Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:00 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times

Advertisements

When you banged on the ceiling in "retaliation" for making normal noise, you made yourself the bad guy. Management should throw you out and let the people who keep their apartment clean stay there.

If vacuuming every day seems so unusual to you, maybe you are the reason for the ant and termite infestations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Some people are just loud walkers. My boyfriend sounds like a herd of cattle coming down the hallway to his apartment- I can always tell when it's him coming home. There's nothing he can really do about it. His apartment is all hardwood and I'm sure the people below him can hear because we can hear the people above. They have parties some weekends where they and their friends play DDR and they lift weights and drop things fairly regularly at all hours. Are we going to complain about it, or even worse, bang on the ceiling? Of course not. With the exception of DDR (which always ends at a reasonable hour), they are simply living life. They shouldn't have to tip toe simply because they live in an apartment.

But that's life in an apartment. If you choose to live in an apartment that isn't the top floor, you're accepting the possibility of loud people above you. Honestly, if someone came to complain because I was *vacuuming* every day and started to bang on the ceiling, I'd be sure to wear some high heels and practice my Top Model walk across the room.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Having loud tennant's above is always a night mare. This is one of the apartment drawbacks, and it isn't only above, it could be next door. It is unfortunate that when these buildings were built way back when, they really did not pay attention to soundproofing. Imagine having your bedroom back to back with some ones kitchen, that would be a night mare, or an adults bedroom back to back with a childs room. Oh, i could go on, but I wont.
It is just one of the problems apartment dwellers face.
We just heard an argument (in the hallway) with the 2nd fl apt up to 3 rd floor apt screamming about her 14 month old stomping all around the floors, no carpeting of course.....it can wear on ones nerves.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:23 PM

98 posts, read 619,098 times
Most places these days are worth the rent they are charging because of shoddy workmanship and extremely poor soundproofing. I live in an" luxury apartment" with trash concierge and valet dry cleaning. However when I am woken up at 3 a.m from upstairs neighbors who never seem to go to sleep with the constant dropping of things, hammering and loud music it doesn't seem so luxury at all. Many nights I have been jolted awake to them arguing right over my head in my own bedroom. I can hear every word of it too. I just look up at the celing and shake my head. I am grateful I have only 3 more months left on this lease.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I've been in a similar situation, and I eventually moved after putting up with loud obnoxious neighbors living next to me for 2 1/2 years. I only put up with it so long because my apartment was under rent control. I couldn't call the managers, because they were the managers. For what it's worth, when I moved I had a moment of, "Wow, the next tenants are going to be paying so much more, and they'll still have to put up with this!" But you can't save the world.

I'm paying $364/month more now, but my sanity and peace of mind are worth every penny. Also, the arguing would get much worse on holidays; it was so wonderful to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas in my own home without having to turn up the music to drown out the morons next to us!

Last edited by SandyCo; 12-29-2009 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 09:40 AM

56 posts, read 512,520 times
Exclamation One of them

Howdy my upstairs neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
When you banged on the ceiling in "retaliation" for making normal noise, you made yourself the bad guy. Management should throw you out and let the people who keep their apartment clean stay there.

If vacuuming every day seems so unusual to you, maybe you are the reason for the ant and termite infestations.

Last edited by mibtp; 12-29-2009 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 AM

Thumbs up i hear you...

I've found a place that is about $150 more a month, were supposed to be condos, now rentals. Cement between floors. No more rudeness.
You're right about sanity. It's worth every penny. Perhaps the managers of your building were trying to get you out so they can rent for more??

When my neighbors were really loud last night I got my next door neighbor to come over and listen as a witness. He said, "What the hell are they doing??" He volunteered to go up and knock on their door and tell them to keep it down. But I said I'm no, I'll be moving this month. He said, "I don't know how you can put up with that." I can't... that's why I'm moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I've been in a similar situation, and I eventually moved after putting up with loud obnoxious neighbors living next to me for 2 1/2 years. I only put up with it so long because my apartment was under rent control. I couldn't call the managers, because they were the managers. For what it's worth, when I moved I had a moment of, "Wow, the next tenants are going to be paying so much more, and they'll still have to put up with this!" But you can't save the world.

I'm paying $364/month more now, but my sanity and peace of mind are worth every penny. Also, the arguing would get much worse on holidays; it was so wonderful to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas in my own home without having to turn up the music to drown out the morons next to us!

Last edited by SandyCo; 12-29-2009 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: misspelled

Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Default Question

Have you tried to talk to them? A note? Or are you just riding it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillion3147 View Post
Most places these days are worth the rent they are charging because of shoddy workmanship and extremely poor soundproofing. I live in an" luxury apartment" with trash concierge and valet dry cleaning. However when I am woken up at 3 a.m from upstairs neighbors who never seem to go to sleep with the constant dropping of things, hammering and loud music it doesn't seem so luxury at all. Many nights I have been jolted awake to them arguing right over my head in my own bedroom. I can hear every word of it too. I just look up at the celing and shake my head. I am grateful I have only 3 more months left on this lease.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM

98 posts, read 619,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
Have you tried to talk to them? A note? Or are you just riding it out?
Yes it's been pure hell living here. I only had one months peace to myself since I moved in here before those folks got here. I spoke to them(it got confrontational at one point) and management has spoken to them as well. Nothing really came of it. They are not going to change. My lease is up in early April but due to my schedule I am moving in March. So yes I am riding it out until that time. These folks are crazy and why they do the things they do I will never understand. They love for some reason to dump water and ice out of their front door and as always it finds it way down to my front entrance because it's nothing but a wood floor with slats. I almost got soaked one evening as I was leaving.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Whether or not it is what you want to hear, annerk is correct. Living in an apartment complex or plex unit (duplex, triplex, etc) has certain disadvantages. One of the worst is that you have to put up with hearing daily living noises from neighbors.

Vacuuming, even every day, is a normal living noise. Walking, or even running around the apartment is a normal living noise. Even things like running on a treadmill or doing jumping jacks are normal living noises. As long as they occur during normal "awake" hours, the other tenant has as much right to live their lives as you have to live yours. Unfortunately, in your case, you and your neighbor have different enough lifestyles as to cause a problem.

We've had tenants complain because they can hear the neighbor opening and closing drawers in the kitchen, hear their garage door opening, etc. Those are things that you really can't avoid. Both you and your neighbor have the right to live within the law and the rules of the complex. I consider a normal amount of daytime noise to be normal and acceptable. Most city codes and apartment complexes agree. If you don't, that is a problem you will have to deal with, because no one can promise you quiet living, and especially not in an apartment.

If noise is such a big deal to you, I suggest you find a house to rent somewhere. Yes, it will cost more, but you can't expect to get better living conditions without paying for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting