Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit69 View Post
I know this is late but I am having problems as well with the tenants upstairs. There is the man and his son on the lease to start with. The ex wife stays up there with grandchildren who are not on the lease. Their apartment is a revolving door of grandchildren staying overnight/living with them. Up to 6 people at a time are up there and we are only allowed to have 4 in a 2 bedroom. They allow their grandchildren to run around back and forth, jumping around, etc. until 10:30 at night sometimes on week nights and 1 or 2 am on weekends. I work for the local school and have to be at work at 7:30 am. My son has Autism and needs rest to function properly at school then he has swim meets on weekends. I am getting headaches from lack of rest and stress from work and the constant noise from the time I get home until whenever they choose to put them to bed. I have complained to the managers, called the courtesy officer who all have spoken to them. They just get mad at me because "they are just kids and kids will be kids"...are you the adult who is supposed to be in charge? I understand because I am a mom about some noise but I taught my kids to be respectful of others, their rights and NOT TO RUN IN THE FREAKING HOUSE. It was my responsibility as the adult in their life to do so and so have their grandparents. Now After I complain they comply for a few weeks and then they let them run around like banshees again. There is carpet throughout the apartments and when its just the adults and the middle grandchild it is normal noise. I can deal with normal noise. I can deal with the extra noise when I get home... but it is the noise when we are trying to sleep that is annoying. Nobody likes being kept up or being woken up to what seems like bar bells being dropped on the ceil on a constant basis...these people just don't care about being neighborly! Yes I have tried the tap, I have tried making more annoying noise back none of it works. I hate complaining but I want sleep for me and my autistic son. We have a clause that says management has the right not to allow guests back on the property...I have been complaining off and on since June 2014 it is now January 2015! And I can't afford to move!!!
You have to move...it's the only solution. And never live below someone again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 03:09 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl44 View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with neighbor noise in a condo complex? I hear the girl upstairs stomping around all the time and I hate it intensely. I've said something to her about it and it got kind of better but it never really stops. I really don't walk around tons like he girl upstairs (no idea where she's going all the time-- our units are small) and I don't slam drawers and dressers and closets like she does. I just don't know what to do.
Well, if you haven't moved yet.. ha.. I know, nothing happens immediately. I saw this and wanted to sympathize since it is a problem, being that it seems to be a particular personality. I have had three out of many neighbors live above me who have been like this. It is very inconsiderate and it is as if they are "cut from the same cloth" - the hyperactivity, the constant racket and movement for hours, unless they are gone or asleep. (The 3rd in a series I am currently dealing with, being a couple and have determined it is the wife who is the biggest offender - the neverending fast, hard, continual movements, makes me crazy. Luckily, they must live at another location the same few days each week - strange - but thankfully, I get a break).

Since I have seen this same description commonly from renters, I wonder if this sort of person suffers from something like ADHD or are regularly caffeinated and unaware how their actions are affecting others.. actually, I don't think they care. It might help in some cases to speak to them, but I have never found it helpful, them being seemingly "nice at the door", then finding that the behavior doesn't cease. (I had one girl like this who was endlessly annoying, as you describe, who had previously lived over another neighbor in the building, I found out later. Her previous downstairs neighbor had asked this woman if she could "please calm down, because she liked to relax in the evening" (as we all ..ahem.. most seem to like to do). She said, "it stopped for a day or two, only to begin again". I went through the same having her live above me, but she moved after one year, thank god. These people never seem to see that THEY are the problem and matter where they move, will be troublesome, unless not connected to another unit. Speaking to management can be helpful, however they are mostly concerned with keeping the peace and sadly, never know what a tenant is experiencing, daily.

When it comes to loud music or TV, you can report it if it is late, or try to explain to the neighbor how it enters your unit or have them come to your place when it is happening, so they hear it. Again, it may not help. I had a guy who was nextdoor to me once, who I asked if he could please turn his music down, which was located on an adjoining wall. He said "Oh, sure, no problem"... only to hear it again 20 minutes later! This occurred repeatedly and finally, I called the police, which of course, made him mad. He moved at some point, but, what the heck, what if everyone went around doing whatever they felt like all the time? And once again, this type is apparently not taught to be respectful of others and likely demonstrate their inconsiderate behavior everywhere they go (in stores, in traffic, at work, etc.).

No, apartment living is not always great, but there can be redeeming qualities. My building is typically quiet with decent neighbors (except for those mentioned) and a good manager, with other attributes I appreciate. I know it is suggested by some to determine how a building IS prior to moving in, but how is that executed, exactly? Hanging out around the building at all hours? What if it is a security building? How is a person able to be in the proposed unit prior, to see how noisy neighbors are? The main thing is, even if feeling it is appropriate at the time, there is no controlling what type may become a neighbor later - and that is the problem. Hopefully things will change for the better and it is a learning experience. Good luck with it all.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:39 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
As someone who has lived in apartments for the past 15 years, I've had all kinds of inconsiderate and annoying neighbors. My very first apartment was on the ground level. The guy who lived above me was a stomper. I hated it, but I dealt with it. Then at one point he either dropped something or fell on the floor or something so hard that the frickin plaster started falling off the ceiling. The cops were called at that point and while he still stomped, nothing like that ever happened again. From that moment, I vowed never to live below the top floor. It helps, but inconsiderate neighbors can be annoyances from below and the side unfortunately.

I use both a box fan for the white noise AND earplugs because I'm a light sleeper, but neither of those drown out thumping/stomping/banging noises because of the low pitch and the vibration. The only thing I've found that helps is earplugs with headphones blasting drum heavy music.

To those saying it's apartments, it's your choice to live there and you should just deal with a-hole neighbors... yeah, okay. I guess asking for some consideration for others is too much. There's a huge difference between normal every day noise and stomping. It's easy to tell the difference and it's not that difficult to try to walk a little more quietly.

In regards to the "buy a house" or "rent a place with concrete floors" - that's not so easy. Houses come with their own issues (barking dogs, neighbors with hot rods, etc) and finding apartments with concrete floors is incredibly difficult. Honestly, I haven't bought a house at this point simply because I'm waiting to find the right size plot of land in the right place so I can put a house smack in the middle and have no close neighbors. Solves every problem!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
As someone who has lived in apartments for the past 15 years, I've had all kinds of inconsiderate and annoying neighbors. My very first apartment was on the ground level. The guy who lived above me was a stomper. I hated it, but I dealt with it. Then at one point he either dropped something or fell on the floor or something so hard that the frickin plaster started falling off the ceiling. The cops were called at that point and while he still stomped, nothing like that ever happened again. From that moment, I vowed never to live below the top floor. It helps, but inconsiderate neighbors can be annoyances from below and the side unfortunately.

To those saying it's apartments, it's your choice to live there and you should just deal with a-hole neighbors... yeah, okay. I guess asking for some consideration for others is too much. There's a huge difference between normal every day noise and stomping. It's easy to tell the difference and it's not that difficult to try to walk a little more quietly.

In regards to the "buy a house" or "rent a place with concrete floors" - that's not so easy. Houses come with their own issues (barking dogs, neighbors with hot rods, etc) and finding apartments with concrete floors is incredibly difficult.
You are right - and if you can be in a house, great. As you say, inconsiderate people can be anywhere. Unfortunately, at this point, I personally would have trouble living upstairs due to my knees, especially one, having developed severe Osteoarthritis in them.. but I see the point, as many suggest. (I would also like the idea of not worrying about open windows). I don't care for those big buildings with elevators that have fewer windows and smell -- sensing that suggestion will come from someone.

You made me think how I never called the police on any of these clomping freaks, especially the worst one, who habitually created slammimg, banging and THUDS that shook the ceiling and windows - on a regular basis. I could never understand what was going on with him, or any who live like this. I should have called the police on this effing Chinese freak.. especially as he would have his bedroom TV volume up loudly, of talking and singing in Chinese, during the hours of 3-6 am! Surprisingly, I never reported him. I would try to speak to him myself, which went nowhere and telling management is not entirely helpful.. the tenant will just acts like they are fine and "understand" at the door, then it begins all over again. I've not brought the manager down here evenings, to sit and listen to it.

It can be unbearable and honestly, this problem needs to be considered in a category of its own, since, as you say, is totally different from normal, everyday living noise (that others like to blame on building construction).

Old 02-14-2015, 10:42 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
You are right - and if you can be in a house, great. As you say, inconsiderate people can be anywhere. Unfortunately, at this point, I personally would have trouble living upstairs due to my knees, especially one, having developed severe Osteoarthritis in them.. but I see the point, as many suggest. (I would also like the idea of not worrying about open windows). I don't care for those big buildings with elevators that have fewer windows and smell -- sensing that suggestion will come from someone.

You made me think how I never called the police on any of these clomping freaks, especially the worst one, who habitually created slammimg, banging and THUDS that shook the ceiling and windows - on a regular basis. I could never understand what was going on with him, or any who live like this. I should have called the police on this effing Chinese freak.. especially as he would have his bedroom TV volume up loudly, of talking and singing in Chinese, during the hours of 3-6 am! Surprisingly, I never reported him. I would try to speak to him myself, which went nowhere and telling management is not entirely helpful.. the tenant will just acts like they are fine and "understand" at the door, then it begins all over again. I've not brought the manager down here evenings, to sit and listen to it.

It can be unbearable and honestly, this problem needs to be considered in a category of its own, since, as you say, is totally different from normal, everyday living noise (that others like to blame on building construction).
Just out of curiosity, since you mention it twice, once even in italics for emphasis, what does his race have to do with it? If he was talking and singing in English, would it have been OK or something? And if he actually didn't understand when you talked to him at his door, why on earth would you expect him to change his behaviour? Maybe "reporting" him to management or someone who could communicate would have solved your problem? Just a thought.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Just out of curiosity, since you mention it twice, once even in italics for emphasis, what does his race have to do with it? If he was talking and singing in English, would it have been OK or something? And if he actually didn't understand when you talked to him at his door, why on earth would you expect him to change his behaviour? Maybe "reporting" him to management or someone who could communicate would have solved your problem? Just a thought.
No, either you are not following or I didn't make it clear - (it's clear in my head as I say it, since I am the the one recalling it). Nothing to do with race, only that, since he pissed me off so badly, I expressed myself as I did. He spoke English, but the couple of times I went to his door, he mostly responded with "uh huh" or "Um-hm". (I got the impression he was likely used to complaints everywhere he had lived and it meant nothing to him, tuning it out). There were different stages over a stretch of time, and prior to the TV problem occurring.

I did not say HE was singing, but sounded like LOUD TV in a foreign language, but knowing HE was Chinese, I figured that was the language and repeatedly, heard a female's voice, speaking and singing, in the middle of the night. (It would not have mattered if it were in English considering the volume, it's just that it was "like screeching" and more irritating. I mean, I could not even sleep in my bedroom! I doubt many would be able to tolerate that.

I had spoken to the manager, but nobody else ever knows what you are going through, not living in your unit. Then, as I say, even If management speaks to them, the tenant's response can be "nonchalant" (saying "um-hum" to her also) or feigning innocence of the complaint, going unresolved. It's hell.

Anyway, after writing him a letter detailing everything, it got a bit better, at least with the TV, and he moved a couple months later for work. But this is just one similar neighbor experience out of three, otherwise having had other neighbors up there who were not a problem.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
I have lived in my lower level apartment for three years. I am disabled and cannot live on the upper level, not to mention there is no difference in rental costs between upper and lower levels here. I have had three prior tenants live above me and I understand what "normal" noise is. There has never been an issue until now. My first clue should have been when the newest neighbors began moving in at 3:00 a.m. Every day and night since it sounds as if they are dragging dead bodies across the floor, dropping boulders, and participating in the running of the bulls. Their storage closet which sets off the balcony, overlaps above a portion of my bedroom. This man was out there at 2:00 a.m. dragging things in and out. So I don't understand why many people on this forum are making MIBTP seem unreasonable to want to have some peace and quite just like the people above do. It shouldn't matter what floor you live on, we all pay rent and we all deserve the same common courtesies.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:58 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
That all sounds good in theory, but it doesnt work that way. For all you know, they work at odd hours and sleep during the day. Its allowed. They can do that.

All you can do is get some earplugs. Thats the perils of living below other people. They are allowed to live their life the way they want, same way as you do. I know its a lousy situation, but it is what it is.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,229 times
Default I'm your upstairs neighbor

Ha, made you look!!

I am the upstairs renter in a 4plex. All the rest of the units are ground level; I'm the only 2 story level. When I was looking at the place the 2nd time, and the landlords told me they wanted me to live there, they warned me about the guy downstairs that "complains about everything". He doesn't work, so I guess he has nothing better to do. I moved in with my 18 year old daughter and 2 dogs. The 3rd evening there he came stomping up the steps to tell me that my dog was jumping on the floor and he could hear it. WE HAVE WALL TO WALL CARPETING. I told him my dog wasn't jumping, but that I had thrown his tennis ball to him and he would lift his 2 front paws up off the floor to catch the ball. I showed him. But to appease my new neighbor, I no longer throw the ball to my dog (and it is killing him!) inside. But that didn't make my neighbor happy... I went out to do laundry in the communal laundry room at 8 a.m. on Saturday (the sign says 8 am-10 pm) and was told it was "too early". He told me how I should sweep the debris (tree leaves) off my deck so that it doesn't fall below onto his terrace (not possible). He yells downstairs if he thinks my t.v. is on too loud... I put runners down on the parts of the floors that are not covered by carpet, I put an extra carpet on top of the w-2-w in the living room; I NEVER EVER where shoes in the apt.... I am refinishing my table and only used the sander outside from noon - 4pm on Saturday and not at all on Sunday (did hand sanding instead, which is CRAZY)... what the F**K more does this person want from me??? I am truly tempted to show him JUST HOW IT COULD BE if I were "NORMAL" and didn't give a damn about his complaints.

Sometimes the people upstairs DO CARE but sometimes it just never seems to be enough. I know for a fact that the building has little to no insulation between the floors, and my downstairs neighbor complains bitterly about this fact and how he intends to "take the landlord down" when he moves out.

Also, it is completely freaky to me that my neighbor can hear me opening my closet door (he told me that), what would happen if I had a boyfriend for god's sake?

Old 06-10-2015, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
I have a 2 year old son and he is impossible. We live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story apt building. The neighbor below us also has a toddler. They complain about our son ALL THE TIME. And we hear their child flipping out all the time and we don't complain. I have started spanking my son every time he runs, yells, jumps, drops a toy, throws a fit, etc. I have no idea what else I can possibly do. I could tie him up.... put him in a dog crate... idk. I mean what does my neighbor expect me to do???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting