Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Have noticed, while wife/I have been walking around the apt. complex we live in, that there are quite a number of residents that have all of the shades/curtains in their apartment closed. Now, to me (IMO) that is like living in a jail! Every morning, after we get up, I always open the shades/curtains in our living room and dining area. When we leave, we shut all of them, but when at home, we do like some sunshine in our apartment. While owning a house, I noticed that there many more people who had their shades/curtains opened. We don't go around intentionally looking for open shades/curtains to see what people are up to, but have "noticed" this.
So...........do you open any of your shades/curtains or keep them closed all the time?
Closed when I'm gone. Either when I'm there, depending on mood and which side of the house it's on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 02:30 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
I always keep mine open during the day and I close them at night. I wonder if it's a regional thing or even a generation thing. My aunt (who is in her 80's) has a really cute little cottage in the Avondale area of Jacksonville, Florida. This is a historic district, and the area has lots of mature shade trees, as well as palm and citrus trees, and beautiful flowering plants. Her view from any room in the house is absolutely gorgeous, and her house has lots of windows, and has a sunroom or Florida room on the side with 3 walls of huge windows.

ALL of the windows in her home are covered floor to ceiling with heavy drapes over sheers. Not a speck of daylight is allowed in the house.

She complains all winter that she is cold, yet she won't even consider opening the drapes to let the sunshine in and warm things up.

(She also has the gorgeous wood floors in the house as well as the stone tile in the sunroom covered with wall-to-wall carpeting).

Old 10-26-2009, 02:31 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Have noticed, while wife/I have been walking around the apt. complex we live in, that there are quite a number of residents that have all of the shades/curtains in their apartment closed. Now, to me (IMO) that is like living in a jail! Every morning, after we get up, I always open the shades/curtains in our living room and dining area. When we leave, we shut all of them, but when at home, we do like some sunshine in our apartment. While owning a house, I noticed that there many more people who had their shades/curtains opened. We don't go around intentionally looking for open shades/curtains to see what people are up to, but have "noticed" this.
So...........do you open any of your shades/curtains or keep them closed all the time?
I've lived in an apartment for along time. My apartment faces out towards
a beautiful wooded area. During the day I keep them open, its too pretty
to not let the sun shine in, plus I have a nice balcony. On the side there is
a parking lot, and trash dumpster. One evening I was taking the trash out,
saw a man sitting in his van, didn't think to much of it at the time, but then,
noticed him there a couple times after, always at nite. I was very bold to do this,
but approached the van one nite with my flashlite. He left and never saw him again.
He more than likely was a peeping tom. Another incident oh I'd say within the last month,
it was dusk, not dark yet, still had my drapery open. I was sitting near the balcony on
my computer, the corner of my eye caught a face, now I'm on the second floor.
I imagine another peeping tom. I just said "Hello". By the time I got up out of my chair
he was gone. This doesn't explain why ppl keep there drapes closed during the day,
but when I go out, even daytime, I close the drapes.

Last edited by virgode; 10-26-2009 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
I keep the blinds closed, but light still manages to get in during the day--so I sleep in my closet. I can't sleep unless I'm in darkness.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I keep the blinds closed, but light still manages to get in during the day--so I sleep in my closet. I can't sleep unless I'm in darkness.
You sleep in a closet? ROFL! Thought of sleeping with your eyes closed or wearing a sleep mask, putting up heavy drapes?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM

Why bother? The closet's dark, and I don't need a mattress.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:43 PM

Keeping the light out also helps to keep the heat out.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Light blocking drapes work well, can buy them in may stores,
especially good if you work odd hours and get the east morning sun.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 AM

They really don't like us to put any holes in the wall. No hanging pictures, drapes, etc.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:14 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
I leave the house before dawn and get back after dark - whats the point in raising the shades? We never open the bedroom shades because we are hardly ever in the bedroom during daylight hours. The rest of the house, it depends on the time of year and privacy of the window. But considering from now until April, both my husband and I will be out of the house for most of the daylight hours during the week - whats the point in spending time dealing with the shades? The sliding glass door is the only one we both adjusting on the weekend, for light purposes. Our living room shades are top down/bottom up, and we tend to leave them half down from the top day/year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting