Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:22 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times

Advertisements

Another vote for changing your locks!
There's companies out there that will screen prospective renters for you.! Tenant Screening | Tenant Screening Services | Landlord Screening | Tenant Verification Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times
thanks everyone. I assume kodaka always writes that kind of post. Someone always misses the point. I never said this was a bed and breakfast. I just said I needed help with the mortgage and was trying to help someone who really had nothing and nowhere to go. Hopefully he's eating with his great dishes in his storage shed now.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The pride of place expressed in OP seems a little odd. You call it beautiful and espouse its architectural qualities and offer tours. And mention how much better your house is than all the neighbors. And yet you've got dog hair and piles of mail everywhere. I think keeping an immaculate architectural masterpiece and maintaining a lived-in look are both fine lifestyles. But they are contradictory.

Furthermore I don't really get what your home decor or housekeeping regimen has to do with your problem tenant at all. He was shocked that you didn't have a "functional" kitchen? And your appliances don't work? Well yeah, I would think that might be an important thing to mention to a tenant before they move in. Kitchens are generally something houses have, and its pretty reasonable that a tenant would expect to have access to one. I can see a tenant being a little pissed off upon discovering that they don't have any appliances to use.

He does sound like a nutter, but frankly OP seems to have some rather odd ideas about being a landlord too.
LOL, I originally posted this under "Relationships" because I was trying to get more at his psychology - not so much the rental provisions, but the paranoia, his fear of being alone, other crazy stuff, the facts just kept changing.

I pay about $2500 a month for mortgage and utilities; considering maintenance I probably pay $3000. If someone is desperate for a room, wants to live in this neighborhood, says he'll stay out of the way and help around the house, then "flips" and start talking about his upper class upbringing and exalted expectations - that's the story here. What would you expect for $400 under the circumstances? It's not like he's splitting the mortgage. He's not even covering the utilities.

I lived up to everything I offered him. A day without a refrigerator was not a crisis. He's the one who changed the terms, not me.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
LOL, I originally posted this under "Relationships" because I was trying to get more at his psychology - not so much the rental provisions, but the paranoia, his fear of being alone, other crazy stuff, the facts just kept changing.

I pay about $2500 a month for mortgage and utilities; considering maintenance I probably pay $3000. If someone is desperate for a room, wants to live in this neighborhood, says he'll stay out of the way and help around the house, then "flips" and start talking about his upper class upbringing and exalted expectations - that's the story here. What would you expect for $400 under the circumstances? It's not like he's splitting the mortgage. He's not even covering the utilities.

I lived up to everything I offered him. A day without a refrigerator was not a crisis. He's the one who changed the terms, not me.
And that's all fine. I just don't get what any of this has to do with how 'beautiful' your home is. Or how clean or organized it is. Or how it compares to the neighbors. Or why you care that your tenant criticized your home.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:50 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I'd listen for him in the attic or basement in case he decides to move back in secretly. Check out the movie " Bad Ronald" on You Tube.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd listen for him in the attic or basement in case he decides to move back in secretly. Check out the movie " Bad Ronald" on You Tube.
Oh my gosh, when I was in "junior high" we went to the auditorium for a movie and it was "Bad Ronald" and mid-way through they realized there was a BIG PROBLEM and started blocking the picture and then dismissed us. Something bizarre just happened with my dog's tags (her collar is intact, but the tags were found somewhere in town) and I wondered if I should be worried ...

Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
And that's all fine. I just don't get what any of this has to do with how 'beautiful' your home is. Or how clean or organized it is. Or how it compares to the neighbors. Or why you care that your tenant criticized your home.
He wanted to live here because of this particular neighborhood. I relocated from a very different real estate market (Washington DC) and so I was thrilled to be able to move into this "fancy/luxury" neighborhood for a DC "parking lot" price. Sorry.

So, you know, he just figured that people in "this neighborhood" would have fancy pots and pans and whatever; and I just figured that to live in this neighborhood, he would be grateful enough to supply his own. Obviously I'm using that example metaphorically.

With all due respect, I am barely hanging on to this house. So, as I look around at other homes, other neighborhoods, I realize how much space and architectural detail I have here. It's "quality" and space. It's also safety and good schools and good neighbors.

So I thought the deal was "you get the great neighborhood". And the house is OK too. It's actually pretty nice. It's just "what it is" - a home with pets and a young child and a woman who lost her fancy china in a divorce. But it's fine, no crazy hoarding, no fungus in the refrigerator, nothing disgusting or insane. A little fuzz in the dryer, etc. Ugh.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
The situation sounds crazy and I think it's dangerous to have a strange man you barely know share your house with you (presumably a woman) and your young DAUGHTER who has no choice in the situation. I'm pretty annoyed, but I will try to avoid personal attacks.

I suggest you:
1. Reconsider your desire to "hang on" to the house. Your child will not benefit much from the good schools if she is in danger at home.
2. Terminate the person's lease as soon as possible. Give 60 days notice.
3. Search for a new tenant. ADVERTISE. This costs money.
4. SCREEN your tenants. Do a Credit, CRIMINAL and Background check on EACH tenant. Have the Tenant fill out an APPLICATION and provide REFERENCES. OMG I'm actually getting angry. Calming... Remember you can live with anybody, but your child has to live with your choices so do your best to make sure a crazy person is not living in the house. You can find court records online for free in MD.
5. If you don't have these create/obtain a: lease and house rules that you and the tenant will sign.

Best of luck.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
kinkytoes, with all due respect it's usually a good idea to read the whole thread before responding. All the issues you raise have already been addressed and the tenant is long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting