Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

And to think that a few peole on this forum gave me a hard time because I vacuum eery day. My thought is that the description in the original post is about how they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
You are more worried about the tenet's privacy that protecting your property. If you don't inspect, you are gambling. Most Property Management business' do 30/90 day inspections, that is where I got the idea.
In the 15 years that I was a tenant, I NEVER had a landlord drop by for an inspection. My rent was mailed, and I would consider it an absolute invasion of my privacy to have someone wandering through the place that I am legally renting at will like some fuedal lord. I wold never, ever, ever rent from someone that was that nosey, and I can pretty well guarantee that my home is cleaner than any landlords out there.

Mitigating damage is what the security deposit and references are for. I'm an adult and don't need to be babysat--very rude and insulting!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:57 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In the 15 years that I was a tenant, I NEVER had a landlord drop by for an inspection. My rent was mailed, and I would consider it an absolute invasion of my privacy to have someone wandering through the place that I am legally renting at will like some fuedal lord. I wold never, ever, ever rent from someone that was that nosey, and I can pretty well guarantee that my home is cleaner than any landlords out there.

Mitigating damage is what the security deposit and references are for. I'm an adult and don't need to be babysat--very rude and insulting!
I agree with you although a LL can make a judgment call if the place seems good or not...

I'm a LL and have been a tenant and never had a LL come in while I was living there...I only inspected one of my homes ones due to suspection something illegal...and soon after they vanished...

Old 02-12-2010, 04:15 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I don't understand how a situation like this can happen. The tenet and I do a walk through with a check sheet before they move in. I inspect the property 30 days after they move in, and every 90 days thereafter.
If there is any sign of damage, I nip it in the bud immediately, and don't wait for them to move out before discovering they destroyed the place. If the place doesn't meet my standards, they are evicted immediately.
The day before the tenet moves out, I do a walk through with tenet and check sheet, so there are no surprises to anyone involved.
I wouldn't dream of letting someone live for years with no periodic inspection.
Bingo

Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

If you do so many checks on the property and then you need to have potential new tenants see the property, I wonder if a tenant has the rright to refuse to all this intrusion since they have the right to privacy.....JMO!
They have the right to rent some place else - which suits me just fine.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
I am sure that a LL who cares enough about his property to do inspections would not allow a dishwasher to be broken for 2 months, or a dryer to be broken for weeks. I am also sure that a LL who cares enough to do inspections would not leave me with mouse corpses to clean up on move-in. At this point, I'm happy to say, bring on the nosy landlords, they're a world better than the negligent ones!
Yes - it is a two way contract. I let tenants know upfront that I have expectations and demands. They also have clearly articulated rights and I meet their demands pronto.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Also door handles ; who in their right mind takes off door handles?
The same kinda folks that steal dishwashers and microwaves.....

The same kinda folks that destroy ALL of the doors.....

The same kinda folks that leave dirty diapers strewn all over the place......

Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Tenants with kids will remove door handles as a safety measure, the problem is they misplace or neglect to put them back on at moveout.

Quote:
Its also amazing how many batteries we have gone thru for smoke alarms. I know they are in the alarms when the tenant moves in ; they have to for the permits. But its amazing how many are gone when we go to the property ; just gone and never to be replaced. Also door handles ; who in their right mind takes off door handles?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Our first tenant left the house like she got it. Yes, she did get it riddled with fleas, did get it with the windows broken, did get it with cats urine all over the hardwood floors, did get it with holes in the walls, did get it with the dishwasher broken, did get it with the basement door broken ; window and all, did get it with the bathrooms rotten with dirt.

She was evicted because of the damage she was causing. then turned around and sued me for her deposit. Too bad I took photos of the house after she moved out, along with photos of workers itching themselves after walking thru the house. It was 2 months rent ; $2400.

Guess what ; she lost. And I then sued her father to recover at least $5000 more in damage(he cosigned the lease, real estate lawyer!!). We settled with her father for $3000 even though if it went to the judge, he would have probably given it all to me. But I felt bad for her father having such a deadbeat daughter.

I jsut dont get people.

I am a Landlord and I find what you did appalling. How dare you rent a home riddled with fleas, etc. and then sue the tenant for leaving it that same way. YOU are the disgusting one.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Why would you pay 500$ for unclog a drain you could of DIY with a 10$ snake?

I don't know WHY people do this. Even with the slumlords I had to deal with I DID leave it cleaner than when I got it. I did not have the money for the pro steam cleaner at this one place so I DIYed it and fogged (for fleas and anything else) and had the LL approve that before moving on. She was fine with it.

I just don't know how people are not embarassed....

Easy Off Oven cleaner is your friend...it does not take 5 hours or whatever. Its done in 30 minutes.

I don't like ever present landlords either. Places like that make me want to move on.
I kinda think its something you should be like though if you have a lot of student housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting