Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 03:45 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Right or not, anyone with some consideration would NOT take a unit above someone if they know they are going to be noisy - and anyone with a young child should know this is the case.

You seem to think that because we live in apartments we are supposed to deal with any and all noise and consider it daily living noise. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that theory.

Then don't live in multi family units. And don't put words in my mouth because I've said over and over, daily living noise and nuisance noise are two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:17 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInTearsHere View Post
I have a 2 year old son and he is impossible. We live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story apt building. The neighbor below us also has a toddler. They complain about our son ALL THE TIME. And we hear their child flipping out all the time and we don't complain. I have started spanking my son every time he runs, yells, jumps, drops a toy, throws a fit, etc. I have no idea what else I can possibly do. I could tie him up.... put him in a dog crate... idk. I mean what does my neighbor expect me to do???

When they complain, act all sympathetic and say "Oh, I know, these building are terrible and the sound really carries, doesn't it? Your Johnny must really hate bath time, he screams "NO BATH!" so loudly every single time!" or whatever it is you've heard their kid flipping out over.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:14 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
A lot of times the tenant doesn't have the choice of the unit...the leasing manger will assign them a unit. And a family has just as much right to live on the second and third floor as anyone else. And when you live a family oriented complex, you're going to hear noise.
Quote:
Right or not, anyone with some consideration would NOT take a unit above someone if they know they are going to be noisy - and anyone with a young child should know this is the case.

You seem to think that because we live in apartments we are supposed to deal with any and all noise and consider it daily living noise. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that theory.
I have never heard being "assigned a unit" either, since a renter would be agreeing to a unit they saw and selected. For instance in my case, I would purposely be seeking a lower unit due to arthritic knees and would only sign up for an apartment I saw (and examined). If they did not have one that suited my needs, I would check out another building.

Just as one should be considerate selecting a downstairs unit when having kids who run, the same goes for those who want to use heavy excercise equipment, jump rope, are hyperactive - walking fast and hard, scraping, slamming, banging, rattling, dropping things or using tools to assemble items regularly, etc.

The problem would be so simple to alter if some would just think beforehand, but that is the problem. It seems that some are not self-aware and do not consider their personal habits or preferences being bothersome for anyone, thinking "everyone is the same", having an uncaring attitude, blaming it on construction or it just being "usual noise". I understand it can be difficult for those having kids, but my feeling is that if families would select "family buildings" (which I avoid) with play areas, everyone would be in the same situation and would be better for kids, too.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I have never heard being "assigned a unit" either, since a renter would be agreeing to a unit they saw and selected. For instance in my case, I would purposely be seeking a lower unit due to arthritic knees and would only sign up for an apartment I saw (and examined). If they did not have one that suited my needs, I would check out another building.

Just as one should be considerate selecting a downstairs unit when having kids who run, the same goes for those who want to use heavy excercise equipment, jump rope, are hyperactive - walking fast and hard, scraping, slamming, banging, rattling, dropping things or using tools to assemble items regularly, etc.

The problem would be so simple to alter if some would just think beforehand, but that is the problem. It seems that some are not self-aware and do not consider their personal habits or preferences being bothersome for anyone, thinking "everyone is the same", having an uncaring attitude, blaming it on construction or it just being "usual noise". I understand it can be difficult for those having kids, but my feeling is that if families would select "family buildings" (which I avoid) with play areas, everyone would be in the same situation and would be better for kids, too.

You can't have 'family only' buildings. Its discrimination. So it's crap shoot when you rent somewhere because even if you tell the leasing agent, "I want something quiet, away from kids" there's no guarantee a family won't move in above you, below you or next to you. Even those units that you'd think only singles or couples would choose can have a single parent and a kid.

Construction plays a huge part in the noise issue. If you move into a wood frame unit, you're going to hear more noise from your neighbors than if you're in a solid concrete unit.

I live in a townhouse, solid concrete (10 inches worth) dividing the units and I hear nothing from either neighbor. Not a sound...one neighbor has an autistic 16 yr old who pitches fit quite a bit...I never hear him unless he's outside. The other has 2 hound dogs that I never, ever hear unless my patio doors is open and so is theirs. ( the neighbor on the their other side claims she can hear the dogs..but she's just a grump anyway)

The upper floor is combo wood/concrete and I can hear my cat jump off my bed. I can hear the toilet flush upstairs, I can hear my dog jumping around up stairs. If you live in a unit that's built like my top floor (and many places are) you're going to hear the same things I hear. Should I banish my pets to the first floor? Should I make my daughter bathe downstairs because I can hear her shower when I'm in the living room?

If you live in a house that's been converted to multi family units, you will most defiantly hear noise.

My last complex was solid concrete top to bottom, side to side, no noise; EVER. I only heard noise if my windows were open or someone was booming their bass. This complex had 960 units, there was an older section, wood frame, where you'd hear everyone footfall, every TV, every fight. I lived in the newer buildings and I knew to ask for something on that side. I met a lot of tenants at the dog park and those in those buildings complained of noise all the time, but understood that it's part of multi family living. Some were ticked because the leasing manager wouldn't address some of their noise complaints unless they were violating the lease. This topic came up month after month at our resident meetings and it's an issue that will never go away.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:46 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times
I have loud upstairs neighbors with kids in a 1 bedroom 500 Sq foot apartment. They drive me crazy. I dont know why I cant just get used to the noise. Ive been here for 15 months now. I would have thought Id be used to it.

I think it stems from me not knowing them really, and when I hear noises I automatically think "Theyre inconsiderate jerks."
That may or may not be true, but when youre feeling anxious from the jumping, stomping and running, your mind goes into negative territories.

I really want my next apartment to be on the top floor. Im afraid though of not finding one. As one poster mentioned, sometimes you get assigned a unit or maybe just one is vacant. Surely though with all of the complexes around one must have a top floor open.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Quote:
Then don't live in multi family units. And don't put words in my mouth because I've said over and over, daily living noise and nuisance noise are two different things.
I've seen plenty of threads where someone described stomping and slamming around that is way above and beyond daily living noise and you told them that they can't expect people to stop walking around or shutting their cabinets. So you put the words in your own mouth.

And people who live in apartments should have the same right to peace and quiet as anyone else.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:43 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Quote:
I've seen plenty of threads where someone described stomping and slamming around that is way above and beyond daily living noise and you told them that they can't expect people to stop walking around or shutting their cabinets. So you put the words in your own mouth.

And people who live in apartments should have the same right to peace and quiet as anyone else.
Yes, M. It appears too blanketed a term to categorize all as "daily living noise", and might rather be a range to classify what a tenant experiences, without the assumption that the tenant is being "over-sensitive". It is unrealistic to have it lumped together, to have it negated by some as "that's apartment living" - (and no.. not always, by any means). Management should come in to witness the offense in action, not just telling an offender to "quiet down", while the neighbor feigns innocence. Also, these sorts of thuds, bangs, etc., are considered "low-frequency" and are not easily recordable, requiring certain equipment.

Then, "nuisance noise" (which frankly, seems that over-the-top racket should also be categorized as a "nuisance", when only deemed as "loud music, TV after hours"). I don't know when these two categories were established, but it clearly is not covering it all or resolving the issue for many.

An example: A guy in my building has lived in an upstairs, single unit for 5 years. In that time, two tenants below him have requested to be moved to other units, and now, a third is complaining that he is making loud noise. Now, I don't know what the heck he is doing and have been told he has very little furniture. (I do think he is odd). So, now he is being threatened with eviction OR possibly a lower unit - but it took three different tenants complaining for there to be credibility against him. So, it would apparently take others living in my unit after me, for complaints about my current upstairs neighbors (if still here), to be taken seriously. And since ceasing placing carpeting in the dining area, it has been, and will doubtless be contributing. (I have to laugh, that the girl complaining regarding that guy, thinks nothing of having others endure a thumping base noise coming from her). People..

Last edited by In2itive_1; 06-14-2015 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:

hearing people walk and hearing people open and shut their doors is daily living noise. Daily living noise has nothing to with the 'right to peaceful enjoyment'.

I'll say it again: Daily living noise is NOT nuisance noise. They are two totally different things.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Yes, M. It appears too blanketed a term to categorize all as "daily living noise", and might rather be a range to classify what a tenant experiences, without the assumption that the tenant is being "over-sensitive". It is unrealistic to have it lumped together, to have it negated by some as "that's apartment living" - (and no.. not always, by any means). Management should come in to witness the offense in action, not just telling an offender to "quiet down", while the neighbor feigns innocence. Also, these sorts of thuds, bangs, etc., are considered "low-frequency" and are not easily recordable, requiring certain equipment.

Then, "nuisance noise" (which frankly, seems that over-the-top racket should also be categorized as a "nuisance", when only deemed as "loud music, TV after hours"). I don't know when these two categories were established, but it clearly is not covering it all or resolving the issue for many.

An example: A guy in my building has lived in an upstairs, single unit for 5 years. In that time, two tenants below him have requested to be moved to other units, and now, a third is complaining that he is making loud noise. Now, I don't know what the heck he is doing and have been told he has very little furniture. (I do think he is odd). So, now he is being threatened with eviction OR possibly a lower unit - but it took three different tenants complaining for there to be credibility against him. So, it would apparently take others living in my unit after me, for complaints about my current upstairs neighbors (if still here), to be taken seriously. And since ceasing placing carpeting in the dining area, it has been, and will doubtless be contributing. (I have to laugh, that the girl complaining regarding that guy, thinks nothing of having others endure a thumping base noise coming from her). People..

Nuisance noise is that noise that's defined in your lease, community rules or local noise ordnance. That means, loud parties after the 'quiet hour' your complex has, boom music, fighting like cats and dogs, playing dance party USA until 0300...those are nuisance noises.

You can't call the police or file a complaint with your landlord because you can hear your neighbor flush their toilet or run their shower. The landlord can't do anything about that 'noise'. Nor can they do anything about hearing doors open and shut, chairs scraping across the floor. The noises are due to the construction of the building and not your neighbor being a jackass.

You're very lucky your landlord responded to your 'noise complaint' about your neighbor. I think the only they responded is because so many people complained...Id be curious as to what he's going up there myself. As for the thumping bass girl, have you spoke with her or your landlord? That is nuisance noise and they should respond to that complaint

I got lambasted for saying this, but it's true. You, (not you personally, a generic you) can't move into a multi level, multi family living situation and expect total silence. It's not going to happen. Once you get that thru your head, you should be good. Some noise is expected...daily living. Some noise is not....nuisance noise.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:54 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
And I think that what people are trying to say in these types of posts, and have said many times, is that what they are experiencing is not normal daily living noises. It is extreme noise and disruption from neighbors above and beyond 'normal' daily living noises. No one has ever said that they expect 'complete silence'. Not even close. As a matter of fact many have expressed that they totally understand and except regular day-to-day living noises.

And, they are well aware that these types of noises do not always warrant a call to the police nor can they always call the police with this type of noise. Hence the reason they come here, instead of calling the police because they are well aware that the police can do nothing in most cases, and they want to find out if anyone has solutions, suggestions, advice and/or ideas to assist in these types of situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting