Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 11,471 times

Advertisements

I was recently laid off and unable to afford my rent. What is the procedure that I need to follow to move out of my leased apartment? Do I have to wait for the property manager to evict me? Does anyone know of a free legal service in Osceola County, FL that can advise me?

Last edited by 2goldens; 12-06-2009 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: Moved from FLA forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Do not get evicted talk to the landlord and then clean, clean, clean make it easy for him to rent. Move out on your own and help anyway you can. Being honest goes a long way and I hope you’re not one of mine

Old 12-06-2009, 08:52 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss-Is-Mee View Post
I was recently laid off and unable to afford my rent. What is the procedure that I need to follow to move out of my leased apartment? Do I have to wait for the property manager to evict me? Does anyone know of a free legal service in Osceola County, FL that can advise me?
Sorry to hear about your dilemma, but there are some things that seem to apply no matter where you live. As another poster mentioned, I would clean the place up spotlessly. In addition to that, I would document with pictures or video the condition and cleanliness of the place when you moved out. At that point, move out and turn it over to the landlord. You might even want to ask for some kind documentation detailing the date that you did so to include an exit inspection.

Here's why: most of these seem to end with the landlord taking you to court and getting a deficiency judgement against you for the period of your lease (or the entire lease) that the place sits empty. It'll go on your credit report and they might even sell the debt to a collection agency. So be prepared to defend yourself and don't add silly expenses such as cleaning to the mess.

If you end up living nearby, you might want to make periodic visits to keep tabs on when it gets rented.

Good luck.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:01 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
Sorry to hear about your dilemma, but there are some things that seem to apply no matter where you live. As another poster mentioned, I would clean the place up spotlessly. In addition to that, I would document with pictures or video the condition and cleanliness of the place when you moved out. At that point, move out and turn it over to the landlord. You might even want to ask for some kind documentation detailing the date that you did so to include an exit inspection.

Here's why: most of these seem to end with the landlord taking you to court and getting a deficiency judgement against you for the period of your lease (or the entire lease) that the place sits empty. It'll go on your credit report and they might even sell the debt to a collection agency. So be prepared to defend yourself and don't add silly expenses such as cleaning to the mess.

If you end up living nearby, you might want to make periodic visits to keep tabs on when it gets rented.

Good luck.
In an apartment complex if you evict someone their unit is the last unit you fill for obvious resins

Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Waiting to be evicted is just delaying the inevitable... and you will pay dearly for the couple of weeks gained by waiting for the Sheriff to do the deed.

How long before savings and/or unemployment is exhausted? Can you afford to rent at all or will freinds or family take you in?

If you have no hope of paying future rent... you need to move... most managers I know will work with you... no one wins in an eviction... most will accept your security deposit and call it even... at least this is my experience for an excellent tenant that had unexpectedly fallen on hard times.

Don't despair... better days are coming.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss-Is-Mee View Post
Be honest an approach th LL and explain the situation your in...try to solve it in a decent way and give them the time to find a new tenant and you might not be held towards all your rent obligations and won't get an eviction on your report...

I won't rent to any one with an eviction on their credit report...whatever their sob story is...I don't care.

Good Luck

Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
From a landlord's perspective, if you've already moved out and really don't have the money, they have nothing to gain by filing eviction proceedings in court. So talk to the landlord. If you can't work out a payment arrangement, move out before you are evicted, and leave the unit in spotless condition. Offer to advertise the unit, show the unit, and collect applications for the landlord so they don't have to spend their time doing those things. If you owe back rent, they can still try to collect that money, but that isn't a court proceedings and will look much better on your credit report.

I would also suggest contacting the Florida Department of Human Services at:
330 N. Beaumont Avenue
Kissimmee, FL 34741
407-742-8400 phone
Florida Department of Human Services

Among other things, they offer short-term cash and rental assistance for qualified individuals (note this is a different program than TANF and DCF programs which offer assistance only if you have a minor in the household).

If you need legal assistance, contact this group: Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida (http://www.clsmf.org/services.html - broken link)

Last edited by kodaka; 12-07-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 01:17 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
In an apartment complex if you evict someone their unit is the last unit you fill for obvious resins
Releasing again is dependent on a few factors.
Available units and how quickly it can be turned over
and move-in ready, whether it be normal move-out
process or eviction is irrelevant.

EDIT
To the Op

Social services has other agencies for referral as well to help with rental assistance monies.

Last edited by virgode; 12-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
Wait to get evicted, you'll live rent free for a few months. Those months you will end up eventually paying in court. Might as well live there.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:17 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
IF I were in your situation and couldn't find some short term financial help through an agency, I would go directly to my landlord and ask them how they wanted to handle the situation. I would offer to move, stay, clean or wash their car....whatever it took to assure them I was sorry and was willing to do whatever I could to make it easier on them. I would also do whatever it took to keep an eviction from being on my record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting