Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times

Advertisements

I will definitely give an update - keep your fingers crossed it will work out for me/her, I think if I drive by there tonight and there's nothing in the mailbox my head will explode...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
I will definitely give an update - keep your fingers crossed it will work out for me/her, I think if I drive by there tonight and there's nothing in the mailbox my head will explode...
No, you must program yourself for the worst case scenario in that there will be nothing there.

People whose heads explode leave SUCH a mess for everyone else to clean up and the sound is so bad that it gets neighborhood dogs howling in unison, cats running scared, fish leaping out of their aquariums and flopping all over the place and emergency personnel calling in the "Fringe" experts to determine if the explosion is just one of those things or something more sinister. Cheers!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Gee thaaannkkks.... That reminds me of a certain Dave Chappelle skit I love...I won't post it here but if you want the link, pm me .

Old 10-15-2009, 06:01 AM

Any update?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 AM

Well, I went by there and lo and behold!...it was in the mailbox. As I started to drive away I was scrutinizing the lease to make sure he signed where needed and then looked at the check to make sure he had made it out with the correct spelling, etc...when I saw that he hadn't signed the check. So I turned around and rang the doorbell and was polite and held it up saying "where soooo close!" and he said "Oh, I didn't sign the check? I'm such an idiot!" and we all know I wanted to say..."of course you are!" but I didn't.

So I'm going to email the landlord a copy of everything and stick it in the mail to her post office box and go deposit the check for her (and hope it doesn't bounce) and hope I can put this mess behind me.

Thanks for you virtual moral support along the way!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 AM

Very good news! Now be SURE to immediately get a lease release from the LL, and preferably before she deposits that cheque. Even via email - send her a quick one telling her you've sent the cheque and the signed lease to her so would like her assurance that everything is OK. Better to err on the side of caution. Glad to hear that it worked out and that your head didn't explode.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:31 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
Not sure what the law is in NC, but in VA you don't have to go through the eviction process if the occupant has been in the residence less than 30 days. After that, with or without a lease, you have to go through the eviction process. You may want to check with the clerk of the court for your county, a real estate attorney, or a reputable property managment company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
We're in NC. If someone moves in (and a landlord hasn't gotten any money for the month/deposit, or a signed lease - she was willing to work with the guy and do it a day or so after he moved in) but he now has been there for two weeks and hasn't signed the lease or given rent for the month of October (he claims due to emergency child support hearing after he moved in, that he could no longer afford the monthly rent but now claims since landlord came down on the rent by $100 that he can afford it) but still has not given her a signed lease or money - can he be immediately kicked out or does this a-hole actually have rights? (Note - I'm not the landlord).

Thanks for any insight to this situation.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
Not sure what the law is in NC, but in VA you don't have to go through the eviction process if the occupant has been in the residence less than 30 days. After that, with or without a lease, you have to go through the eviction process. You may want to check with the clerk of the court for your county, a real estate attorney, or a reputable property managment company.
Seems as though the OP has remedied the situation at least for now. Did you read the whole thread? Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting