have changed do NOT give any LL any private information until you know you want the apartment.

You do have to show ID because if she/he is alone with you in the apartment for their safety they will want to be sure who you are in case you try to kill them. I took far to many chances with that myself until I I found myself alone with a nut ball who, long story short, ran out as soon as he heard the people come in from downstairs.

After I went to Realtors for renting. Safety and privacy go both ways.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:39 AM

9,861 posts, read 4,634,723 times
I think a lot of businesses want to fitler out the non serious customer anyway they can ethical or not. One of the first tenants-pun intended of most kind of sales is be prepared for rejection/no. They could be trying to coerce or incentivize you signing by getting you one step closer ahead of time by providing ss but they shouldn't run without your permission.

It's onething to do a quick google search but another to do a paid deep dive into backgound.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:49 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Many landlords are now doing a pre-qualification before showing. It doesn't usually involve identifying information, but they will ask income, employment, criminal record, maybe birth date and some other rather personal questions. Be aware that they intend to look you up on the internet before you get to view the unit and they are going to try to sort you out from others with the same name.

After you view it is time for the application fee and identifying information.

All I can say to the OP is that if you feel the questions are too invasive, move on and apply elsewhere. Rentals are tight, but even so, that is not going to be the only rental available in your market.

(Also be prepared to prove that you paid rent the past 12-18 months and know you will have to provide a government issued photo ID))

Old 10-31-2021, 01:13 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,521,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc3020 View Post
This is used to screen applicants but the landlord should be careful as it can also be in violation of the fair housing act federal and or local
Housing laws. Asking for an application to screen application prior to showings can be used to discriminate against groups of people. The only thing a landlord can legally ask you for prior to a showing is an ID
There is no info on a credit bureau that could be used to screen out an applicant in a way that violates Fair Housing laws.
It would be easier to violate laws with a drivers lic if they want to look at race.

OP. Get copies of your 3 credit bureaus and scratch off all but last 4 of social sec #.
Have a pay check stub showing YTD and make sure whole SSAN isn't on it. Fill out app without SSAN.
Offer that to see house.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:34 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,138,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
There in lays the problem. The property is a negotiating asset. One where each entity is given an opportunity to invest THEIR time. Renting is a two way street.
I cannot in good faith have my financials dug into and kept on file by a entity that I MAY not even wish to sign on the dotted line.
When I go to test drive a car , I don't pay ahead of time . It's not the salesman's business when I walk thru that door . It's his business WHEN the sales agreement is read, agreed to and financing or full payment is garnered.

The property managers duty is to list it, show it , regard the state rules on tenants rights. And landlord duties.

I'm currently coming upon more LLC property managers requiring Pre screening before showing. All non refundable. I may see close to 8 or 9 properties before I even get to the contract table. So dishing out 300$ for them to pocket . Yes that is a deficit from the get go to the potential lessee . I'm all about transparent transactions . I'm not about losing my hard earned money for a money grab Manuever. The Landlord is in business . The showing is an opportunity to showcase and to vett in person. It's preposterous to not show it first. Put the horse before the cart.
Sorry. A property manager has no real "duty" to any prospective tenant. At that point they only have a duty to the property owner: to get a qualified tenant in at the owner's requested rent without violating any federal/state/local laws. They do not, however, have any "duty" to show any prospective tenant a unit just because said tenant wants to see it.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:18 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
If you were searching for a rental and stopped at several where they all checked your credit, isn't that going to negatively affect your credit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting