Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:15 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times

Advertisements

No house can go from initial notification to full foreclosure (especially in Florida) in 3 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
No house can go from initial notification to full foreclosure (especially in Florida) in 3 months.
Exactly and on top of that the new law is stating that if a lease contract is in place the tenant can stay until the lease expires. That is probably why less and less properties are rented out that are in foreclosure after the tennats have left..

Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,005 times
We're in this situation. Our lease is due to end March 31st. We agreed to pay extra month to extend it to April 4th so we can move into our new lease. On Saturday we were served that the LL is in foreclosure, he hasn't paid since October. He never said a word.

We emailed him that we are concerned about our security deposit because he is in foreclosure and we wanted to substitute our security deposit for our March rent and then just pay for the few days in April. He said no, which makes me really suspicious because he is no worse off if he does that. He saw the house a week ago and he knows we have it in great shape.

I guess we'll have to pay the March rent and just pray he sends us our security deposit. I can bet you that if he is in foreclosure he is pretty much judgment proof so I don't know what good taking him to small claims court would do.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
I guess we'll have to pay the March rent and just pray he sends us our security deposit. I can bet you that if he is in foreclosure he is pretty much judgment proof so I don't know what good taking him to small claims court would do.

I think you have your answer right there.

If you can afford to "donate" the money and it will make you feel better...ethically or whatever, then do so.

Otherwise, welcome to the brave new economy.

(p.s. this is not legal advise. one should always consult an attorney in one's home state before making legal and real estate-related decisions...blah blah blah...but then you knew that....)

Last edited by plaidmom; 02-23-2010 at 08:08 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
We're in this situation. Our lease is due to end March 31st. We agreed to pay extra month to extend it to April 4th so we can move into our new lease. On Saturday we were served that the LL is in foreclosure, he hasn't paid since October. He never said a word.

We emailed him that we are concerned about our security deposit because he is in foreclosure and we wanted to substitute our security deposit for our March rent and then just pay for the few days in April. He said no, which makes me really suspicious because he is no worse off if he does that. He saw the house a week ago and he knows we have it in great shape.

Legally you have to pay till the end, but having said that the Ll is probably not going to spent $ 395 (court costs) for filling a small claims court case and telling a judge he doesn't pay his mortgage and denying you to make a deal with him to protect your money.

If you write a certified letter stating why you aren't paying it, although you know by law it is required, you have a strong case. You should also state that he never informed you about foreclosure papers being served on you and that you are now in emotional distress about the uncertainty of getting your money back and being served with something like this that disturbed your peaceful renting. Also mention that you have tried to settle this with him which he denied.

Make sure you make tons of pictures before moving out so he can't blame you for things you didn't do and I bet you he won't go to court. He has all the money in total and for him to spent more money to go to court...than additional money to get your served and he has to show up in court and face a judge and tell the judge that he stopped paying and denied you something you tried to settle between the both of you....isn't making him look any good in court....although basically he has the law on his side.

Only if the judge is awarding him a judgment which I doubt....he can then can try to get the money from you and report you at a credit company which cost him additional money which he probably doesn't has....so he has to pay over $ 400 to see if he can get money from you...

In other cases I'm totally against any tenant not paying last months rent and I go after them in court, but I have no mortgage and my tenants aren't getting served for foreclosure and being a slumlord and keeping money from tenants while not paying is in my opinion the lowest of the lowest...

Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 AM

I'm not advising to anything, just simply stating that usually deadbeat LL will not go after a deadbeat tenant!

It cost money to file a small claims lawsuit.

I'm against homeowners not paying their mortgage and I'm against tenants using security deposit as last month rent!

Having said that, when a LL is not disclosing the foreclosing being started and still renting out their place than they deserve whatever comes their way from a tenant who didn't do any due diligence which they have to but both deserve each other.

Smart tenants perform due diligence and/or go through a renowned property management company!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting