Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 06:53 AM

234 posts, read 222,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What many are not accepting, is many sounds are amplified in other units, and are much louder in other units. This is due to poor construction of the apartment house.

Other tenants, have a right to have and live a normal life. If the building is poorly and cheaply built, so others are effected, there is not much they can do to keep from bothering their neighbors.

Some of you complain you hear a baby crying, hear them cleaning their carpet, washing clothes, hear their T.V. and demand they stop. You are the unreasonable one, not your neighbor. Your neighbor has a legal right to live a normal life, just as you do. It is not their fault, the building is so poorly built, sound is amplified and is louder in your apartment than in their unit.

If you want an apartment in a building that does not have a problem of sound traveling between units, you will have to pay a much higher rent.

I spent many years as an investment Broker, and I always sound transfer of a building, and would not buy any apartment house for my clients, that was poorly built and had sound transfer problems, and had to put up with tenants having sound transfer problems I could not solve.

Moving into a much quieter unit will cost more money. If you cannot afford a sound deadened apartment, you have to accept you will always have a sound problem. This is just a fact of life.

The old saying, you only get what you pay for, is very true in the world of rental apartments. If you rent a cheap apartment you have problems, such as hearing every thing your neighbor is doing. If you do not want to hear other peoples lives, you have to be able to pay the price for a quality apartment.

Have you ever been willing to invest in renovating some of the cheaper apartments. Not sure how expensive the renovation is to add soundproofing material in the walls of a pre-existing apartment complex. But there must be something that management can do besides just saying move to a new complex.

I guess you're just outta luck 99% of the time if your apartment complex has a sound issue. There is no fixing it huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 10:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,673,828 times
Soundproofing a poorly built building, will cost too much to be practical. It is cheaper to build a quality building, than to buy and bring an older poorly constructed building up to high quality standards.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:31 PM

Note: Only do this in a pet-friendly community so you can feign innocence lol.

For fun, just as a little revenge if you are truly evil, rig up a bluetooth speaker on a wall mount near the ceiling where two walls meet. And play this intermittently.

Clip the video at the 1:08 mark for one of the grouchiest of the barks lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELbi6E5skeo

Old 12-30-2019, 04:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,836,314 times
Old thread but bottom line is the " common" wall between units or the " common" attic".
How often we read about fires spteading thru the attic.
Blame city hall for allowing the construction.
I studied Architecture in College.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:11 PM

22,831 posts, read 18,112,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Did you put your money where your mouth is with an actual career designing and building multiple dwelling units?

Old 12-31-2019, 01:03 AM

Nope, not enough money then being paid but did start/owned 6 different businesses over a 36 yr time period.
One for 15 yrs...Grocery Inventory Service....three in the Auto industry for a combined time period of 19yrs.
I discovered from an early age that more money could be made as a business owner then working for a weekly pay check.
All this has nothing to do with drawing plans for housing or commercial enterprises. No money in detail or follow thru drawing. That's what I saw available having degree in hand.
City Hall approves all plans...blame them.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:30 PM

My latest toy arrived yesterday and so far is $200 well spent!

The bass on this bluetooth speaker is so good that I don't have to put it in a wall corner to get good bass. I got it for $199 off of Amazon.

Pretty powerful at stomping masking. Much better than the white noise machine. Just find your favorite brown noise, ambient sound track, thunderstorm, etc. and load it up on your phone!

You must have home WI-Fi enabled enabled to use the bluetooth speaker which most have if you are using Comcast for your internet service.

Thunderstorm track at 1:00 is very loud compared to the others. Just a volume warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PBPDO3Javk

Old 01-03-2020, 10:05 AM

3,679 posts, read 2,213,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Old thread but bottom line is the " common" wall between units or the " common" attic".
How often we read about fires spteading thru the attic.
Blame city hall for allowing the construction.
Don't forget the greedy developers and contractors. They are all complicit. Knowing architecture isn't going to solve the sound issue unless you are designing and building a new structure for the OP.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:00 AM

After school got married , bought a new Trac home and wanted a roof over patio. Drew my qs, went to city hall for okay and permit.
.Roof was to be attached to a existing structure.
Did my cement slab forms and inspector signed off. Poured prefix concrete (supplier)...was signed off.
Installed two 3" metal pipe poles in concrete base. Inspector came to see progress and commented on my choice as a min 1-1/2" was required.
He said that everyone should do same as my choice.
My idea was to always go one step higher over min requirements.

In school a classmate ended working for a city planning dept as a bldging inspector. He was content with having a soft job...to each his own.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:53 PM

Here is another good track in the description of my video for use with the Sony XB501G. Does really good with muffling upstairs stomping. The track is 2 hours long.

Ever since I got this bluetooth speaker I've felt like I've had some control within my own apartment for a change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5paBqYEI6I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting