Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,312 times

Advertisements

So my landlord has been lagging on a few maintenance jobs.I've made complaint after complaint for pest control.I've accumulated just about 8,000.00 worth of emergency room bills due to poisonous spider bites and she was only willing to pay for pest control once!now comes the bigger problem my lease clearly states this a 1-2 year contract, I'm 4 months into my lease and just discovered the house is for sale and has been for the last 6-7 days. where do i go from here? do i just stop paying her at once? can't i sue her?

Last edited by lizzy510; 05-06-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 PM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
Well then you should have sprayed yourself. Isn't your life worth anything to you?
I would not have waited for the LL to do it, your the one living there.

and if it is that bad, move.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy510 View Post
So my landlord has been lagging on a few maintenance jobs.I've made complaint after complaint for pest control.I've accumulated just about 8,000.00 worth of emergency room bills due to poisonous spider bites and she was only willing to pay for pest control once!now comes the bigger problem my lease clearly states this a 1-2 year contract, I'm 4 months into my lease and just discovered the house is for sale and has been for the last 6-7 days. where do i go from here? do i just stop paying her at once? can't i sue her?
spraying myself wasn't the issue!i sprayed the window seals the outer linings of the house,every room and sprayed "off" on myself every night! so spraying myself with chemicals wasn't the problem! i even moved to another one of HER properties and still its the same problem! she didn't spray for pest control before moving us in and said she had already done it.the 8,000.00 is amongst my 5 year old and my fiance as well as myself just to clear that one up.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:29 PM

i didn't wait for her to come and pay for the pest control.after i discoverd that i was living in a black widow and brown recluse infested home i made an appointment for them to come out but i deducted the pest control fee's and paid for their visit and bot was she pissed. so thats what ive been doin for the last 4 months spraying every other MONTH!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
You've been spraying every month for the last 4 months and you're 4 months into the lease... sounds like just the residual from the chemical treatments should keep everything under control.

I don't understand why you would move into another unit under the same management?

The biggest benefit of being a renter is flexibility and not being tied down...

As for suing... Small Claims is an option.

I'm not familiar with a 1-2 year lease.

The sale of the property has no bearing on the Rental Agreement... from your description... a change in management could be an improvement.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,436,574 times
The owner has the right to sell the home, heres a good site, where you may find some answers.

What should I know before I rent? (http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_generic.jsp?cid=10581&id=2185 - broken link)

What does the lease say about pest control?

Natural Methods to Eliminate Spiders

Eliminating Spiders Around Homes and Buildings | University of Kentucky Entomology

Last edited by virgode; 05-06-2010 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 PM

577 posts, read 896,579 times
We had what we thought was a home infested with brown recluse spiders because we kept getting horrific, infected spider bites-- and we did have visible spiders-- but it turned out we were passing around a virulent staph infection.

More than one physician called the boils spider bites but they were, in fact, caused by staph and not spiders.

The spiders we thought were brown recluse were actually common house spiders.

Have your spiders been IDed by an expert? Have you had cultures done on the bites?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
We had what we thought was a home infested with brown recluse spiders because we kept getting horrific, infected spider bites-- and we did have visible spiders-- but it turned out we were passing around a virulent staph infection.

More than one physician called the boils spider bites but they were, in fact, caused by staph and not spiders.

The spiders we thought were brown recluse were actually common house spiders.

Have your spiders been IDed by an expert? Have you had cultures done on the bites?
Excellent point! It is easy to get the wrong diagnoses when multiple sources can provide the same results...

Years ago... I was put through you know what when a tenant claimed she had contracted legionnaires disease... Legionnaires was in the new a lot at the time.

It took getting the county Health Department involved and the Doctor later testified that she only mentioned to the tenant Legionnaires was a "Possible" cause...

In the end... the home received a clean bill of health... I could only imagine what the county spent on testing

Old 05-08-2010, 12:04 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,263,975 times
what are you going to sue for? Placing the house on the market or medical bills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting