Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,153,001 times

Advertisements

I moved into a half way nice complex 2.5 or so years ago. At the time I thought I would buy a house but the market doesn't really have what I'm looking for and well I could go on but I'll just stop there. Suffice to say I'm still in this apt long after I thought I would be and have no idea when I'll move if ever till I retire in 7 years when I'll move to a different state.
So - I have rather stupidly been paying 50.00 extra a month to be on a no lease contract.
A side story - At one point about a year ago I asked one of the managers about getting new carpeting (I'm assuming they were planning on replacing it after I moved out after a year or so because thats what it looks like) and he got all bent out of shape because I wasn't on a lease. I just laughed and told him to talk to his corporate office to see if they were all upset that I was paying extra after a 1 year lease would have expired. He called back all mollified but no new carpet.

Basically after 2.5 years I would like to ask for the normal rate. I feel that with bigger complex's, especially ones that probably own other complexes - it will be harder because its just that big faceless bureacracy. The complex managers are their No men and don't have the authority to approve that though I'm not sure about that. I feel like I would probably have to get beyond them but am not sure how.
There have been some brand new large complex'es built around me and I'm not sure if that is what has left the two units next to me empty for some time. Tenants have been a mix of nice young starting out adults, young starting out families, some military (near an Air Force Base) but are now increasingly loud obnoxious college students and what seems to be a slightly lower standard of people. There are newer nicer places for cheaper a little farther from work but I don't really want to move. I don't think I have the upgraded cabinets from the old fake wood brown to whats shown in the office show kitchen now of off white plastic fronts (not a big deal to me) and like I said the carpet is a bit iffy but basically not too bad.
I feel at almost 3 years I've been one of the longest tenants! I'm an older quiet person, hermit practically, single, no pets. The only time I call is for occasional maintenance and I pay my rent on time.
What arguments should I include in a letter? Should I try to send a letter straight to "corporate" whoever that is and cc the complex managers? Or vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 01:07 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Deal from a position of strength... in other words have a plan B ready.

If you can do better price wise by moving it doesn't hurt to mention this and see if management is interested in a reduction... just don't be surprised if they are not interested.

I've reduced rent on a few rare occasions in special circumstances... one was a fantastic family where two of the children were now on their own and they no longer needed to be in a four bedroom home... I was going overseas and didn't want to deal with a vacancy... it worked out well for me and they were pleased... two years later, I had a smaller home available and moved them into it and they are still there today...

Old 04-05-2010, 05:35 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,349,010 times
Why don't you just offer to sign a lease? Isn't that why you're paying $50 extra? Because you didn't want to be tied down? If that's the only reason your rent is more, then it seems like it would be super easy to make the switch!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:46 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Why don't you just offer to sign a lease? Isn't that why you're paying $50 extra? Because you didn't want to be tied down? If that's the only reason your rent is more, then it seems like it would be super easy to make the switch!
there is always something else

Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,815,346 times
Offer to sign a lease, with new carpet. If not, have a backup plan and share it with them. Even if it's move to another apartment with new carpet on a lease. If you have the address and a name, send a letter to corporate with a copy to the leasing office manager. Mention in the letter that you have discussed the carpet with the leasing office with no results.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,028,801 times
Everything is negotiable. YOu would be suprised on what you will get if you ask. However, with a large corporation managing the complex, I would think it would be more difficult.

One time, I was able to get a landlord down $100 per month for renewing a lease, and another $100 per month the next years lease. He was a private landlord though, I was an excellent tennant, and his business was not doing well.

Just have a backup plan, and be prepared to move. Explain why the other place is a better deal. Then tell them why you would be willing to stay, only if ....

The worst that can happen is they will tell you no.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,384 times
Research prices, tell them you have decided to stay and sign a lease, if they replace the carpet and bring your rent to market level (assuming it's lower). Otherwise move, or accept your circumstance. Landlords do not like to lose quite, clean, paying tenants to competition simply because they ask for what is widely available (new carpet and lower rent)... my opinion only....

Old 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,153,001 times
I'm not interested in ultimatum's or moving. Nor do I want to sign a year lease. I've already been here longer than most and have a month to month lease that requires me to give a certain amount of notice, be responsible for damages etc. etc. So....regardless of opinions no helpful suggestions on approaches.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm not interested in ultimatum's or moving. Nor do I want to sign a year lease. I've already been here longer than most and have a month to month lease that requires me to give a certain amount of notice, be responsible for damages etc. etc. So....regardless of opinions no helpful suggestions on approaches.
In deciding to dismiss suggestions on approaches coupled with being unwilling to sign a lease or move... you have eliminated all options.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,028,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
In deciding to dismiss suggestions on approaches coupled with being unwilling to sign a lease or move... you have eliminated all options.
Well he/she can offer sexual favors to the landlord, but other than that, no more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting