Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 10:52 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times

Advertisements

The worst part though is that both daily living noise and nuisance noise cannot be stopped. The landlord wont, you (the tenant) cant, and the police wont either. Its the buildings poor construction and the neighbors lack of consideration. You just have to put up with it. Thats the worst part.

Bose noise canceling headphones have been a life saver for me. I suggest them to anyone here also suffering from idiotic neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 11:31 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Nuisance noise is that noise that's defined in your lease, community rules or local noise ordnance. That means, loud parties after the 'quiet hour' your complex has, boom music, fighting like cats and dogs, playing dance party USA until 0300...those are nuisance noises.

You can't call the police or file a complaint with your landlord because you can hear your neighbor flush their toilet or run their shower. The landlord can't do anything about that 'noise'. Nor can they do anything about hearing doors open and shut, chairs scraping across the floor. The noises are due to the construction of the building and not your neighbor being a jackass.

You're very lucky your landlord responded to your 'noise complaint' about your neighbor. I think the only they responded is because so many people complained...Id be curious as to what he's going up there myself. As for the thumping bass girl, have you spoke with her or your landlord? That is nuisance noise and they should respond to that complaint

I got lambasted for saying this, but it's true. You, (not you personally, a generic you) can't move into a multi level, multi family living situation and expect total silence. It's not going to happen. Once you get that thru your head, you should be good. Some noise is expected...daily living. Some noise is not....nuisance noise.
Okay, Kim ..I know you are informed, so I will ask you. But first let me clarify. I have a couple above me I have had to cope with, I will address later. The "eviction guy" is up and over the one next-door. I don't hear him, but the girl living under him (who was unpleasant when I asked her if she could turn her music down) is the one complaining about him. I don't know what she hears, but she is the 3rd of those who complained about him. It's weird, someone else had said that he would "drag his mattress across the floor...putting it away and taking out". I don't get it, because apparently, he has no furniture and he could have plenty of room to leave a bed out.. I don't know how one lives that way.. and he IS an oddball. His is a single unit and they are VERY large and have seen others set them up extremely well and beautifully. (I am getting an education regarding odd personalities, in my later years).

I have said this - having been in this unit for almost 18 years, there have been only three neighbors out of twelve here who have been strangely disturbing - the others have apparently been very respectful and considerate, in the same unit. I would barely hear them, though aware they were home. I am not concerned about regular living sounds..normal stuff.. it is the unusual and excessive that is so bothersome, which is what others address, too. That is why I say, it comes down to the tenant. The noise I deal with is definitely odd and hasn't been witnessed by management. (I have lived in apartments since the '70's and honestly never used to deal with this...and nobody has complained about me, either). The first "bad neighbor" experience was elsewhere in 1994, when a man was raging and abusing his wife and daughter. I moved.

So, I don't know why, but this man upstairs spends ALL of his time in this one area - dining, and I think he is assembling items, using tools. It can sound like bowling balls dropping and rolling, bangs, thuds..clunking, slammimg, screeching. It is not just random, but daily, whenever he's home and awake. Again, since the flooring in recent years was changed to linoleum, it makes it worse. This spot is also 11 feet from where my bed is located, in the bedroom. Now, this to me is NOT "normal, living sounds". If someone doing this lived downstairs, nobody would be hearing them.

The wife too - she is hyperactive. I have spoken to her twice, once last year and once more recently, as we were passing. (After the first time, finding there was no change and clearly disrespect, I let the manager address it). Both times she has acted very innocent and open and I see why the manager just believes her. I had asked about placing felt pads under the chair legs, which she said "they did", (but I wonder why there is still screeching? I think she likely meant they used plastic sliders, which on linoleum would make a screeching sound, and better for carpet). She said she had thought of putting a rug down on that area, but that was two weeks ago... no change yet. The wife also brought up the pat excuse of it being due to "the building", yet others were not bothersome. Yesterday, I listened to this usual Sh__ for about 5 hours, before it stopped. There will be more today. I have been sleep deprived and have gotten into a weird schedule. It has hit me, that in recent years, I am now dealing with younger tenants with a different mentality.. kind of a "who cares", I'll do whatever I want" attitude. I feel this is just foreign to me. There was only one other guy who was so obnoxious, causing repeated crashes and THUDS, for whatever reason, daily, in fact, I almost feel like he never left. By the way, that guy was the only one out of twelve, who always slammed that front door. Nobody needs to do that. It is due to personality and some are being jackasses. So, how is one supposed to handle all of this?

Yes, the manager is responsive, she's good, but here's the thing: When she speaks to the wife upstairs (a youngish Hispanic couple), the tenant says "we're just doing normal things" (In their minds, apparently). So, the manager accepts that (and it is unlike the case nextdoor, where there have been three tenants having witnessed the same crap in the unit above them, creating credibility. And no, I had not mentioned "Base Girl", due to having already discussed my upstairs neighbors. I thought if I saw the Manager outside when this is occurs, I would have her listen to the base sounds. (I think it's funny how the girl complains about HER upstairs neighbor, but won't turn her music down).

The thing is, those venting are just expressing frustraton, because it feels there is no escape. Part of it is that I have felt content here and now having to focus upon other possibilities, though require a Low-income, possibly Senior place (and detest those "high rise", amenities buildings). There are prerequisites besides and it feels monumental. It is difficult finding those having a wait-list available, which I have checked into over the years. (It's not like in the past when I would freely look at apartments). There are limited listings having a few allowable low-income units per building, having researched online - some being newer buildings with lovely photos, very inviting... yet I've read horrible reviews, due to how they're run and what some tenants do. It sounded so crazy. It made this place seem like heaven. We don't experience the problems described in other properties. (You can move, and end up with the same or worse conditions and at this stage in my life, I don't know how much I can handle). Of course, If I actually had an option, I would want a quiet one-story place, like a duplex with a good neighbor next door.

Okay, I spent a lot of time on this and didn't mean to - but I am somewhat stressed - please bear with me.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:36 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
If y'all don't like sharing walls (and floors and ceilings), then you should rent or buy a single family home.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:40 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
If y'all don't like sharing walls (and floors and ceilings), then you should rent or buy a single family home.
That is not what people are asking here. And if that were an option then most would be doing that already.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:06 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
That is not what people are asking here. And if that were an option then most would be doing that already.
Yeah..never thought of that. Let's see... where did I put that magic wand? (Similar to when something expensive breaks and another asks "Why don't you get a new one?")

Old 06-15-2015, 03:22 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
It's an ignorant complaint. If you live in an apartment, then obviously you are going to hear other people around you. It is an option if people want it to be...either look for single-family rentals (which I did after my first apartment, since I hated it) or buy your own place.

Apartments have some benefits...like not worrying about lawn maintenance...but you can't really complain about someone walking (aka stomping) through their apartment.

My mom, for example, is a tiny thing at 5' and 105-110 pounds, but she walks with her heels and "stomps." It's annoying, yes, but I've tried my whole life to tell her that she's loud when she walks. She hasn't listened to me yet. I'd imagine she'd be a pain in an apartment, although she's never lived in one...

Combine that with normal life noise...when I lived in my apartment, I was friendly with my neighbors, and I was at my next door neighbor's place one day and could hear every word spoken on my TV from his apartment...and in my opinion, my TV was not loud at all...

I could always hear my neighbors' TVs, music....and them having sex....

Some apartment complexes are better-built, but you can only expect so much peace and quiet when you share walls...

Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
It's an ignorant complaint.
Please.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
hearing people walk and hearing people open and shut their doors is daily living noise. Daily living noise has nothing to with the 'right to peaceful enjoyment'.

I'll say it again: Daily living noise is NOT nuisance noise. They are two totally different things.
And I'll say it again, we are NOT talking about "daily living noise" - we are talking about noise that is far above and beyond that. People purposely stomping around and dropping things by your definition would be daily living noise, but it is taken to the extreme.

Quote:
It's an ignorant complaint. If you live in an apartment, then obviously you are going to hear other people around you. It is an option if people want it to be...either look for single-family rentals (which I did after my first apartment, since I hated it) or buy your own place.
And your post is ignorant.

We have stressed MANY times that we are aware we will have to deal with noise. None of us expects total silence. The excessive noise is the problem and the cause of it is not something that couldn't be solved by having simple consideration. Many of these situations involve people who are purposely making noise out of spite and then lying about it when they are confronted. Nobody should have to deal with that.

In regards to buying a house... yeah, if it was that easy, everyone would do it. However, even houses have issues. You don't share walls, but unless you buy something with a bunch of land around it, you are still exposed to the inconsideration (loud vehicles, barking dogs, etc etc). So buying a house is NOT the be all, end all solution.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:08 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
And I'll say it again, we are NOT talking about "daily living noise" - we are talking about noise that is far above and beyond that. People purposely stomping around and dropping things by your definition would be daily living noise, but it is taken to the extreme.

And your post is ignorant.

We have stressed MANY times that we are aware we will have to deal with noise. None of us expects total silence. The excessive noise is the problem and the cause of it is not something that couldn't be solved by having simple consideration. Many of these situations involve people who are purposely making noise out of spite and then lying about it when they are confronted. Nobody should have to deal with that.

In regards to buying a house... yeah, if it was that easy, everyone would do it. However, even houses have issues. You don't share walls, but unless you buy something with a bunch of land around it, you are still exposed to the inconsideration (loud vehicles, barking dogs, etc etc). So buying a house is NOT the be all, end all solution.
This is true, but I can deal SO much better with hearing a car, or a dog barking...but hearing someone's feet constantly stomp above me drives me NUTS. Outside noises don't seem to phase me. I don't know how anyone can block stomping out, it goes right through me. I guess it's just a pet peeve.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:17 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
This is true, but I can deal SO much better with hearing a car, or a dog barking...but hearing someone's feet constantly stomp above me drives me NUTS. Outside noises don't seem to phase me. I don't know how anyone can block stomping out, it goes right through me. I guess it's just a pet peeve.
Totally agree. I can block out traffic noise and the sirens that go by often here dont bother me. However, the loud footsteps above make me bonkers.

I dont even mind noises from people beside me. Its just the walking above that is so bothersome. This is my first time with upstairs neighbors. When I move out upon graduation it will (hopefully) be my last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting