Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

Have you had a sit-down to discuss why you are moving?

Sometimes, things that one person see a minor are not from the other's perspective.

A big Red Flag is no mention of a time certain for the Landlord to make good on any promises.

The unit must be habitable and it sounds like it is in better condition now than when you accepted it...

For future... any oral promises can be quickly jotted down on the Rental Agreement and at least dated and initialed.

Some of the homes I rent have detached garages... my leases specifically states if the garage is included or excluded and addresses access issues.

Generally, a tenant must put the Landlord on Notice and provide a reasonable period of time for the deficiency to be remedied...

Have you provided a written request addressing the issues which material affect your tenancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 19,210 times
Well update number one. Went to the post office. Found out from postmaster that him getting his mail and opening our mailbox and sorting through it to get to his mail is considered mail tampering and can be prosecuted by law. He told he " I have put in a change of adress" months ago. Was told by PO he lied.

I meet with an attorney at 11 am tomorrow.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 19,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Have you had a sit-down to discuss why you are moving?

Sometimes, things that one person see a minor are not from the other's perspective.

A big Red Flag is no mention of a time certain for the Landlord to make good on any promises.

The unit must be habitable and it sounds like it is in better condition now than when you accepted it...

For future... any oral promises can be quickly jotted down on the Rental Agreement and at least dated and initialed.

Some of the homes I rent have detached garages... my leases specifically states if the garage is included or excluded and addresses access issues.

Generally, a tenant must put the Landlord on Notice and provide a reasonable period of time for the deficiency to be remedied...

Have you provided a written request addressing the issues which material affect your tenancy
Wrote it up just this afternoon. Thanks for that suggestion.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,848 times
landlord gave me til Sept 8 to clear out my patio-has to be empty- also inside the 1 bdrm-take all 'junk' out. there is too much in there-however he said I cannot put ANYTHING on the completely empty patio while doing the cleaning. I can't clear out the inside if everything has to stay inside while I do it. He said I can temp. put things out there after dark & back in before dawn. The patio took 3 days, inside will take alot longer. He said the inspector was firm on 9/8 date. How much is true? This has all been done orally. This inspector is for property insurance renewal.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,848 times
I am not moving. I have lived there for 30 years & don't have a rental/lease agreement. the original landlord is deceased. This landlord is only the 3rd since property was built in approx the 1920's. I need about 30? days to clear inside. I live alone. I have rent control.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:14 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi uew View Post
landlord gave me til Sept 8 to clear out my patio-has to be empty- also inside the 1 bdrm-take all 'junk' out. there is too much in there-however he said I cannot put ANYTHING on the completely empty patio while doing the cleaning. I can't clear out the inside if everything has to stay inside while I do it. He said I can temp. put things out there after dark & back in before dawn. The patio took 3 days, inside will take alot longer. He said the inspector was firm on 9/8 date. How much is true? This has all been done orally. This inspector is for property insurance renewal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi uew View Post
I am not moving. I have lived there for 30 years & don't have a rental/lease agreement. the original landlord is deceased. This landlord is only the 3rd since property was built in approx the 1920's. I need about 30? days to clear inside. I live alone. I have rent control.
What does this have to do with the original post and why have you resurrected a dead thread to post this?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,619 times
hello, I am dealing with a situation where the landlord moved in a trailer into the backyard. it was not mentioned in the lease. Is this legal or not. same sort of thing. they took half of the yard when they did this. so I am paying the same amount of rent as I was before they put in the trailer. The city told them not to because they want to move their son I n They did it anyways. Did the landlord break the lease by doing this?

Emma

Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmapearline49 View Post
hello, I am dealing with a situation where the landlord moved in a trailer into the backyard. it was not mentioned in the lease. Is this legal or not. same sort of thing. they took half of the yard when they did this. so I am paying the same amount of rent as I was before they put in the trailer. The city told them not to because they want to move their son I n They did it anyways. Did the landlord break the lease by doing this?
Grab your lease. At the start of the lease, there is usually a beginning section identifying the parties to the lease as well as the property being leased. What is the exact wording of the statement addressing the location of the rental property? If it simply states an address without any limitations, you have sole custody of the property encompassing that address and your landlord has no rights to a claim for any piece of that property while your lease is valid. The exception is if the landlord specifically identified some piece of the property they will maintain control over.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmapearline49 View Post

Emma
Hi Emma,

What would you like to happen? Probably that the trailer goes away...

Are you willing to move over it, if it doesn't?

Are you willing to call the planning dept and get your landlord in hot water, so now he's hostile?

I don't see your LL moving the son away without things turning ugly for you. I think this because he had the cojones to put the trailer in your backyard in the first place.

So, I think you should ask him for a reduction in rent, or to let you out of your lease early.

If you're on a month to month notice, you can ask for a reduction in rent, or here's my 30 day notice.

If he says no way, then tell him he can sign a paper that states that your lease ended amicably, that your account is paid in full and that you were a great tenant, and let you leave - or you call the planning dept and sue him.

No matter what, I see you having to move, if you don't want to live with junior in your backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting