Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times

Advertisements

...and notified the landlord more than a month before doing it both verbally and in writing.
I repainted the back to the original color, vacuumed the whole place, cleaned all the appliances, sanitized the bathrooms. In total, the place was ready for the next tennant right there and then.

A week after I left, I was told the apartment got rented right away by my ex neighbor. Now I am trying to get back into the same complex and the landlord is charging me for breaking the lease and asking up front for one month's rent and a security deposit totalling 5K.

Is the landlord allowed to do this after being notified over 30 prior my departure and they finding a tennant almost inmediately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Go to another place and forget about it. Your already going to start off on the wrong foot.
No place is that spectacular that you need headaches.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Go to another place and forget about it. Your already going to start off on the wrong foot.
No place is that spectacular that you need headaches.
I tried and they already screwed up my renter's credit.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
...and notified the landlord more than a month before doing it both verbally and in writing.
I repainted the back to the original color, vacuumed the whole place, cleaned all the appliances, sanitized the bathrooms. In total, the place was ready for the next tennant right there and then.

A week after I left, I was told the apartment got rented right away by my ex neighbor. Now I am trying to get back into the same complex and the landlord is charging me for breaking the lease and asking up front for one month's rent and a security deposit totalling 5K.

Is the landlord allowed to do this after being notified over 30 prior my departure and they finding a tennant almost inmediately?
Regardless of your notice, you broke the lease and are subject to penalties as a result. You can try to talk and reason with him, especially if you were a good tenant. It's worth a try.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Regardless of your notice, you broke the lease and are subject to penalties as a result. You can try to talk and reason with him, especially if you were a good tenant. It's worth a try.

Otay!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post

Weird story..breaking the lease and then coming back a short period later...something is missing in between.....

I understand the LL isn't too trustful in getting you back and waiting until you change your mind and break the lease again, which can happen or maybe not...but the odds are against you.

If you got your desposit back the last time that shows you did everything the right way. If you didn't get it back that means you didn't pay last months rent and the LL knows you don't keep your part of the contract.

It is now his way or the highway.....not much you can do, other than pay the amount they want or ask it one more time...

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
What did your lease say about breaking the lease? In my lease, if I give 30 days notice and two months worth of rent, they call it even.

What strikes me as odd is that you bent on leaving and now you're bent on going back...what gives?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Weird story..breaking the lease and then coming back a short period later...something is missing in between.....

I understand the LL isn't too trustful in getting you back and waiting until you change your mind and break the lease again, which can happen or maybe not...but the odds are against you.

If you got your desposit back the last time that shows you did everything the right way. If you didn't get it back that means you didn't pay last months rent and the LL knows you don't keep your part of the contract.

It is now his way or the highway.....not much you can do, other than pay the amount they want or ask it one more time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
What did your lease say about breaking the lease? In my lease, if I give 30 days notice and two months worth of rent, they call it even.

What strikes me as odd is that you bent on leaving and now you're bent on going back...what gives?
I lived with my wife and kids there before, we moved back to California for X reason. I could not get a job once I got there, we had problems, separated and got a divorce. I came back to restart all over by myself again.

That is the missing in between bentlebee.
Is this odd to you know Kim in FL?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:39 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Quote:
You need to check your state's laws to be sure, but I think there are a couple things wrong with that. I don't beleive that the LL can charge you for the months when they have a new tenant, they can't collect double rent on the same unit. Your lease probably details some fees if you break the lease and you would owe that. As for a 5K deposit, I beleive there are rules about how large a deposit can be in ratio to the monthly rent and that sounds very large, but I don't know the exact rule or if it applies in your state.

You might have better luck with a landlord you haven't already broken a contract with.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
If the LL had some wording in the contract about breaking a lease like I have it could be allowed to rent it out and get some kind of double money....but which isn't used as double rent but to cover costs for preparing the rental for the new tenant.

In FL the law is staing you need to paint before a new tenant moves in. Due to the tenant breaking the lease the LL has to paint sooner than expected and that is what I charge as well as other costs as long as it is in the contract it is allowed since the tenant knows upfront what will be charged.

$ 5,000 doesn't sound unreasonable to me if the rent is close to $ 1500 a month....(first, last + a little higher sec. deposit for a person with a record of breaking the lease)...although it is a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting