Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,689 times

Advertisements

Glad to read this thread and know I'm not alone. As a long time city dweller with a penchant for renting in old warehouse buildings, I know all too well how thin walls and floors can make your life a living hell. You really get a glimpse into how people live behind closed doors - and it's often bizarre.

Like my one-time next door neighbor who would get up to a raging loud alarm at 6am every weekday, and then proceed to do what I can only guess was run in small circles (~300sq ft bedroom) while panting loudly for 5 minute bouts at a time, interrupted only by the alarm going off again. Some weird morning workout? Whatever it was, it would vibrate my entire apartment.

Or my current upstairs neighbor, who cannot help himself from stomping like a Clydesdale at all hours of the night. Even after talking to him multiple times, and raising a complaint with the building management, he's still happy to come barreling down his stairs at 2am on a weeknight and sprint\stomping across the entire unit, which produces a deep thud that you can FEEL. What would possess a grown man to do this? What makes people stomp around their private homes for hours on end anyway? Think about how long you find yourself continuously walking in your apartment - you generally end up seated somewhere most of the time (unless you're cleaning or something). But stomping around for hours on end, 5-7 days a week?

People are strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 03:32 AM

48 posts, read 40,246 times
As said in another topic I do I have this problem with my above neighbour along with banging walls and what sounds like flying leaps across the room and drop kicking walls and floor. Other is music on very loud which you can here in carpark on ground floor and hes on top floor along with Saturday night parties and running up and down stairs. There are only 16 apartments in building but hes at the back where I am and you can here music at the front out side. Latest was last night as it was so quiet until 21:00 when he came back and started stomping, banging and making very loud stupid noises.

When I first moved in back in September he kept me up first night I was in until 3AM with same noise I lived with it for a couple of weeks until I had enough and went up to ask him to keep it down. He looked puzzled and denied it was him he slammed door in my face and called my names and swore at me.

A lot of times I can sleep back at my parents which I do regularly especially weekends when I no he is having a party. Any way on Sunday mornings when I no ive had 8 hour or more sleep I come back at about 9am and start vacuuming up and turn music on loudish knowing he will have a hang over. Ive heard him been sick on a weekend a couple of times. When he bangs and stomps ive started chucking stuff up at roof.

Also im not the first to say something to him and he also had an argument with some one on my floor and next door has left because of it. Hes back with same girl who broke him with twice who's just has bad as him with noise.

So some times saying something to people even asking nicely like I did can make it worse and make you do things back what you wouldn't do normally.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper847 View Post
.......... Other is music on very loud which you can here in carpark on ground floor and hes on top floor along with Saturday night parties and running up and down stairs. ........

I suggest that you get together with all the other tenants and form a pact that everybody calls the police and files a noise complaint every time there are loud parties or really loud music. If you are the only one complaining, the police might dismiss you as the neighborhood crank.

The landlord can not evict just because one other tenant complains about noise. The landlord needs police reports in order to evict for noise, so if you want party boy out, you will need to provide police reports, and there had better be complaints from more than one person, so party boy can't claim that it is just a vendetta from one crabby person.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suggest that you get together with all the other tenants and form a pact that everybody calls the police and files a noise complaint every time there are loud parties or really loud music. If you are the only one complaining, the police might dismiss you as the neighborhood crank.

The landlord can not evict just because one other tenant complains about noise. The landlord needs police reports in order to evict for noise, so if you want party boy out, you will need to provide police reports, and there had better be complaints from more than one person, so party boy can't claim that it is just a vendetta from one crabby person.
Its mainly the stomping, bangs and closing cupboards so hard along with chucking stuff on floor. He can have the music on loud if it every other weekend and have a party im not out to tell people what to do just stop the bangs. I here below me shouting and this dont even bother and when he talks loud that doesnt bother as said it just the bangs and this can happen at 3am in morning for an hour and half. He would go to French windows and open them and close them as hard as he can. Its 18:50 here now (UK) and hes getting ready to go out but again stomping, banging and will come back at 12:30 midnight and do same if not worse as he drunk.

It come to point where on Sunday morning I vac up at 9am knowing he is hung over and vac bed room first just to try and annoy back and yes I am abit loud doing it too.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:16 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper847 View Post
Its mainly the stomping, bangs and closing cupboards so hard along with chucking stuff on floor. He can have the music on loud if it every other weekend and have a party im not out to tell people what to do just stop the bangs. I here below me shouting and this dont even bother and when he talks loud that doesnt bother as said it just the bangs and this can happen at 3am in morning for an hour and half. He would go to French windows and open them and close them as hard as he can. Its 18:50 here now (UK) and hes getting ready to go out but again stomping, banging and will come back at 12:30 midnight and do same if not worse as he drunk.

It come to point where on Sunday morning I vac up at 9am knowing he is hung over and vac bed room first just to try and annoy back and yes I am abit loud doing it too.
I sympathize. There can always be those with worse stories. Again, this really has to do with some people's mental issues unfortunately, or these incidents would not occur.

As said, in this case, there should be others who could be affected and if not having had the police out during an after-hours party do so (call earlier), then mention the other ongoing racket. Keep a log of incidents and make recordings if possible, though I know how difficult it can be, possibly needing special equipment to pick up certain sounds, though being heard on ceiling and walls. Try to stress to management what is going on with any possible evidence.

It's ridiculous that this problem persists. I have said, if better rules / laws existed to cover what isn't included, it would end up benefitting more responsible tenants, owners, management and law enforcement. Over-the-top, excessive living noise not being included in the two categories of either "Daily living" or "Nuisance noise" should be addressed. Apparently, it is to be that any level of living sounds are to be accepted as "normal", when there are definitely inconsiderate tenants who make their presence felt, over others. Another problem is the assumption that the one offended may be too sensitive or overreacting and having it be overlooked, besides not having these instances witnessed.

It should be stressed to incoming tenants what is expected of them and what will actually happen if they do not follow rules, then there needs to be follow-thru so it is shown to be taken seriously, which would begin to demonstrate that joined housing is not to be taken lightly. But it appears it can all be overlooked, due to those handling housing, their costs and what is simplest for them.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:40 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Enforcement of "quiet hours" would be a huge help! I can deal with the stomping, dropping, etc during daytime hours. It's when the noise continues into the wee hours of the morning that irritates the heck out of me! And keeps me awake. I think one should expect quiet (and this doesn't include normal things like going to the bathroom, or getting a drink of water) between say 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. I know, the usual suspects will respond that people have non 9-5 jobs, etc. Not sure how this can be addressed.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:59 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
When it's really quiet, yell out that you can hear them masterbate. It'll **** with their heads and hopefully make them silent enough from the paranoia of having you listening in on them.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:20 PM

I no I haven't been on this forum long but I have finally flipped tonight. Its Sunday today and him above never came back last night but left the bath room light with the extractor on and also left the oven extractor fan on full all night long and now all day. He came back today at about 14:00 and banged so hard I jumped which I chucked up stuff at the roof. About 17:00 below came back screaming from one room to other and I finally lost it. I started banging cupboards, stomping my self which ive never done. Last 45 mins I started up fallout 4 from beginning and wacked it up full blast on surround sound and sub woofer which ive always had a very low and even got the bass level way down on a cabinet and not floor. I must have listened to a dozen songs from diamond city radio which is oldies music. At least I cleaned up sanctuary in that time.

Ive just turned it off and for last 10 mins not heard a word from below but think above gone back out again shortly after they came back.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
When it's really quiet, yell out that you can hear them masterbate. It'll **** with their heads and hopefully make them silent enough from the paranoia of having you listening in on them.
You might not believe me but the other night at about 21:00 I was locking up to go to my parents house and heard in the corridor what only sounded like heavy spanking and very loud orgasm at one point I thought she was singing opera at the climax. I wouldn't been able to hear in my apartment but people above and below would have and I think the walls next door to each other are more solid. Any way I not seen him since but would have said. Had a good night last night then did yu. hehe. Hes ok and talk to him regular.

Dont get me wrong its a very nice apartment and very nice area its just one or 2 what spoil it for rest.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
OH, I have actually heard that.. ..while I'm in bed, throwing covers over my head. You would think one would know that you can hear them.. I don't think they care. (I know, one could laugh or moan "OH..oh..yeah"...)

Just to mention, with one guy here YEARS ago, I had to hear loud sexual activity many times a week, with his GF regularly from 1:00 - 5:00 am. I would feel like I was just watching everything. Again, I could not be in my bedroom. Other neighbors would yell at them from out in the courtyard, so you can imagine how loud it was for me. (The manager at the time recorded it and he was asked to leave).

Another tenant would be up there in the evening on living room furniture that hit the wall, making my window rattle.

(But I don't include them in the same category of the ones we are discussing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting