Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 PM

29 posts, read 84,034 times

Advertisements

Hi,

New landlord planning to lease his home in Charlotte, NC. Your help, advice is highly appreciated.

1. Have you used Tenant screening services before? If so, which one do you recommend? Pls help.

2. Is there a place where I can download the standard blank lease template/form to enter into a lease agreement?

3. What is the normal rent/income ratio of tenant do you recommend is reasonable?

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
join your local Real Estate Club

Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I'm not sure if i can mention the name because it could be advertisement, but I'm not at all linked to this website..but use it when I need it...I will PM you

Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 PM

278 posts, read 467,519 times
You should definitely check credit... it is easier to use a service because of the legal and security issues. Here is one. You need signed permission from the applicant to check credit and criminal backgrounds, and I believe they take care of that for you.

Depending on the property, monthly income should ideally be three or four times the rental amount. If you have a comparable rental history, you can see how responsible they are at paying a certain amount.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:49 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniustud View Post
Hi,

New landlord planning to lease his home in Charlotte, NC. Your help, advice is highly appreciated.

1. Have you used Tenant screening services before? If so, which one do you recommend? Pls help.

2. Is there a place where I can download the standard blank lease template/form to enter into a lease agreement?

3. What is the normal rent/income ratio of tenant do you recommend is reasonable?

Thanks in advance,
Definitely background check! You can go online to pipl.com and put in your prospective tenants name, this will give you a wealth of information to use to do property searches, online court records searches & criminal searches without a cost!

google standard leases online, make sure you put in a no sublet clause as well as pet rules if applicable.

a safe bet on rent/income is one week of pay equal to rent.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniustud View Post
Hi,

Thanks in advance,
google the prospective tenants name--face book comments and observations on my next door neighbor has me looking for another place!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Whatever you decide, do choose a company that can run a credit check, verify income (ask for paystubs) and check past rental references. Personal references are worthless; don't waste time on them. 2.5 or 3 times the rent in income is standard here.

As far as your lease goes, you need to know what is legal in your state before you download some generic template from who-knows-where.com !!

Consider a property management company especially if you do not live near the rental.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,398 times
I agree choose a company that can provide you with a credit report. My previous note was deleted for a screen name violation, so I am not sure what I need to do to share my thoughts. Ask good questions to who ever runs your background checks as to the validity of the data you are receiving (other than credit).

Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
The OP was 6-7 months old I hope he still does not need a lease

Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Oh my - an infant - and here I thought we only had to worry about those 13 and up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting