Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,797,672 times

Advertisements

We live in N.C. and have had property managers for my 5 duplexes for many years. But circumstances have changed and now we need to take on this responsibility ourselves.

This forum has been very valuable for so many questions but what other sites or published material would fellow landlords - especially in N.C. suggest for us? I know we will have to get a business license, separate checking account and other things as I had my own retail business many years ago but I'm sure there are licenses and other legal issues we will have to deal with.

Who do you recommend for checking out prospective tenants? Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Wish us luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,982,821 times
Quote:
Who do you recommend for checking out prospective tenants? Any and all suggestions would be welcome
Try National Tenant Network. I've used them since the 1990s.

For business help, join you local apartment association so you'll have access to good leasing forms and updates on legal stuff.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,405,895 times
There is a book by Leigh Robinson called Landlording that provides prospective on being a Landlord... so far everyone I recommended it to has found it useful... especially new Landlords.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM

4,374 posts, read 8,053,771 times
I've read his Q&A book and it was a good read. I'll have to check out his Landlording book. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,982,821 times
Just an additional 2 cents:

If you don't have the right temperament and people skills, you won't be a good landlord no matter how many books you read. It's a tough business.

The most important ability to have is the ability to set and hold boundaries (enforce your lease to the letter) while maintaining a cordial, professional demeanor.

Next, penny pincher landlords unwilling to repair things have a hard time no matter what.

Lastly, you need a great vendor list. Your ability to make one phone call and know that an A/C or plumbing problem will be solved that day is imperative. No book can provide you with a great vendor list, you have to ask around and network with other investors and/or property managers.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 03-23-2010, 05:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,841,092 times
Treat it like a business relationship and nothing else. Always ask yourself, "would I treat my lawyer like this?" and "if a businessperson treated me like this, would I consider it professional?"

Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,759,880 times
Ok a book called 1 Minute to Rental Property Riches by Michael Rossi Google it so is that ok then

Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,131,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Just an additional 2 cents:

If you don't have the right temperament and people skills, you won't be a good landlord no matter how many books you read. It's a tough business.

The most important ability to have is the ability to set and hold boundaries (enforce your lease to the letter) while maintaining a cordial, professional demeanor.

Next, penny pincher landlords unwilling to repair things have a hard time no matter what.

Lastly, you need a great vendor list. Your ability to make one phone call and know that an A/C or plumbing problem will be solved that day is imperative. No book can provide you with a great vendor list, you have to ask around and network with other investors and/or property managers.

Good luck,

Steve
This is gold!

I think there are a lot of references on how to be a good landlord on everything between attracting and retaining tenants, getting maximum rent, and handling adverse situations. What I will add is know the local tenant laws. Fortunately it is likely to all be online. Do not go by someone's interpretation of the law. Learn it, understand it, and most importantly, comply 100% with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting