Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,274 times

Advertisements

I am renting an apartment in California and my lease expires in October. I have continuously complained about them fixing this problem (initially I thought it was plumbing causing mold/mildew) starting February 2nd when I left them a voice mail. On February 8th the plumber came and informed me the walls lack weather proofing and it is not plumbing issue. The plumber said this should be fixed immediately, and he would inform the management/landlord to have this fixed ASAP. During the next two weeks, I contacted them again via fax, voice mail and certified letter; there was no response from them. Today they did send over another individual contractor who said the same thing the plumber said three weeks ago, this needs to be fixed immediately and and that the walls lack weather proofing & he will inform management to fix it ASAP.

We called the health inspector who came on February 26th and informed me this place is uninhabitable. According to him the management company will have two weeks to fix the problem before the city takes over the repair and rent.

If I wanted to move out what is considered a reasonable amount of time I have to give to the maintenance/landlord? Does my initial voicemail or fax count or do I have to wait for 30 days after the health inspector leaves? Also, should I mail the landlord a 30 day notice now or wait for their response to the health inspector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,627,457 times
If the health inspector has declared it uninhabitable (and you have some paperwork to that effect) I doubt that the standard rules for notice apply. If I was in this situation I would personally want to talk to a local lawyer with experience in tenancy issues to be sure of my rights and obligations with the aim of moving out immediately since an uninhabitable dwelling is not safe to occupy. What procedures you must follow vary depending on your local and state laws. Make sure that you follow the law and document everything in case you wind up in court over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting