Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times

Advertisements

I rent a section 8 apartment and am supposed to be transferring to another unit in the same complex. I have been waiting to move for almost three weeks, but something always comes up with the management. I finally was able to view the apartment and saw there were various problems, but the manager assured me it would be fixed and I could move this week. Well finally the inspector arrived to inspect the unit, but the unit failed miserably, so now I am still waiting to have the issues corrected and to move. I am mad as the manager knew when the inspector was coming out, yet failed to fix the unit even minimumly to pass the inspection. I believe this was the second inspection. This same issue happened when I moved into this unit. The inspector had to come out twice. Also, in speaking with my housing counselor, she told me that the unit had been inspected weeks ago, but the office lied to me and told me he still had not come out to inspect the unit, so I would have to wait...again. She said the inspector found leaky pipes, etc, things which were in very bad condition. According to the manager, there is a list of things that has to be completed and they are working on it, but will not let me see what is on the list. I already know this place is pretty bad, but why would they try to pull one over on the HUD inspector. This apartment is also not cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:47 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
do you have to stay in that complex? .. and eventually the building will lose its certifaction and then what ? mebbe you should look at other complexs ..

Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 PM

I know. Unfortunately, I am on disability at this time, and cannot afford it. My credit is messed up also. I just wonder what is going on now, because I have not heard back from anyone today. Thank God for inspectors, because the other apartments here are just rented to regular tenants. There has been a lot of issues with this complex and the city for maintenance issues. It makes mad, as I think it is wrong to even try to rent a place to someone knowing the shape and then charging $1034 per month! No kidding. I only pay 200, but others pay more.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
HUD's practice is to schedule a move-in inspection with all parties present... the tenant actually takes the "Request for Lease Approval" along with the Condition Checklist to schedule the appointment Leased Housing and is given a date and time.

The purpose of the Checklist is to identify deficiencies prior to the initial inspection and to let would be Section 8 landlords know appicable HQS (Housing Quality Standards)

Both parties are given a copy of the inspection at the time the unit is inspected with any deficiencies noted if applicable... also the inspector may gather data as to rent reasonableness for the requested rent.

Either the management doesn't want the unit to pass or the building is in such bad shape that the inspector did you a favor...

Sounds odd the way it has played out...

Old 02-27-2010, 05:50 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Possible shortage in maintenance staff or a repair that needs an outside vendor. The property manager could have underestimated time necessary to prepare the unit. I'll compare it to triage in the ER or Drs office, it's prioritizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I rent a section 8 apartment and am supposed to be transferring to another unit in the same complex. I have been waiting to move for almost three weeks, but something always comes up with the management. I finally was able to view the apartment and saw there were various problems, but the manager assured me it would be fixed and I could move this week. Well finally the inspector arrived to inspect the unit, but the unit failed miserably, so now I am still waiting to have the issues corrected and to move. I am mad as the manager knew when the inspector was coming out, yet failed to fix the unit even minimumly to pass the inspection. I believe this was the second inspection. This same issue happened when I moved into this unit. The inspector had to come out twice. Also, in speaking with my housing counselor, she told me that the unit had been inspected weeks ago, but the office lied to me and told me he still had not come out to inspect the unit, so I would have to wait...again. She said the inspector found leaky pipes, etc, things which were in very bad condition. According to the manager, there is a list of things that has to be completed and they are working on it, but will not let me see what is on the list. I already know this place is pretty bad, but why would they try to pull one over on the HUD inspector. This apartment is also not cheap.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
I'm gonna side with Ultrarunner on this now .. It does sound like they would rather get rid of you as a tenant than to fix up a place for you .. ..

Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Actually they do not want to get rid of me as a tenant, as I am one of the few sec 8 tenants who always pays on time. The problem I discovered is that everyone in the office is new and are not up to par with sec 8, so they are taking training classes. The entire former office staff was fired thank God, but they left a lot of poorly maintained units and a lot of tenants are unhappy and have issues, so they are trying to solve these maintenance issues. It is just so frustrating as I realize they are new, but it does not take a rocket scientist to know that unit would not pass. They failed to tell me this and kept telling me to make sure I was ready to move on such and such a date, so that is why I am frustrated. I spoke with the housing counselor today and she assures me, knock on wood, that I will move this week. THank GOD!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,164 times
i am waiting for a transfer inspection. its been almost 4 weeks now.why is it taking so long. they say they are coming and never show up on that day. they don't even call to say they will not be there. we waited the whole day. what is going on.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Sounds like you need to call them back & ask!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
In my area... out of district transfers are taking about 3 times as long... the demand is that strong... it is called "Porting Out"

The reason is many new homes were built in the outlying areas and now investors have snapped up the many foreclosures and accepting Section 8 till the market improves and then selling.

I have lost two long term tenants... they were renting older 3 bedroom 1 bath homes from me in the $1400 range and they were able to rent 3 and 4 bedroom 2 and 3 bathroom homes with double garages, etc for the Section 8 limit of a little over $1900 and since their out of pocket remains the same, the rush is on...

Not to sure how stable for the long run... I've never asked a tenant to move due to a sale...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting