Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times

Advertisements

The OP is in NJ, no rent control that I'm aware. Some apartment buildings in the NY Metro area have specific apartments that were/are sold/owned with the apt building and some apts staying with the owner and others turned into full co-ops - units are still called apts even though privately owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
The OP is in NJ, no rent control that I'm aware. Some apartment buildings in the NY Metro area have specific apartments that were/are sold/owned with the apt building and some apts staying with the owner and others turned into full co-ops - units are still called apts even though privately owned.
There is rent control in NJ. The rules are a little different, but once you rent a place, the ent can only go up with the inflation rate each year in most cases.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 43,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Are you saying you bought a building? Or just an apartment in the building??

If you own the building and don't want them there, simply call INS/ICE and report them. You better know for a fact that they're illegal, though, and it's not just a guess on your part.

If you only own your apartment, you would have no way to evict the tenant since you don't own the apartment they're in but you can still call INS/ICE and report them (ONLY if you know for a fact that they're illegal)
I know for the fact that they are illegal. They gave me a green card copy and later they told me it is fraud paper.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 43,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
How do you --buy--an apartment in an apartment house ?

I have never seen a sign stating--------" apartment for sale "--
Its an apartment building and i have a tenant in one apartment that do not have any papers and when i asked they gave me a fraud green card paper which they later agreed its fraud. I am trying to see if there is anything i can do to evict them peacefully and practically

Old 01-22-2010, 01:14 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Like the other poster said give them 30 day notice for "remodeling" and boot them out.
You can buy an apartment in an apartment building but it would be a condominium by legal definition.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Rent control and (il)legal immigration status aside, do these tenants have a lease agreement? If not then surely they're on a month to month basis and you can give them a month's notice.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times
Did you call INS yet or the cops and report the illegals? yanno thats your choices .. or tell them you heard a raid is planned and they gotta go .. sometimes they will run ..
good luck

Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,277 times
To the OP, note there has not been a government agency called 'INS' for almost 6 years, when the Department of Homeland Security took over from immigration matters from the Justice Department, the whole agency was changed to "US Citizenship and Immigration Services", this was announced as early as 2002 and finalized by 2004. We are already in 2010, if anyone actually knew about immigration matters they would at least be aware of that, so I would say that you can safely ignore any advice given by anyone refering to the 'INS'.

Your best bet is to talk to the ICE, "US Immigration and Customs Enforcement", since they are in charge of enforcement.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
The amount of racism in this thread is hilarious.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Even those that are well aware it is now the USCIS (after briefly being the BCIS or something) still tend to call it INS lol - so get off your high horse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting