Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,646,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y and R View Post
We won't be able to sell our house as fast as we would like in our next move and I have a service dog. How do I handle this while looking for a home when all I am finding is no pets? I know by law I cannot be refused that she is not a pet but how do I broach the subject with each house I enquire about? I am not looking forward to this and this is why I have owned each home as each relocation as come along. I hate this economy.
Is it truly a service dog, with actual valid certificates stating such, or is it a "therapy" dog?

There's a difference.

*edit: Never mind, I needed to read further in the thread. Ignore me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times
Quote:
We won't be able to sell our house as fast as we would like in our next move and I have a service dog. How do I handle this while looking for a home when all I am finding is no pets? I know by law I cannot be refused that she is not a pet but how do I broach the subject with each house I enquire about? I am not looking forward to this and this is why I have owned each home as each relocation as come along. I hate this economy.
Be up front. Let the perspective landlord know you have a service animal.

The landlord does have the right to request proof from your health care provider of the need of the animal. The landlord CANNOT however require disclosure of what your disability is.

The landlord CANNOT charge a "pet deposit" nor additional "security" deposit for the animal - it is not a "pet". The landlord can require agreement by you that you will repair any damages done (if any) by the animal at the time you vacate.

Good luck.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:44 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,440,167 times
Quote:
A dog with the right temperment and drive can easily be taught to alert you. I was out one day and felt fine and next thing I knew I was disorinted and passing out I was on proper meds and diet everything I was supossed to do and I had wandered off into the crowd in a seperate part of the home show thatn my husband. Thankfully my eldest was with me and was able to take care of me and got me juice and boosted back up. I work from home and a great fear of my husband has always been what happens if the above happened with no one here but me.

A diabetes dog can alert you and keep you down so you dont get dizzy and crack your head falling. They can alert you to med times so never will you miss a check or med. They can bring you glucose when you are unable to get to it. They can tell you when sugar is too high. They can dial 911 for you when you have slipped beyond dangerously and are unresponsive. They are a recognised service dog under all federal protection.
These animals are amazing, I learned something new. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 532 times
im trying to rent an apartment... and most say no pets i am finding i am being denied for dumb reasons or even saying there is so many people ahead of you, but they show me the house and when i put i have a service dog i always get some reason... if i say nothing im sure i would get the house.. and i think i now should say nothing so i can move. also do i have to tell them i have a service dog.. i have all the papaerwork his tags and shots

Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,767,214 times
There are two types of "service animals."

The legitimate ones like Y&R has for his diabetes and the bull**** ones that a lot of people try to pass off as service dogs.

If you have a medical condition and your dog is certified as trained for that medical condition then be up front about it when you are looking to rent.

The law limits what you can be asked but the law doesn't limit what you can volunteer.

On the other hand, if your dog just makes you feel good when you are unhappy, then look for a place that allows pets.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:21 PM

13,051 posts, read 20,708,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priscillas76 View Post
im trying to rent an apartment... and most say no pets i am finding i am being denied for dumb reasons or even saying there is so many people ahead of you, but they show me the house and when i put i have a service dog i always get some reason... if i say nothing im sure i would get the house.. and i think i now should say nothing so i can move. also do i have to tell them i have a service dog.. i have all the papaerwork his tags and shots
First, a Service Animal means jack squat under the FHA Act unless this is government housing. You fall under the FHA Act which means you have to request a reasonable accommodation for your "Assistance Animal" and the landlord must approve unless there is a legitimate legal reason to refuse.

Because the FHA Act is based on "Assistance Animals" they include trained service animals, emotional support animals, seizure alert animals and any other animal required for medical reasons. It is also not limited to dogs or horses but can be a monkey, lizards, mouse or penguin. Since the law is broad, it's one of the most abused regulations. This has led to many landlords being wary of the legitimacy of the animal and applicant. Most landlords simply find a reason beside the Assistance Animal to deny so they don't have to deal with it. Unfortunately it is against the regulations but due to abuse of the system, few people don't understand why landlord do this now. It only took a few inconsiderate self centered pond scum of a maggot feces scammer to ruin it for the legitimate users. I also place a great deal of blame on the legitimate Assistance Animal owners and their advocacy groups for refusing in the past to even consider some form of meaningful enforcement.

My recommendation is not to mention the animal until approved for the lease. Nothing requires you to inform the landlord of this beforehand. Since Assistance Animals is not an automatic right in housing under the FHA Act, you will always be required to ask permission regardless of the type and classification of the animal. So ask after approval. Once approve, make a request for a Reasonable Accommodation. If they already approved you for the unit and try to rescind that after the Reasonable Accommodation request, you have the basis for a formal legal complaint and enforcement.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:03 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,227,293 times
It seems there is a biweekly thread on service animals. This was the most recent. Read through it for answers to all your questions.

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...rvice-dog.html

Old 11-22-2017, 01:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,174,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Offer additional money for a pet deposit. Explain to them that you are a home owner so you understand how important it is to keep the place in good shape. Explain to them that it is a service dog and how well trained the dog is. Some landlords will be OK with it and some won't. Good luck.
It is not legal for a landlord to charge any pet deposit for an actual service dog (or an emotional support animal, which is very different and much more likely to damage the house as no training is required for them).

Old 11-22-2017, 01:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,174,666 times
Quote:
I do know it is illegal for business owners to even ask why I need a service dog when I enter businesses. My dog is a service animal and is marked clearly as one when she is working and I have never had a problem anywhere I have gone. She alerts me to my sugar levels so I do not pass out and helps me with injured permenentantly leg for balance. She is bathed weekly and is trained better than 98 percent of children to behave properly in public and a home.

Service dogs must be in attendance at your side all the time they are not left to destroy unwatched and they must be clean and free of any shedding hair at all times for going out in the public.

I want to add I have owned and sold three homes and would never rent them out period. People destroy rental properties and I am proud to say I have left every rental I have lived in cleaner and better cared for than when I arrived.
Landlords may not ask why you need the service dog but they MAY ask what service the dog is trained to do for you if the reason for your need to one is not obviious (if it's not a guide dog for the blind, for example). Being marked clearly as one is, sadly, no longer reliable as many people buy vests indicating their dog is a service dog off the internet when it is no such thing in order to game the system. I'm sorry that such people make it harder for people like you with a legitimate need but it is sadly the case.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:04 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,182,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
My recommendation is not to mention the animal until approved for the lease. Nothing requires you to inform the landlord of this beforehand. Since Assistance Animals is not an automatic right in housing under the FHA Act, you will always be required to ask permission regardless of the type and classification of the animal. So ask after approval. Once approve, make a request for a Reasonable Accommodation. If they already approved you for the unit and try to rescind that after the Reasonable Accommodation request, you have the basis for a formal legal complaint and enforcement.
Be careful with that. My application asks if any animals will be living on the premises and asks for a description of the animal and a check box to mark if it is a pet or not. If you didn't fill that in on the application and mark it as not a pet then I'd rescind the approval for lying on the application, if I found out after the lease was signed then I'd evict for lying on the application.

In general as long as they only ask about pets or animals in general you are okay to lie (omission is a lie) about the animal when asked.

Also know that you need a written doctors letter by a licensed medical or mental health professional that states you have a disability and need the animal to assist with the disability. LLs can call and check on the license of the doctor, they need to be licensed to practice in the state you are renting in, and verify the letter was written on your behalf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting