Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times

Advertisements

If you allowed them to move in you are required to give 30 days notice. Doesn't matter if you ever got paid or not. Next time hire a PM. /sure it costs, but not as much as this mess is costing in money and frustration. My renters are required to pay cash for first month rent, for just this reason. They don't get a key until the money is paid, the lease is returned signed, and they have proof all utilities are in their name. You tried to be a good guy with a renter. Never in history has that worked. I pay a PM 8% a month, and sit back and watch the checks arrive..! I sleep very well doing business that way. You can't be a LL from another state...!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 03:17 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times
Back in th 70s my father rented out a couple houses. When he had a problem with the tenant paying he would pay a big black guy $50 to go to the house and remind them that they were late. It worked every time.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:17 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
If the utilities are in your name, call and have them turned off. If the tenant has picked up the utilities, there is nothing you can do. Start the eviction process immediatly and get a property manager. It's a bad way to learn a lesson, and I am sure more than one LL on this board has made the mistake. But it's a mistake you only make once.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
We also are long distance landlords. We hired a property manager and the fees were added onto our expenses and that was the rental fee. We actually make $15 per month. But the property is well-managed, the tenant was interviewed, checked out, and our checks arrive on time each month. I wouldn't do it any other way. No middle of the night phone calls to us, no scrambling to find a plumber/electrician, etc. long distance. Just gave the keys to the PM and signed a contract. The rest has been easy.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,151 times
Definitely call the police asap!

I know someone who this happened to and they did not call the police until it was too late. By too late I mean that the people literally cleaned out the house....fixtures....appliances....lights...the whole nine yards. They even took the toilets!

Protect your interests and as everyone said - look in to getting a PM to look out for your best interests on your property.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting