Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You can have noise problems even in the country. I had a weekend retreat back in Minnesota.

I had a neighbor who did practice shooting during the summer in preparation for the deer season in the Fall.

Kids running across my land and on the roads with their noisey dirt bikes.

In Winter, snowmobiles buzzing around everywhere in a nearby state forest.
Occasional target practice is more bearable than constant noise from traffic, stereos, and it's even worse if you're living such that you can hear your neighbors' every move and sound.

I think the following article is quite pertinent to this topic of noise, etc.:

How the city hurts your brain - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:55 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Living above someone, at lease where I live, is hell. Their stereo music vibrates the floors and there is loud wall banging etc. I am a very quiet, considerate neighbor who lives on the top floor. I can understand what you are saying, as my neighbor on the second floor next to my obnoxious neighbor, said he can hear loud feet stomping and music, and even conversations on the top floor!
You are right, but honestly these two characters are excessively loud and part of the problem is his revolving door of young roommates. When the guy was alone, I did not hear anything like that!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I learned very early on that, if you value your sanity and your sleep, ALWAYS live on the top floor. If you're not sensitive to noise, then it doesn't matter ( and you're very lucky). But for the rest of us.....
I usually live on the top floors in my last apts. No problem, but this apartment is built very poorly and I can hear the bathroom downstairs, the friggin TV and the stereo. The problem also is the heaters are so loud, your tv has to be up to hear it!However, the jerks under me are drunks and obnoxiously loud.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I usually live on the top floors in my last apts. No problem, but this apartment is built very poorly and I can hear the bathroom downstairs, the friggin TV and the stereo. The problem also is the heaters are so loud, your tv has to be up to hear it!However, the jerks under me are drunks and obnoxiously loud.
My sympathies. I've had that problem, too, in the past. Sometimes, they just need to be reminded that they are living in an adult complex/building, with people who work in the morning, and that such noise is not appreciated.I used to add a little ditty about "growing up, or moving back to the dorms", if I was particularly peeved, with some success..

In the end, perhaps its best to give your landlord a call...if you think that they might be dangerous..

Old 01-21-2010, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 12,880 times
Default Better ways to talk to your neighbor

First thing that comes to mind is why you haven't spoke to them face to face? Probably because it is uncomfortable and could relationship uncomfortable. I know this because my neighbor was upset with us for letting our door shut to hard. They let it go on and on then blew up. The thing is we had no idea that we were being so rude. We felt bad and of course make a great effort to shut the door quietly.

Mod Cut Link

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-21-2010 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Terms of Service do not allow members with less than 10 posts to post links

Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,135 times
Well this is exactly the same problem i am suffering.I have 7 months to go on lease.I have complined 4 times to the apartment management and they don't care.I have 2 MEXICANS with 3 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment above me.Sometimes i feel like to move out but i cannot.I start beating on the ceiling with a bat,the MEXICAN guy came down and told me somebody is nailing him from the bottom.Its just getting worse everyday.I hope the city or the govt to do something about this.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faquals View Post
Well this is exactly the same problem i am suffering.I have 7 months to go on lease.I have complined 4 times to the apartment management and they don't care.I have 2 MEXICANS with 3 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment above me.Sometimes i feel like to move out but i cannot.I start beating on the ceiling with a bat,the MEXICAN guy came down and told me somebody is nailing him from the bottom.Its just getting worse everyday.I hope the city or the govt to do something about this.
I just transferred into another apt and there was loud, thudding, booming night club type music coming from not one, but three apartments! My entire apt literally shook and I could not hear my tv or talk on the phone! I was in shock! I talked to the manager Monday morning and gave him a copy of my lease with a very specific section on Noise, loud guests etc. I asked him why these tenants are allowed to make this excessive noise all day and night Saturday. It is against the noise ordinance due to the large speakers and the decibel level, according to the environmental office in our city. Also nightclubs and outdoor festivals need licenses to play music like this. The manager said he could do nothing on the weekends, but send a maintenance person over. He said keep calling the Police! The Police come and when they leave they turn it back up. I told the manager I have a signed legal document and why is it that some of your lease sections are enforced, but others are ignored? He looked at me trying to find a answer, as he knows it is not right. He then said he would inspect the apartments and find out what type of equipment was being used. He would then send out a warning letter and he wants me to write a letter and make a video. Well noise has been a big issue in the complex and he is new and claimshe will take care of it. A lot of tenants are complaining. The Police also said to go to the Magistrates office to file a nuisance complaint on the neighbors. Landlord Tenant said to speak with a lawyer, as it appears to be a breach of contract. I feel your pain and I hope this helps. You do not have to be helpless, as the Landlords try to make you feel as if you have no rights. You actually do. Research tenant rights online and in your state. Good Lick!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Memories...such memories. Yrs back I lived in a lge apartment complex on the bottom floor. Into my time there they sold out to a lge Canadian company that started to convert the apts over to Condos.

Above me was a couple with a small boy 3-4 yrs old that was always dropping or bouncing things on the floor. Every time they had s** at night the noise vibrations would emulate thru the walls into my bedroom. The shower noise was terrible when trying to watch TV. They ate a lot of spaggetti and the garbage disposal was used a lot and the remains would back up into my kitchen sink or bathroom tub.

Had my kids and grandchildren over every thurs for Taco night. Try having dinner with the water and food backing up in your kitchen sink and over flowing onto the floor. This happened more then once.

I laughed at mgmt when they gave me a letter saying that I had so many days to buy the unit or move out. I chose to move out even tho the price was low at the time. Yrs on saw in the paper many of the units (now condos) for Sale. I wonder why?

Steve

Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A replica of a colonial saltbox house in one case. Timber framed, all the timbers and clapboards were hand hewn and/or split/rived. Floorboards cut on site too. Windows found used. Antique hardware found used. Foundation was a mix of stone and concrete. 2 stone fireplaces, woodstove for heat (using petroleum for heating 6 months of the year is absurd when surrounded by trees), inside panelled with wood. The most expensive things were the septic system, well/pump, and wiring and plumbing the inside.

Other ones I know of built log houses, fairly cheaply.

It simply takes determination. I've calculated for my own home already which will be built from wood from my land. A log structure taking the form of a half-cape cod (will eventually be covered in wood shingles to add a bit more airtightness to it), will take under $1500 (could be done with less but the shorter summer in Alaska will be working against me so I'll likely buy some plywood rather than splitting my own boards for the floors, etc.). The land was admittedly $11,000 for 20 acres but it leaves me a nice wood supply for heating.
Wow, this sounds really cool. I am going to look into this. I love Log Houses.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 AM

31 posts, read 89,228 times
thats why you save up ASAP for a down on a HOUSE in a subdivision with a strict ACTIVE HOA.
so if the noise issue occurs, you have an HOA, and contract Police officers to back you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting