Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Carpet change out in an occupied unit is something I detest with a passion... it seldom goes right.

My last one was 3 years ago... pad extra to have the carpet installed on a Saturday as per tenant.

None of the carpet installer move furniture... and especially not electronics and computers.

Tenant sent me an e-mail stating she understood all carpeted areas must be clear by 9 am Saturday morning is this 3 bedroom home.

Installers arrive and a 13 year old daughter is at home and said all the people that were supposed to help did not show up and Mom got called into work.

A lot of people were not happy especially the 3 installers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:59 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
WOW When they put my new floor in the guys came we had all but 2 chairs out of the Living room. I asked the guys to set them outside for me..they brought them back when they were done. But I got a ton of Thank You from them. While they removed the old carpet & did the prep for the new flooring I couldn't believe the Nightmare Stories the guys told me! They were really happy & so was I to get it done in a timely manner.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:32 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,760,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
If your there 17 years, obviously you aren't moving anytime soon, don't be so cheap, buy the paint and carpet yourself. What is the big deal, you are the one living there.

I hate tenants that dont want to life a finger or spend a dime, makes me crazy
Those dummy tenants right? What a bunch of idiots. How DARE they live on MY property and not offer to renovate it!! I mean come on!! Why can't they put on a new roof? Or why can't they do some remodeling for me?! THEY are the ones living there! THEY have the privilege of living on MY property, the least they could do is fix it up a bit. Throw in some new carpeting, buy the paint and repaint it already mr/Mrs. tenant.

Jesus, Nightcrawler, go back into the night and disappear.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 691 times
I've been living in my house 10 years. I have a few questions. My carpet is okd and filthy, because of where I live. Lots of dust or mud. I haven't painted. Is this my landlords responsibility? I have a problem with my bathroom...there has been a slow leak and my floor had to be torn out. A plumber was not called just maintenance man, who has no experience in this matter. Floor was torn out to the beams. Smelled so bad, mold. I have fibromyalgia and cfs/me. This made me feel sick. I went outside and lied down with my dog. They didn't remove all mold. Next day they began putting down subfloor very slowly, this went on for 3 weeks. Bottem of wall never fixed, holes water damage etc. No sink. He won't replace sink cupboard and it is moldy. Landlord said it won't hurt me it's fine, because its not toxic. The maintenance man came back a few more times to cut and put in subfloor. Leaking is continuing. Then finally came back to put in linoleum. He did a terrible job. Bubbles, creases, not reaching all the way to wall and in some ares didn't stick to subfloor. He left a week ago and never came back to trim around heating vent or put in baseboard and I still have no sink.

It has several layers of subfloor and the first layer I felt awfully sick. Thought it was the subfloor chemicals, then I found can of raid. Big warning on it...I can't be around toxins. It's been a month. Still leaking no sink holes in the base of my wall. Need new carpeting through house and walls need fresh paint... Sorry so longwinded. Any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2016, 01:51 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly Gibson View Post
I've been living in my house 10 years. I have a few questions. My carpet is okd and filthy, because of where I live. Lots of dust or mud. I haven't painted. Is this my landlords responsibility? I have a problem with my bathroom...there has been a slow leak and my floor had to be torn out. A plumber was not called just maintenance man, who has no experience in this matter. Floor was torn out to the beams. Smelled so bad, mold. I have fibromyalgia and cfs/me. This made me feel sick. I went outside and lied down with my dog. They didn't remove all mold. Next day they began putting down subfloor very slowly, this went on for 3 weeks. Bottem of wall never fixed, holes water damage etc. No sink. He won't replace sink cupboard and it is moldy. Landlord said it won't hurt me it's fine, because its not toxic. The maintenance man came back a few more times to cut and put in subfloor. Leaking is continuing. Then finally came back to put in linoleum. He did a terrible job. Bubbles, creases, not reaching all the way to wall and in some ares didn't stick to subfloor. He left a week ago and never came back to trim around heating vent or put in baseboard and I still have no sink.

It has several layers of subfloor and the first layer I felt awfully sick. Thought it was the subfloor chemicals, then I found can of raid. Big warning on it...I can't be around toxins. It's been a month. Still leaking no sink holes in the base of my wall. Need new carpeting through house and walls need fresh paint... Sorry so longwinded. Any suggestions?
Move.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:59 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly Gibson View Post
........ My carpet is okd and filthy, because of where I live. Lots of dust or mud............
No, actually, your carpet is filthy because you never clean.

It is not your responsibility that the carpet is old and the damage to the bathroom doesn't sound like it is going to be your responsibility. How long was it leaking before you reported it?

Painting is not your responsibility if the paint is just old. If you actually damaged the paint, you can be billed for repairs, and since you never clean, you can be charged for washing the walls.

It's very clear to me that it is time for you to give notice and move out. You aren't happy there.

No landlord is responsible for your chemical sensitivity. It is your responsibility to find a place to rent that doesn't bother your allergies. No landlord is going to make special accommodation for your allergies.

It's just me, but of I had so many allergies, I would be deep cleaning all the time to reduce allergens in my home environment.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 547 times
The walls and ceiling were replaced in the bedrooms of our condo unit due to rain damage as a result of the landlord's negligence, and the lanlord insisted, despite of our protest, to repaint the walls white white, instead of the original tan color we had at the time we leased the place. What kind of legal remedy or remedies do we have, to force the landlord to repaint the wall to their original color? We live in Los Angeles.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:08 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbental View Post
The walls and ceiling were replaced in the bedrooms of our condo unit due to rain damage as a result of the landlord's negligence, and the lanlord insisted, despite of our protest, to repaint the walls white white, instead of the original tan color we had at the time we leased the place. What kind of legal remedy or remedies do we have, to force the landlord to repaint the wall to their original color? We live in Los Angeles.
None. The ll chooses the color not the tenant.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:15 AM

68 posts, read 90,073 times
Hi,
I agree with nightcrawler if you are living in the house from last 17 years, then you can paint or replace the carpets of your house, because you are living in the house not landlord.
Thanks!!

Old 03-16-2017, 02:13 PM

35 posts, read 28,084 times
Your landlord is not obligated to repair anything, if the home passes inspection. I offer to replace the carpet & paint every 5 years but have had tenants decline because it's still in good condition. Even my own home's paint and carpet is 17 years old & doesn't need replacing. Your only option is to move, if you don't like it. After 10 years, a landlord cannot deduct anything for the paint or carpet, out of the deposit. It's pro-rated until year 10.

If there is carpet damage prior to year 10, they can charge it to your deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting