Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Actually it's called Affordable Housing and has nothing to do with welfare.

We have two places here in town that have a percentage of their apartments available as affordable housing. No welfare or Section 8 allowed. The ppl that are applying for these places only make about $12 and hour and need a decent affordable place to live.

And these places are beautiful too.
Is welfare.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
lol

same song, different verse
He doesn't seem to understand the government is telling his relative what to with their property...LOL

Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Working class ppl need places to live too. And for your information, you have to be working in order to be approved for a place like this. You can't be receiving Section 8 or any other "living expenses"...you can receive food stamps, but that's pretty much it. ( maybe daycare allowence...but not section 8) And every year you have to show your paystubs and stay within the limits to continue at that rent rate.

Not all the apartments in the complex are 'affordable' just small percent...and I personally see nothing wrong it. Why shouldn't someone who is working $11 or so dollars a hour not live in nice, safe, comfortable home?
Because someone some where is making up the difference in the rent and it's probably you through higher taxes....

Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Income restricted housing is NOT subsidized and is not section 8. I think a lot of you have no idea what your talking about, but if it makes you fell like you have a brain, go ahead and talk out of stupidity. The only point your making is to show how little you know.
Why don't you explain to us dummies where they extra money for the rent comes from....

If you think the owner is just giving away free rent think again....

Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
the government pays the LL the difference in rent.

Pacificflights ~~ suppose you enlighten us all with your knowledge.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:49 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Because someone some where is making up the difference in the rent and it's probably you through higher taxes....

And guess what??? That doesn't bother me one bit. Everyone deserves a decent place to live.

And according to these places...they aren't getting kickbacks from the govy. This is not a govt funded apartment complex. It's one that is privately owned and managed...and maybe they get a tax break, but they do not get a monthly check making up the difference.

And just so you...we are talking about 9 or so apts in a complex of 900. Wow, they are raking in that tax dough aren't they?

Old 05-11-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
the government pays the LL the difference in rent.

Pacificflights ~~ suppose you enlighten us all with your knowledge.

Yes, please do tell.

Considering not all apts are rented at the same rate anyway...why do you care if someone is paying less?

Most places run specials once or twice a year....do you think they adjust the current lease holders rent to the current special? Um...I don't think so..but maybe the govt does!!!!!!

I think some of you are thinking about govt housing... think large apt complexes that are run by the govt....these are not run nor owned by the govt.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
I don't know all the details, but he's been doing this for well over 30 years.
What I do know is the governement did not tell or make him do anything.
I know he gets no tax breaks on those apartments.
I know he gets no other payments on those apartments.
I know his management company selects occupants to their standards with income restrictions appying only to those set aside for income restrictions.
I know nobody is paying more than what he initially estimated for the apartments.
I know he is not forced to accept any occupant who falls below his set criteria.

I also know that he made the offer to set aside a certain number in exchange for being allowed to develop an ajoining property where the density was lower. By agreeing to let him develop to the higher density, he offered to set aside a certain number with income restrictions to help mid wage erners to have a chance to live closer to town.

that was the reality. You may not like it. You may wish it didn't happen (and wish is isn't still happening that way). You may want to ignore it. You may hope others miss it so what you want can still be repeated over and over. And it may not agree with your social and political position. BUT, that is what happened and you can't change it no matter what you want to belive.

I still think some of you want this to be a political debate over social issues. You are trying to claim that all income restricted housing falls into subsidized or low income, but that is not the fact. There may be some, and maybe many where you live, but not all. Since the OP has not provided details except to say they were offered another apartment at a higher rate, nobody has any idea if it was subsidized or just a set aside. I belive many are ignoring that developers set aside certain apartment with income restrictions because they are getting something else in return that makes it worthwhile. OR maybe some developers just understand the value of having a blend of people and are willing to work towards that blend. Whatever, it may be, you don't know - so get over it.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:21 PM

Thank you for sharing that information. I hope this clears up some of the confusion

Some ppl will think what they want to think because they feel they are being shortchaned or screwed because someone got something they didn't.

If the OP was offered the apt at same price as those with low income, he'd be all over it and you'd see him here bragging about the deal he got. lol

Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 PM

73 posts, read 586,559 times
Quote:
So you are Ok with paying your rent in full yourself and you don't mind helping to pay part someone elses rent too?
Yes, I'm okay with it. I know some people don't want to help others and don't want a single penny of their money to go to anyone but themselves, but I'd rather live in a society where there is some assistance for people in need so I don't mind that my money helps pay for it. Maybe this means I should live in Europe instead of here, but I haven't given up on this place yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting