Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,687 times

Advertisements

Without getting into details, I don't talk to my landlord anymore. Even to pick up rent, she sends her son to get it.

We can't find a copy of our lease and would like one. My only question is: LEGALLY, if we ask for one, does she have to provide it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Make written requests, for copy of the original lease the two of you signed. Legally your under contract, there shouldn't be a problem, business is business.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
I've never heard of it being illegal to not provide additional copies. A property management company would charge a nominal fee for a copy. Just send a written request and see if they oblige you, and offer to pay for their time to provide that copy.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Lol, I'll give a copy of their own lease to anyone who asks for it. We don't charge anything for that service. It costs a few cents to run the copies and about 90 seconds of my time. Now if I had to mail them to you, we might charge for that, since it is more annoying, especially if the lease is a lot of pages.

I've also scanned and emailed people's leases to them on occasion, but we have the equipment to do that very easily, if I had to scan and attach each page, I would charge for that service.

If someone bothered to ask in writing for a copy of their lease, I would think they were strange, but I would do it. Now if they asked verbally and I forgot, it would make sense to see a request in writing.

Of course, the OP doesn't have that sort of easy relationship with their landlord, so I agree that a request in writing, in that circumstance, would be the best choice. I have no idea if they have any legal obligation to give you another copy, though. Probably not. My guess would be that they don't HAVE to, they would be doing you a favor. You are entitled to A copy of anything you sign, but after that, it is your responsibility to keep track of it.

If you do make the request in writing, offer them alternatives. ie, they can scan and email you a copy to such and such email, or fax a copy to you at such and such fax, or mail a copy to you at such and such address. Whatever forms of receipt you have available. Then they can do whatever is easiest for them. Personally, I much prefer to scan and email things to people than have to deal with envelopes and postage, so I will get to them faster, and have them done. If something is going to take a fair amount of time, it goes in the "when I have time later" stack.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
In my State, last I checked... the Landlord must provide one copy at no charge at the tenants request per year...

Old 03-31-2010, 02:49 PM

If someone bothered to ask in writing for a copy of their lease, I would think they were strange, but I would do it. Now if they asked verbally and I forgot, it would make sense to see a request in writing.
Hmmmm......
The OP stated they don't speak, rather than send messages via third party, wouldn't that be the only alternative, unless he had an email address. How is this strange

Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Hmmmm......
The OP stated they don't speak, rather than send messages via third party, wouldn't that be the only alternative, unless he had an email address. How is this strange

That's why I went on to say:
Quote:
Of course, the OP doesn't have that sort of easy relationship with their landlord, so I agree that a request in writing, in that circumstance, would be the best choice.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
That's why I went on to say:
There's not anything strange about it under any circumstances, not everyone has time for face to face contact and phone calls while there working to make that rent money.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 AM

Ok, for me, a phone call or email is WAY less time spent than typing a letter, making up an envelope and getting it mailed out. I guess if you sent it with a rent payment, it would be no extra time lost. Not too weird to get a request that way.

My point was that, with the dynamic of our company and the easy relationship we have with most of our tenants, I would think it was strange that they didn't just call me and ask. I then agreed that it wouldn't be strange for the OP in his situation to do so. If you want to argue with that, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 42,134 times
Hi, Im in Texas and was wondering if anyone could help.. I recently lost my original lease from place I just moved from , in the move. My old landlord and I are not on the best terms. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a copy of the lease..maybe online at TREC website? Or call a number to request a copy from some one other than the landlord?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting