Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

You don't even have to be "sure" before calling INS. It is no different than seeing something lurking around your neighbors home. It's not your job to make sure it's not their nephew who forgot his key, call the police and let them do their job. Same thing in this situation. Call INS and let them do their job. If they are not illegal, INS will quickly sort that out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Maybe the quickest way to get them out is to start a rumor INS is going to do an investigation of the tenants.

Most likely, if they are illegals , they will flee.
If they are legals they will stay.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Call USCIS and report them. If your wrong nothing will happen to them if they are illegal they probably will be gone sooner than later...maybe going over there and telling them you are planning to report them if they are illegal, might scare them enough to move out overnight....

Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 43,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Without a legal right to be in the US, there would be no need to go thru the eviction process.

You could put them out, they wont be taking you to court, but there may be ramifications you don't want,
move on and rent elsewhere and remain in the country.

How long it takes the INS to act, is something I have no familiarity, but who I'd contact.

How did you come across this info, Do they pay rent in cash?
---------------------------------------
I asked them any proof of id to verify the previous owners lease. They told me they do not have papers. there are 3 adults and not one has legal papers.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Do you own the apartment, or do you just live there. In the latter case, it's none of your business.

I own the apartment. I possible i dont want them there and want them to leave peacefully. they are too many violations they cause..

Old 01-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
To quote Guns n roses and the Beetles "Live and Let diee...." I mean, really. You should be happy because you're in a rent-controlled apartment. So, because you THINK that someone is an illegal immigrant, you want to call the cops on them? What if you're wrong? That's not nice. If you think they're exceeding the occupancy limit for the apartment, you can call the housing enforcement department or something, but the COPS? geez.
I am the owner of the apartment. they told me they do not have any papers to verify the lease.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You have a business agreement with them, and your rights only cover that agreement. You have no right to evict on the basis of other matters beyond the scope of the contract, such as criminal background or citizenship status. The same would be true if you found out one of your tenants had been arrested--so long as it didn't occur on premises or involve residents, it is a private matter and none of your business. And tenants are allowed to have guests, legal residents or otherwise.

You could call USCIS but they cannot initiate an investigation of someone based on a nosy LL's suspicions. Because our constitution protects the rights of privacy, they have to have some kind of concrete evidence to investigate a private individual.
I am the owner of the apartment and i tried the verify the lease and they told me they do not have any papers and are illegal immigrants. Your emotions aside i would like to know if i can legally evict them or ask them to leave.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zraovez View Post
I bought a rent stabilized apartment and came to know that the tenants in one apartment are all illegal immigrants and have guests who i believe are illegal immigrants. Is there any way to evict this tenant.
Are you saying you bought a building? Or just an apartment in the building??

If you own the building and don't want them there, simply call INS/ICE and report them. You better know for a fact that they're illegal, though, and it's not just a guess on your part.

If you only own your apartment, you would have no way to evict the tenant since you don't own the apartment they're in but you can still call INS/ICE and report them (ONLY if you know for a fact that they're illegal)

Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zraovez View Post
I am the owner of the apartment and i tried the verify the lease and they told me they do not have any papers and are illegal immigrants. Your emotions aside i would like to know if i can legally evict them or ask them to leave.
I get it. I would try:
Telling tenants you are planning to renovate the apt. Then give them proper notice to leave (or notice of NON-renewal of the lease) in a polite letter. If the lease is for a few more months, you can wait until then, right? Then you can paint or something so you weren't really "lying."

In the meantime, continue to be as kindly as possible.

I know you just bought the place so you may not have much money, but maybe you can spend 1K to get rid of them properly with the right legal protection for yourself. If your issue is the "rent control" rules, then better contact a lawyer, it may be hard to find someone on CD who has practical experience breaking a lease with these conventions.

I suspect you may want them out so you can raise the rent and get more income as well... No harm in that. I think rent-control sucks, and to my knowledge,some of the tenants illegally sublet the apartments to get the "market" rate anyway. Best of luck. In NY the tenants are not going to give up easily on cheap rent, so having a lawyer can help.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Are you saying you bought a building? Or just an apartment in the building??

If you own the building and don't want them there, simply call INS/ICE and report them. You better know for a fact that they're illegal, though, and it's not just a guess on your part.

If you only own your apartment, you would have no way to evict the tenant since you don't own the apartment they're in but you can still call INS/ICE and report them (ONLY if you know for a fact that they're illegal)

How do you --buy--an apartment in an apartment house ?

I have never seen a sign stating--------" apartment for sale "--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting