Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times

Advertisements

They have previous evictions for the past five years (one each year), a couple of evicitions with the same judge who will be at their hearing next week.

They said that some of the pool pipes burst on October 1, 2009 when rent was due (imagine that?). They did not call the lawyer. They did not call my mother. They "said" they spent $1,000 on pool repairs in a letter to the judge (whom they didn't even so much as find out which judge it was) and did not submit any repair receipts with the letter. Mom's pool guy keeps getting sent off the property as the tennants say they own it. (another imagine that). Rent is $1,400. So if they were really trying to be right, I feel they should have called & sent $400 at the very least.

Said the pool flooded the house (yeah, right) but apparently not enough to make any phone calls to anyone.

Mom's pool guy said the pool is fine, although turned off and no repairs are apparent.

Hearing is next week.

I went down to the courthouse & all the paperwork is online (lease, sublet, letter to the judge, etc.).

I wasn't sure if I should send a letter to the judge myself regarding how the past evictions obviously point out their character defect in regards to their lease with my mom....or just let the attorney handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Sounds as though you have all your ducks in a row and getting these people out won't be a problem.

Do NOT communicate with the judge under any circumstances. They do not take kindly to ex-parte communications and cannot respond to them. Just have all your information to hand on the court date including info on the past evictions which your attorney can certainly bring up if he/she deems it relevant. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,812,682 times
I would have the pool guy go to court, even if you had to pay him for his time just to validate your case.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM

278 posts, read 1,519,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Sounds as though you have all your ducks in a row and getting these people out won't be a problem.

Do NOT communicate with the judge under any circumstances. They do not take kindly to ex-parte communications and cannot respond to them. Just have all your information to hand on the court date including info on the past evictions which your attorney can certainly bring up if he/she deems it relevant. Good luck!

Why is it ok for the tenant to contact the judge, but not the landlord? I really don't understand this? It's seems as if tenants have the upper hand all the time. These people have numerous evictions. It's obvious they are "professinoals" at this game.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
It's not okay for the tenants to contact the judge unless they are representing themselves. (Legal, but not real smart.) That they did so, if they have an attorney, will not reflect well on them unless the letter went through their attorney.

Let your attorney handle it. I do think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the pool guy testify if your attorney thinks it would be appropriate and helpful.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's not okay for the tenants to contact the judge unless they are representing themselves. (Legal, but not real smart.) That they did so, if they have an attorney, will not reflect well on them unless the letter went through their attorney.

Let your attorney handle it. I do think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the pool guy testify if your attorney thinks it would be appropriate and helpful.
The letter was written by one of the brothers, to include both of them (brothers) as well as the subletter they have in the house (can you say mess?). No lawyer mentioned.

I'll let mom know that if the pool man could attend the hearing, that would be beneficial.

I don't know if I should go...I would have to take off work; although losing three hours of pay would surely make up for seeing all three of these tenants in a clown court situation.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Ask the attorney. He might want you to testify that you've been denied access to the property; he might not. He'll be the one to make that call.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Their letter to the judge will neither be acknowledged nor included in the court proceeding. They can present at the court hearing any documents relevant to their original answer to the summons and can offer testimony based on what they (stupidly) put into that letter but the letter itself will be ignored.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Their letter to the judge will neither be acknowledged nor included in the court proceeding. They can present at the court hearing any documents relevant to their original answer to the summons and can offer testimony based on what they (stupidly) put into that letter but the letter itself will be ignored.
Interesting. So basically it's going to be about the rent not being paid, not the bill they "claimed" to pay instead of rent.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Ask the attorney. He might want you to testify that you've been denied access to the property; he might not. He'll be the one to make that call.
Good idea. I'll call lawyer & see if he wants me there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting