Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
He should keep write down what he makes. Then he should file Schedule C. Tell him that the instructions are all in the 1040 tax book. If he's making enough from these jobs that he can afford to rent his own place, he definitely should be paying taxes. Maybe he just has never thought of it before.

How would a LL know if a schedule C is real? Anyone can make these up. Would they want a bank statement to showing money coming in for a few months too? I'm just wonding what normally is asked for. I'm self employed and the last place didn't bother to ask for anything from me, just the check and sign the lease. I have that "you can trust me" look, but if I go to a big comples I will need to show more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 07:53 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
How would a LL know if a schedule C is real?
As a landlord I would have this same concern. I was just saying he should pay his taxes.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:07 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
How would a LL know if a schedule C is real? Anyone can make these up. Would they want a bank statement to showing money coming in for a few months too? I'm just wonding what normally is asked for. I'm self employed and the last place didn't bother to ask for anything from me, just the check and sign the lease. I have that "you can trust me" look, but if I go to a big comples I will need to show more.
You can make up a paystub much easier than a Schedule C. You can provide a fake phone number to an "employer" to verify the "fake" information. I mean this is why you check credit score; someone with a good credit score is much less likely to fake documents. This is also why a lot of landlords will check bank statements as well to make sure you still have money.

But at the end of they day if they don't pay you just evict them.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Thanks to whomever suggested the public records. The duplex was listed under the ex-husband's name and he lived in another state so when we asked the lady who had the property for rent she suddenly remembered that it was no longer available. It might not have been an issue but at least we avoided a possible disaster.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
can you rent from a privaate landlord if you have a eviction on your record and its as an unpaid balance

Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godschild2013 View Post
can you rent from a privaate landlord if you have a eviction on your record and its as an unpaid balance
There's no law against it. You can rent from anyone who'll rent to you. Some landlords don't do background checks so you might get lucky ...

Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godschild2013 View Post
It's completely up to the landlord. Most landlords will turn you down. Failure to pay rent is a big deal to landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting