Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,720 times

Advertisements

I currently live in fraternity house in WI, and have for the past 1.5 years. I am not a member of the fraternity, nor do I routinely participate in their events. In order to manage the house, the fraternity has set up a non-profit organization to manage the house (collect rent, pay utlities and mortgage, etc). I currently hold a lease on a room in the house. On my floor, I am the only resident.

From time to time, the fraternity holds events and hosts guests. I am open to this, especially since they pay for 1/5 of the utilities on the house for the rights to the chapter room (not on my floor). This weekend is extremely atypical: I was informed today that they had invited nearly 50 people to stay at the house this weekend. It is an eight bedroom house, and while there is one empty room on my floor, space is still somewhat tight. I offered to host 8 people on my floor, but apparently this is not enough. Am I obligated to host all of these people? Do I even have to host any of them? Do I have any recourse? I feel like my rights as a tenant, as well as my generosity, are being abused. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times
I'm confused by your use of the term "room" and "floor." If you are renting a single room, then that is your space. What goes on on the rest of the floor shouldn't be your concern unless that is leased to you as well?

Are you saying that they are planning to host people in the empty room on your floor and you feel that is not right? Or, are they asking you to have guests sleep in your room as well?

I'm shocked that a fraternity would permit a non-member to live in a fraternity dwelling anyway. Do you get along with them well? Do you want to continue getting along and continue living there?

If this is a one weekend event where people are coming in from all over, I don't see why you wouldn't be accommodating to them if for nothing else than to keep good relations with the members.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
you expected peace n quite in a Frat House???????

wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting