Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 PM

31 posts, read 87,417 times

Advertisements

I have moved into a small cottage in Hermosa Beach. The cottage is directly behind an enormous propane tank on the gas station property behind my little back yard. When it is used, there is an enormous amount of gas that comes over to my property and fills my yard and even my home when the door is open.

I would like to know what I should do if I would like to terminate the lease due to "uninhabitability", or if this is possible? I moved in three months ago.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 03:41 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Determination by Health Department, Board of Health, Code Enforcement.
Also, contact the Attorney Generals office, to advise on where to properly direct inquiry and investigation.

An official from one of three above mentioned can declare the status "uninhabitable".

It is also possible, since this has nothing to do with the LL, he is not in violation. The correction can be made so you can return.

After declared uninhabitable, LL would have to return security deposit monies if you decided not to return, and you would be free to make other living arrangements.

Last edited by virgode; 11-28-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-29-2009, 07:08 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,783 times
I don't think it can be ruled uninhabitabled if it has been inhabitable before you moved in. If so the LL will not be able to ever rent the property. You are SOL. I have a propane license in Texas, just because you can smell it does't mean it's harmful. FYI propane refuelers are not required to wear protection and they are exposed to greater levels of propane than you.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Here is a link to the CA department of Consumer Affairs dealing with Habitability...

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Doesn't appear that the Landlord has failed his obligations to provide a habitable unit.

Have you contacted the local agency responsible for hazardous conditions... perhaps the Health Department, Air Management District or contacted the Fueling Facility?

Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
Actually, you need to call the air resource board since you are in CA and the fire marshall (both are likely permitting authorities for the propane tank in this case). One of the above needs to determine if the tank is releasing enough propane to cause a fire or explosion hazard in the house adjacent (where you are living). If the relief valves are giving off that much gas that causes a noticable odor then they are being overpressured, overfilled or the PRV s are not set correctly. Since the source of the problem is not your LL it is not likely to be his problem and he will not be able to correct it. I would waste no time in calling personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting