U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 02:28 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,045,669 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this has less to do with renting than it does with a sticky situation between my roommate and I. We moved into a two bedroom apartment a few weeks ago after agreeing on a few minor terms. Well, immediately after moving in, he backed out on one of his terms. I was pretty irritated after that and to this day, I am still slightly irritated by him.

Now, it seems he wants me to watch his dog every time he goes out of town for work or pleasure. The first time, I did it without much hesitation. I decided watching his dog for a week wouldn't be all that bad. His dog is good natured, I'm just simply not interested in taking care of one at the moment (I enjoy my freedom). He explained to me the other day that he will probably be going out of town again at the end of the month for work. And again, I think he wants me to watch his dog for FREE. I'm coming to the conclusion that he's trying to use me to get free dog watching services.

What would you guys do in a situation like this? It doesn't bother me so much to watch his dog, rather it bothers me that he seems to be taking advantage of me. He's already reneged on one of the terms that we agreed on prior to moving in together, leaving me with some additional expenses each month. I don't think I owe him anything in addition to paying my half of the rent and the electric bill. How would you guys suggest going about this in a way that won't sour our relations for the remainder of our lease?

Thanks for your input!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 PM

16,082 posts, read 25,218,649 times
Your talking about an hour a day for a temporary period of time.
Sorry to seem offensive, but you sound selfish, this is your roommate for gods sake,
you live there. Maybe you'll need a favor from him one day and he'll be more than
happy to help out, if he doesn't, your both selfish.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Your talking about an hour a day for a temporary period of time.
Sorry to seem offensive, but you sound selfish, this is your roommate for gods sake,
you live there. Maybe you'll need a favor from him one day and he'll be more than
happy to help out, if he doesn't, your both selfish.
I'm not sure you understand my post. The dog will be in constant need of care/surveillance for the majority of the 24 hours X 7 days that he's gone. He's my roommate, this is true. But we moved into the apartment as business associates in order to reduce costs for the both of us. We DID NOT move in as buddies. As I explained in my post, when I needed a favor so to speak, he felt no pity for me when he reneged on a deal that left me with additional expenses. So, how exactly does this make me selfish?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM

4,838 posts, read 5,048,114 times
I would talk to him and have him pay you or he can pay a higher rent.

You aren't selfish.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:17 PM

4,398 posts, read 9,548,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Ok, so this has less to do with renting than it does with a sticky situation between my roommate and I. We moved into a two bedroom apartment a few weeks ago after agreeing on a few minor terms. Well, immediately after moving in, he backed out on one of his terms. I was pretty irritated after that and to this day, I am still slightly irritated by him.

Now, it seems he wants me to watch his dog every time he goes out of town for work or pleasure. The first time, I did it without much hesitation. I decided watching his dog for a week wouldn't be all that bad. His dog is good natured, I'm just simply not interested in taking care of one at the moment (I enjoy my freedom). He explained to me the other day that he will probably be going out of town again at the end of the month for work. And again, I think he wants me to watch his dog for FREE. I'm coming to the conclusion that he's trying to use me to get free dog watching services.

What would you guys do in a situation like this? It doesn't bother me so much to watch his dog, rather it bothers me that he seems to be taking advantage of me. He's already reneged on one of the terms that we agreed on prior to moving in together, leaving me with some additional expenses each month. I don't think I owe him anything in addition to paying my half of the rent and the electric bill. How would you guys suggest going about this in a way that won't sour our relations for the remainder of our lease?

Thanks for your input!
This is the guy with the cable right? I don't eve know if I would do it. It's in your best interest to be nice, but I would say that watching your dog is a big obligation and I can't do it I don't even know if I'd do it for money. Unless you can use the money than just look at a professional dog watching place and adjust the price.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:21 PM

809 posts, read 3,302,923 times
Your roommate should ask you to do it, not assume you will.

He's not your friend (so it sounds) and it sounds like he's not someone you would go to for favors.

This is a tricky situation because you don't want to be at war with your roommate. Handle it respectfully. You could say something like - "I don't mind occasionally taking care of the dog if it's an emergency, but I don't want to be in charge of the dog anytime you go out of town. It's not convenient for me because.... and I think it would be best if you made other arrangements for your dog when you travel. Again, if it's an emergency, ask me. But otherwise, I don't want to."

Or, if you are willing to do it, but want to be paid, you could say something like, "In regards to watching your dog while you're on vacation, what do you think a fair about to pay me for each day for my time and inconvenience?" "I did it free the last time, but since this is turning into a regular thing, I'd like you to either compensate me or make other arrangements for the dog." And think beforehand what you think a fair amount of money is.

These are just suggestions. You know your roommate better than I do and can maybe predict how me might respond. I'd recommend being nice about it and not starting the topic with accusing him of taking advantage of you (that will just cause him to be defensive).

Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
This is the guy with the cable right? I don't eve know if I would do it. It's in your best interest to be nice, but I would say that watching your dog is a big obligation and I can't do it I don't even know if I'd do it for money. Unless you can use the money than just look at a professional dog watching place and adjust the price.
Ah, you remember. That's the guy. Thanks for the advice!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,677,766 times
It's not your dog. How is it your responsibilty? That's almost like if he forced you to babysit his kid while he's gone.

Look, I know how it is to be a nice guy. But I learned long ago that you can be nice without letting someone take advantage of you. Don't you have a life too?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,178,025 times
Remember, what you do at the beginning of any relationship you have to continue doing- so you have
1- allowed the roommate to break terms/conditions of the agreement
2- you agreed to care for his pet

What were you thinking! No good deed goes unpunished.

Since you have allowed the breaking of the term/condition then you have consented- so you can't complain anymore, you've agreed.
2nd- next time he wants you to pet sit- say, "Gosh, I'm gonna be away for a while and won't be able to give Fido the attention he needs"
Keep saying that- not his business where you are going or why you are not going to be able to pet sit.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:42 PM

16,082 posts, read 25,218,649 times
A dog needing monitoring 24/7
Why don't you compromise, have your friend purchase a dog grate
roomy enough for the dog for extended hours ??

Otherwise, if you can't speak up for yourself, there's not much anyone here can do to help you.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or