Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:55 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosamira View Post
Reading your post makes me feel like I am reading my post. My bedroom closet has mold growing all over it and with each rain fall it gets worst. I have all my clothes on the bed and am currently sleeping on the couch in the living room...it is like why am I even paying all this extra rent for a room I cannot use. My personal belongings did get destroyed since I was unaware of the problem :-(. I am also trying to figure out a legal way to break my lease and if my place is considered inhabitable. After reading your site I have called the health inspector so I will know if I can move out.

I have been doing lots of research with regards to our situation and it seems like yes you can move out with a 30 day notices since you have enough proof for lack of weatherproofing. In fact, if you have a lease and you are moving out earlier due to lack of maintenance they have to pay you moving expenses along with your deposit.

Good Luck
I decided just to move out because I don't have confidence that the problem will be fixed correctly and timely. It's been close to 3 weeks already and there is still nothing done except looking and talking. The carpet is still wet although that comes and goes depending on the time between rains. The inspector did come out the day after I called. He took pics and wrote it up. The landlord has 30 days to fix it. The landlord was mad and told me he had a big fine and bugged me to stay and I didn't give an answer, but I think I'll be out of there asap (about a week if I can). It's funny how someone who is acting like a slumlord thinks I am the bad guy. There are laws and procedures landlords are supposed to follow but it's not like you can actually make him fix it. Who knows if I'll have to go to court, but I'm not going to let him keep $1,500 or so. The judge could award me more than that. I do know he will look really bad in court so it would be stupid on his part. Are you in CA too? I may consult a lawyer early next week just to safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
Felix.. get pictures now and document everything .. that includes the name and the date of the inspector that came .. and that is there a file opened on this matter .. cover your arse now while you can because once you move out its to late ..

Old 02-26-2010, 07:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
See the above mold thread for what can happen witrh consistnet water leaking into a apartment or home.Dcoument it in case you have to break the lease is my suggestion.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 PM

I spoke to the ll today and we came to an agreement that I would stay a little longer for a reduced rent. So I am going to close off the bedroom and have a little more time to find another place. He wants me to stay for at least a few more months even after I called the inspector, but all I'll do is about another month, so he can have it fixed up for the next tenant. I think I will be fine in the livingroom healthwise, but I can't have my father staying here while he visits, given that he has leukemia so his immune system is low, so I want to be out by then.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 10,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I decided just to move out because I don't have confidence that the problem will be fixed correctly and timely. It's been close to 3 weeks already and there is still nothing done except looking and talking. The carpet is still wet although that comes and goes depending on the time between rains. The inspector did come out the day after I called. He took pics and wrote it up. The landlord has 30 days to fix it. The landlord was mad and told me he had a big fine and bugged me to stay and I didn't give an answer, but I think I'll be out of there asap (about a week if I can). It's funny how someone who is acting like a slumlord thinks I am the bad guy. There are laws and procedures landlords are supposed to follow but it's not like you can actually make him fix it. Who knows if I'll have to go to court, but I'm not going to let him keep $1,500 or so. The judge could award me more than that. I do know he will look really bad in court so it would be stupid on his part. Are you in CA too? I may consult a lawyer early next week just to safe.
Yes, I am in CA as well. It has been 3 to 4 weeks my problem has existed with nothing done but people looking and talking. The health inspector came last Friday and said the company will have two weeks to fix the problem. I am assuming if it is not fixed by then I can legally break the lease and move out. I am also searching for a lawyer to consult so if you find one can you please share his contact info with me? Thank you.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosamira View Post
Yes, I am in CA as well. It has been 3 to 4 weeks my problem has existed with nothing done but people looking and talking. The health inspector came last Friday and said the company will have two weeks to fix the problem. I am assuming if it is not fixed by then I can legally break the lease and move out. I am also searching for a lawyer to consult so if you find one can you please share his contact info with me? Thank you.

I haven't needed a lawyer yet. There are some non profit groups that you can consult with that have lawyers. You'd have to look for one in your area. Search on google for tenants rights in your city, although there is ca law, you'd want someone local.

Construction takes time, but they should have removed carpet and placed a dehumidifier in the room to dry it out and prevent mold growth. It just goes to show the nature of some people that they wouldn't do even the most simple and cheap things.

As of now, the problem is even worse. I closed off the bedroom, but the water went under the door to the hall, so I have to be careful not to step into it as I go to and from the bathroom.

What's annoying, is that the landlord looked at it for the third time (while doing nothing) and brought up again how the musky smell might be from the cats. I mean who would think that a 10+ sq feet of constantly wet carpet and soaked falling apart moldy drywall wouldn't be causing a musky smell. I can't work with unreasonalbe people. It's just too frustrating. This is why I wouldn't live here even if the problem is fixed correctly.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 10,275 times
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't needed a lawyer yet. There are some non profit groups that you can consult with that have lawyers. You'd have to look for one in your area. Search on google for tenants rights in your city, although there is ca law, you'd want someone local.

Construction takes time, but they should have removed carpet and placed a dehumidifier in the room to dry it out and prevent mold growth. It just goes to show the nature of some people that they wouldn't do even the most simple and cheap things.

As of now, the problem is even worse. I closed off the bedroom, but the water went under the door to the hall, so I have to be careful not to step into it as I go to and from the bathroom.

What's annoying, is that the landlord looked at it for the third time (while doing nothing) and brought up again how the musky smell might be from the cats. I mean who would think that a 10+ sq feet of constantly wet carpet and soaked falling apart moldy drywall wouldn't be causing a musky smell. I can't work with unreasonable people. It's just too frustrating. This is why I wouldn't live here even if the problem is fixed correctly.
I agree with you, they can help prevent mold growth with simple steps yet they are too cheap to fix the simple things. My building is managed by a maintenance company and they send individual contractors over to take a look at the problem. So far they all come by and said the same thing, wall needs to be broken down and an extra layer needs to be added to protect your items and health. However, there is no show of someone actually working on it.

Since I am dealing with a large maintenance company I want to make sure I have a lawyer to help me move out or fix this problem. Thanks for your help, I will do a google search and see on how I can get help.

Your landlord also seems very unreasonable trying to say your cats are the reason for the musky smell - I am hating the musky smell caused by mold and am spending more time at work to avoid the musky smell at home.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 PM

The contractor guy came a couple days ago to tear out the sheetrock and revealed a small trench of stangnant water along the wall. I came home in the evening and the slinding glass door was cracked open, blinds open and light on, which face the street. My city is one of the crime capitals of CA. People are idiots sometimes. Anyway, the sheetrock was tore off and for two days after it just sits like that. I had to soak up the stagnant water myself with rags an squeeze it into a bucket because I didn't want to leave the water there. The carpet has yet to be removed. In the doorway if I step on the carpet, water literally rises out of the carpet. It has spread even farther into the hall. I am regreting that I agreed to stay till the 31st instead of the 12th. I thought moving at the end of the month would be better. Anyway, I'm really itching to tear out the carpet and dump it in the driveway. It's been wet for a month. It's just nasty having to jump over the spot in the hall to get in the bathroom and there is high humidity which is swelling the bathroom door and putting condensation on the windows. With my luck the landlord would claim I ruined the carpet that he was going to save. I give it a 50/50 chance he is planning on leaving it in place to let it dry out then getting it steam cleaned. The landlord was trying to get me to stay till the end of May. At least I didn't agree to that.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:45 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
you took pictures befor you did any clean up I hope..

Old 03-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
you took pictures befor you did any clean up I hope..
yes, lots of pictures. It's really not cleaned up. I just soaked up some of the water to prevent more water going to the hall. The carpet is still wet, just not as wet. It's been wet for over a month now and still not removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting