Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 06:58 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times

Advertisements

Google "private nuisance lawsuit" and "quiet enjoyment."

But if you don't have money to move you probably don't have money for a lawyer.

Or, you can ring their doorbell at 3 AM every night and ask them how they like being disturbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:06 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
There’s hundreds of posts about this issue and all types of incidents and behavior has been discussed. First good luck. Second once you read the other posts at the end of everything it comes down to two things. Move out or deal with it. I wish you the best.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:21 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
As others have said, there's not much you can do. Unfortunately, in some buildings even simple walking causes noise. Our floors creak... there's no quiet walking here no matter how much you try. I get pissed off when my upstairs neighbor regularly drops things on the (wood) floor or drags heavy stuff across the floor, and I think there's little reason to wear hard-soled shoes inside and trip-trap around above someone else (I really feel for that troll in the Three Billy Goats Gruff story), but there's nothing I can do about it. If I talked to them, they'd just say they're just living their life (best case scenario) or try to annoy me on purpose (worst case). I could hope they move out, but my luck is that someone with a running-around kid or two would move in, or someone who wants to practice their tap-dancing.

Does your building require rugs on the floors? Do your neighbors have them? If not, why hasn't building management enforced it, since there have been complaints about them?

Old 08-12-2019, 11:32 PM

47 posts, read 41,054 times
You've put up with it for 2 years? I'm sorry to hear that, but at this rate the odds of the people changing are basically zero. Your best bet is they move out.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:33 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Move. When youre dealing with anxiety, you move. Some people dont care about anyone but themselves. Its just the way it is.

Get a pink noise generator and let it run around the clock, or use an Alexa with some speakers to do it. Beware the Alexa ones will loop every hour producing a gap. Here's a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/Adaptive-Soun...gateway&sr=8-5

get revenge. Get a couple of stereo speakers, put them on a bookshelf facing the ceiling, and fire up some pantera.

Last edited by sholomar; 08-13-2019 at 04:48 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
These posts always amuse me. Do you really think people above you "stomp" when they walk just to annoy you? People are living their lives. They would walk the same whether they are on the second or first floor. Its not them, its the building. Theres nothing they, or you, can do about that. Its obvious you will just have to move. And good luck finding another apartment where you dont also hear people upstairs.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Move. When youre dealing with anxiety, you move. Some people dont care about anyone but themselves. Its just the way it is.

Get a pink noise generator and let it run around the clock, or use an Alexa with some speakers to do it. Beware the Alexa ones will loop every hour producing a gap. Here's a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/Adaptive-Soun...gateway&sr=8-5

get revenge. Get a couple of stereo speakers, put them on a bookshelf facing the ceiling, and fire up some pantera.
Revenge? For what? Living their lives?

This is a good way of getting a notice to vacate or eviction since this type of noise is truly nuisance noise.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
You move as soon as you can and choose the top floor next time if you must rent another apartment.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:28 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You move as soon as you can and choose the top floor next time if you must rent another apartment.
Yes, I had a bad neighbor in the past and a leasing office that couldn't care less... I never ever had another unit under someone again. But be warned.. one time I got someone below me who was a jerk. He would put his friends out on the balcony at 2 AM on a work night. Or 2 am open all the windows and blast the tv.

I ended up getting rid of him by calling the cops when he had the windows open and tv blasting.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:12 PM

48 posts, read 40,288 times
Well Well Well things have worsened. Above had music on full again and could here it in room which also you can here on ground floor. so I banged on roof. This time he came down knocked on my door so I opened it and him saying that I was a little fing weasel and can have music on. If I was in bed room no way I could here what I was doing my self it that loud. As said my mum and dad only heard bangs and sound twice but said it was bad and its like that all time still. I said im not the first one or 2nd person to say something to you am I. He said I no.

I told my parents and they know what he like but now its me in the wrong for banging back but when its happening at the time and no one else has it that loud its soooo annoying. Like I say sometimes I can have my TV on in bed room when he in room and watch mine with out sound.

It all goes on size if I was bigger then him he wouldn't be talking like that. Last week as said too he was away for 5 nights and was perfect and no noise what so ever from below, next door.

Think it time to move out but such a nice place with out him here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting