Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:28 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

Are we talking condo or house here...

"Owners of all vehicles must register to operate and park within the community and MUST provide the following information:"

And the information on their little form is NONE of their business if you are on your private property or a public street......

What gives them the right to say who can or cannot park on a PUBLIC street or in their own driveway if they refuse to give out private information?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 04:32 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Everything my HOA does is something I would do anyway and I knew all the rules when I bought my home so there is no issue. What things do they enforce that you would not do anyway
So if your HOA says you have to many cars (5) You, your spouse and your 3 teenage kids... and you need to get rid of 3 cars... You are OK with that???

Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
So if your HOA says you have to many cars (5) You, your spouse and your 3 teenage kids... and you need to get rid of 3 cars... You are OK with that???
I own a Town home in a community that has rules as well. You can have up to 3 cars if they fit in the garage and driveway...It has a one car garage and 2 average cars will fit behind each other. If a person uses the garage for other reasons, they have less parking space. The cars will block the sidewalk though, but the HOA allows that due to many people have 2 cars and many don't use the garage for cars.

The guest parking is only allowed for guests since there is limited places and otherwise every home owner will use them on a daily base, which happened before they changed the rules and start taken the brand, model and license plate from every one living in the community to keep it as fair as possible and limiting the misuse...which is to me very reasonable and if one doesn't like it they are free to move to a community where more parking is available...No one is holding a gun to their head when they signed the HOA documents and every one could and should know upfront and not complain about it...due diligence is the word that people should remember before they buy.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Tell them to pound sand. The most ridiculous one is proof of current auto insurance. Hey, why not a checking statement as well?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Tell them to pound sand. The most ridiculous one is proof of current auto insurance. Hey, why not a checking statement as well?
I can understand what you are saying, but the roads in a gated community are private and my guess is that the HOA doesn't want to be held liable...why isn't the police doing more...In Fl. people can drive away after getting a ticket for being uninsured...they should take their car and a ticket and no DL!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:29 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
In Fl. people can drive away after getting a ticket for being uninsured...they should take their car and a ticket and no DL!
If you are pulled over and you do not have your insurance card with you, they check your name in the system. Insurance companies in FL are required to report if your insurance has lapsed and in that case your license and registration is automatically suspended. If they check the database and find no mention of you, then yes, they write you a 'fix-it' ticket where you must appear and show your proof of insurance and pay a small fine. This is because plenty of people are in fact insured but for whatever reason are without the proof when they are pulled over. On the other hand, if your name is in the database because your insurance has lapsed (and therefore your license and vehicle registrations have been suspended) they will take the plate off the vehicle at the scene and you will have to tow it at your own expense or it will be impounded, and they will probably arrest you. There are large fines to get your license and registration reinstated.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

As for the question of whether the HOA has the power to require this, they probably can. The OP should consult a real estate attorney to see if there are any options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting