Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,602 times

Advertisements

Hello all need some advice. Ive been living in a private house for the past four years now. I just found out the owner is going to sell the house.so we decided to move. not only is the apartment empty downstairs but my apartment is horrible. i moved in on (ill take care of everything.) but nothing was done.roaches everywere,bad electric parts of celling falling down.dirty.we just stoped paying rent last month and told the landloard we are saving the money to move out by january. we asked them if they need to show my apartment to call us and make an appointment. show it when were home.no she tells the agent to try to get in if there not home anyway. came right out of the agents mouth. do i have any rights or what
thanks joey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth33 View Post
Hello all need some advice. Ive been living in a private house for the past four years now. I just found out the owner is going to sell the house.so we decided to move. not only is the apartment empty downstairs but my apartment is horrible. i moved in on (ill take care of everything.) but nothing was done.roaches everywere,bad electric parts of celling falling down.dirty.we just stoped paying rent last month and told the landloard we are saving the money to move out by january. we asked them if they need to show my apartment to call us and make an appointment. show it when were home.no she tells the agent to try to get in if there not home anyway. came right out of the agents mouth. do i have any rights or what
thanks joey
I am sorry that it sounds like you are in a crummy situation. I own a house in Minnesota that we have a tenant in and are currently selling. I know we can show the house anytime we want to prospective buyers and we try to get a hold of the tenant but if we are unable to then the realtor just goes in and shows the house.
If you think you are being treated unfair/unjust then contact a attorney and ask them if your landlord has violated any of your rights. That answer would be much more reliable than one you may get from someone on here "playing attorney". Good luck.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
You're not being very smart in withholding rent and that can come around and bite you quite nastily. If you've been living in what sounds like squalor for four years and have only now decided to move because the landlord is selling the house, no judge is going to rule in your favor if your LL decides to take you to court.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:35 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You're not being very smart in withholding rent and that can come around and bite you quite nastily. If you've been living in what sounds like squalor for four years and have only now decided to move because the landlord is selling the house, no judge is going to rule in your favor if your LL decides to take you to court.
The post says they lived in the house for 4 years and moved to an apt. Its the apt that is the mess.

They moved into an apt on the word of the landlord that they would fix it up and never has so thats when they started to withhold the rent

Old 10-10-2009, 07:38 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Make sure you have pictures of the apt. Just to be safe if it is really as bad as you say it is the landlord is NOT going to want to take you to court and allow a judge to see terrible living conditions.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:02 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
If your landlord was smart he would start the eviction and good luck finding a nice place because you just got evicted from your last place.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,602 times
first of all i didnt get evicted. i decided to leave do to the fack of the landloard selling the house and and not caring on how she does it. not giving a s.... about the family that lives there. violating my civil rights...NOW come ON

Old 10-10-2009, 08:47 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
your quote "we just stoped paying rent last month and told the landloard we are saving the money to move out by january"

You should get evicted no pay no stay just because your landlord is a deadbeat does not give you the right to not pay rent

first of all i didnt get evicted. never said you did I said you shouldget evicted

Last edited by tworent; 10-10-2009 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The post says they lived in the house for 4 years and moved to an apt. Its the apt that is the mess.

They moved into an apt on the word of the landlord that they would fix it up and never has so thats when they started to withhold the rent
No, the OP didn't say that. Maybe you know them and thus have info which forum readers aren't privy to?

Ive been living in a private house for the past four years now. I just found out the owner is going to sell the house.so we decided to move. not only is the apartment empty downstairs but my apartment is horrible. i moved in on (ill take care of everything.) but nothing was done.roaches everywere,bad electric parts of celling falling down.dirty.we just stoped paying rent last month and told the landloard we are saving the money to move out by january.

That seems quite simple and I'm not sure what you're debating.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth33 View Post
first of all i didnt get evicted. i decided to leave do to the fack of the landloard selling the house and and not caring on how she does it. not giving a s.... about the family that lives there. violating my civil rights...NOW come ON
Nothing to do with civil rights. That is so lame. Bring that up in court and the judge will have no problem setting you straight.

As so many disgruntled tenants do, you seem to believe that LLs are by nature some sort of philanthropic entities who arbitrarily decide to rent out their hard-earned properties to simply gouge their tenants. Your LL is trying to pay bills and if you don't pay he's messed up.

Good luck in the future. I hope that, some day, you'll have some sort of an epiphany and learn something.

In the meantime, how about schooling? Are you working, did you graduate from HS, GED, any college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting