Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times

Advertisements

I use ziplocs for my litter waste. I use up all the used ones that I have, but also keep a box of quart size from the 99 cent store in the bathroom. I go through one ziploc per day, and throw it out when it's full. I would never flush it down the toilet, it goes straight to the dumpster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 12:00 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Even the flushing kind can clog up old pipes or even new ones. My parents house had rather new plumbing and they had to snake flushable. (2cats) They can mess up hardwood floors and blinds. I had to train my cat not to eat the blinds. He loved to chew on the slats despite all his toys that was just up there near his face. Some cats are like dogs too and love to scratch/dig at floors,wall corners, carpet. The current cat would run up the wall until he got too old & fat to do it.

I would just tell her how much it costs to be snaked and tell her not to do it. Also warn her if she backs it up, toilet water will pour all over the bathroom and go everywhere and then you might have to rip out flooring. So just don't even think of doing it.

I would just ask for a deposit and if you have carpet in there, prepare to replace it just incase. If you can't, "nature's miracle" and bissel's pet stain formula are two good products to steam clean them with to remove pet smell.

Indoor pets get fleas so be aware of that and treat between tenant. Zodiac foggers kill all. (even roaches) You can pick those up cheaply at PETCO or something like that.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
Indoor cats rarely if ever get fleas, outdoors its a diffrent story. As far as litter goes dumping it down the toliet is INSANE! I too use ziploch bags that go into the garbage.

Say in the lease the cats MUST

Have clumping litter that to be thrown in the garbage

Have a suitable scratching post, rough tall and sterdy and that tentants keep their cats nails trimmed.

MUST be spayed or neutered pioer to coming in

must be indoor only and up to date on shots

Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
There is no need to require clumping litter specifically. Some people do not want to use clumping litter because of health concerns, some want to use an environmentally friendly litter like the kind made from newspaper or pine dust. Cats are as finicky about their litter as their food, some will only use one type. My cats are reliable litter box users but won't touch any litter but the old school clay gravel stuff. You just scoop it daily and replace it all as needed, and of course you don't flush it.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:25 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I have two cats, I'm a renter, and I couldn't imagine ever putting clumps of litter in the toilet! It all gets scooped up, put in a bag, and deposited in the trash. How difficult is that?

I can certainly understand why a landlord wouldn't be willing to rent to people with pets. There are a lot of irresponsible pet owners, unfortunately.
Amen Sandy.

I was stunned when I read the first post. I could not imagine flushing cat litter either. Like Sandy said, it's bagged up and thrown away. I'm also a renter and have always had a cat.

It really is a shame that there are renters who think that because they don't own something they can treat it carelessly. I just don't get that.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 PM

Indoor cats CAN AND DO get fleas! They come in on your shoes. Where I live, the fleas are so bad, that everyone with cats had to treat their carpets. I treated my carpet with Sevin5 dust, and my cat had Advantage put on him every month. Where I live, the only time there's grass is in the winter when it rains, and we don't have them then.

But summer is hell! I had to treat my carpets twice, and that took care of the problem, plus vacuuming every other day. I can't afford to replace a vacuum cleaner bag every time I vacuum, so I bought a flea collar, cut off a little piece and put it into the bag. I also vacuumed up some Sevin5 dust. This method killed any flea that got vacuumed up.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We have a tenant who wants an indoor only cat and is willing to pay a no refundable pet deposit but i'm concerned about the damage clumping litter will cause to pipes. We have septic tank in our own home and never flush litter down the toilet so i'm not familiar with plumbing problems this practice might cause.
Anybody have experience with this?
I do not have experience with flushing clumping litter although I use it for my cats. I wouldn't flush it and if you allow the indoor cat maybe you can tell them they must bag it and toss in the trash.

If you allow the cat and there is no damage would you give back the deposit? If it is indoor only it shouldn't have fleas and not all cats spray or go to the bathroom outside the box. I certainly would ask for an extra deposit (and I have always been willing to pay one) but with no damage would you feel comfortable keeping it?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Flushing litter of any kind is ridiculous. Bag it and throw it away.
Not allowing pets in rentals is heartless. Cats and dogs need homes just like people do. Allowing some human to say that these pets cannot live somewhere is criminal. I could really do without people like that in the world. The "smoking" I can agree with (and I smoke)...the cigarettes don't need a home
I agree! My husband is a carpet cleaner and is in homes all the time. He find the most repulsive carpets in homes with children not pets.

My landlord would never know I had pets unless I told her (which I did). I keep the place very clean and have had people with major cat allergies come to my home and they didn't know I had cats. I do clean their boxes twice a day and vacuum quite a bit but since they sleep all the time, they just looked like stuffed animals placed around my house.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
cat fleas will not use a human for a host unless they are starving... its common sense.

furthermore the treatments used to kill fleas can kill cats/dogs as well... Hartz is a great example NEVER buy over the counter flea meds for your pets. *

To adult cats fleas are hardly as damngerous as Hartz... to kittens and sick cats different story.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM

I was never bitten by any fleas, but they were jumping all over the place. Sevin5 dust is highly recommended, and can also be used on animals. My ex-boyfriend used it on his dog. I prefer Advantage, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting